3. Norwood
4. Forestville
5. Southern
6. South
7. North
8. West
9. Centrals
10. Eastern

Enjoyed last week so thought I would try a weekly power rankings.

Sturt may not win it all, but unbeaten so far and playing very well, so they deserve the top spot. An even team balance means the pressure is not on one or two players every week to deliver and coaching has been first rate.

Woodville finally had their first loss after a lot of hype. Can they regroup and do they defer too much to Jacobs. If he isn't going well, who do they look to. Sturt looks like they had great game plan with an assortment of guards to matchup with Woodvilles back court. Devon McGee has also been missing since round 1 and dominated the summer league. Boonstoppel, Jackson and Stanbridge have been solid. At this stage, one of the contenders.

Norwood
With Turnage, they probably have the best player in the league and has good support around him. Lycett and D.Webber have a lot of miles on the clock so good to finally see some youngsters come through. If Green can contribute a lot more they could be dangerous, but so far has been inconsistent. Should hang around this spot for most of season IMO.

Forestville
At the moment they are living and dying by what Harris and his cool new haircut produces. Aside from Starling, Mays is the best big in the league and is good for 20 and 10 most nights. Losing Brine to an ankle may hurt short term, but may enable kids like Malith Machar to get some experience and minutes in his absence. But losing Teys and and Dewitt has proven costly in their title defence, just with their experience and ability to settle the team down. And despite the naysayers about Teys in the sixers, he is a great NBL1 player and could just get you those easy points that you need. But with Andy, you never know what's up his and lawyers sleeve for when finals come around.

Southern has a thin bench but has exceeded expectations. Apart from a last quarter fade out against West they could be 3-1. Should pick up another win this week against Central, hopefully they can get some minutes from their bench to give their starters a breather.

South. Starling is up there with Turnage in terms of Woollacott votes I would say and Johns has been steady. Ellison has been good but far more suited to coming off the bench. But Hulland and Mudronja are way lesser players than what North are waiting for in McVeigh and Dech. Hulland earnt a spot with one good preseason game when he hit a few threes and Mudronja has hardly been spectacular in his NBL appearances. They will certainly help, but are they enough to get the Panthers into contention. They did only lose to Norwood by a point and also to Southern by 3, so could be 4-0. But something doesn't feel right, and that probably starts with the coaching. Petty has been the butt of a lot of jokes on this forum, is he the right guy for the job? If they are sitting around 50% at the midway mark of the season, could a move be made, Starling or Johns as playing coaches. Cant remember the last time I've seen that since maybe Spear many years ago.

North finally get a win, desperate for their big 2 to come in. Even so, they've been getting embarrassed in nearly all of their games. And how long will it take for them to mesh with their team mates and a pecking order to be sorted. Dowdell has been disappointing, but probably getting targeted a lot inside. But this roster should shoot up the ladder in a month or so.

There has been a lot of turnover at West, speculation to do with Coreys style and guys tuning out and leaving. So its surprising that this new lot of guys seem to be doing the same. On their day they can beat anyone, but conversely they look terrible a lot. Maybe a bit more time is needed to mesh, especially with a ball dominant player like Ross coming in. Not sure where they will finally end up.
Centrals were lucky to get a win in opening round against a disinterested West. Dave Humphries will ease the load for Lual Diing and provide a veteran influence with a team of very good athletes. Should beat a few teams above them from time to time, but just not a very good team.
Nearly choked on my tim tam when I saw Rojo mentioned as coach of the year in one writeup. But he has definitely improved the least talented team in the league, but that's their problem, lack of talent. In previous years they could scrape a couple of wins behind a really good import, they don't have that luxury this year. Will really have to catch a team totally off guard to get a win or 2 this season.

Topic #48427 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome write up, love your work

Reply #845558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd still have North lower. One good win but the rest blowouts. I think I would only have them above Eastern at the moment.

Reply #845686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually maybe I would have it like this. At least Centrals have been competitive in their losses.

Centrals 7
North 8
West 9

Eastern 10.

Reply #845687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals have been competitive?!? Look at the Woodville and Sturt games and tell me if that is competitive? Look at their result v West and North's v West. There is no way North will finish lower than Centrals

In fact I think North is a good chance of making the finals and if they are there could be a handful. North is a new team, new coach and new systems and are beginning to gel both offensively and defensively. They will not finish 8th

Reply #845743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure you understand power rankings. They’re not end of season rankings, they’re current rankings.

Having said that North have had 1 good game. I still think finals will be a stretch for them.

Reply #845758 | Report this post

NBLcentralWOJ  
Years ago

Think North would have hoped to have a few more wins before they get McVeigh and Dech. IMO they will be fine and go on a run then and should comfortably make finals.

Reply #845779 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

North just picked up Ayol who had 20pts on debut, and rumour has it they hope to have Jack Purchase in their line up, possibly this weekend. If they can string some wins together waiting for McVeigh and Dech, they'll finish top 4.

Reply #845787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purchase is playing for a few weeks to chalk up wins until McVeigh and Dech are available.

Reply #845791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also North has a not too bad back end to the rest of the first round playing 4 teams in bottom half and Sturt this week who are missing players. Given they are one game out of top five at the moment they are starting to look good

Reply #845822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville too high will be in a dog fight to make playoffs

Reply #845842 | Report this post

NBL1 OG  
Years ago

Southern are the surprise for me. Will be interesting if they can keep this up after a 2-0 weekend. If they can they will be legitimate finals contenders.

Reply #845848 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Wests Mens rotations are bad.... the rumors that corey cant coach must be true.
Hand in his hands after several plays late, when 2 of his best young playmakers sit on the bench. give the kids a run

Reply #846239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what happens when an old player is really running the ship

Reply #846241 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Rookie Akok Machar gets 11 rebounds! including 4 o boards, in just 15 minutes.
Fabian plays 19

While Old man Spud plays 23 Minutes!!!!

Reply #846246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good teams have good role players to be the glue to make the team. Pointless having a group of skilled players running around like headless chooks and trying to do overly difficult things by themselves

Reply #846273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also pointless is having a non scoring threat where his/her defender sits in the middle of the key helping on everybody else.

Reply #846282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh the old view of you don't score you are not worthy of playing. I recall a quote from Larry Bird from an interview when he scored 30ish and said you shouldn’t be interviewing the scorer but you should be interviewing the person who gets the ball to the scorer. Without them I’m not successful

Reply #846283 | Report this post

Tjamu  
Years ago

Has Corey now hit that point where hes past his use by date?
mayber he hit that point previously.

I sorta feel like he was good and I guess i more so speak for when he was at Woodville. He is a solid scout and has the knowledge but maybe as a San Antonio fan, hes just trying too hard to be a Popovich like "no nonsense dictator" that froths over "system basketball" that in turn becomes outdated.

Sorta seems to be. Because over the last 4-5 years theres been some good kids in that team that didnt get to play. Aty Woodville it was fine to ride Bridgey, Creek, Starling, Ian Nixson, Aaron Wyatt, Cam Wilson amongst other veterans and imports over the years over the kids, cos Woodville's kids bar Dan McKee who could play D but was a torrid shooter and had ZERO offense to his game in that time were dog shit (apologies boys).

Sorta feel like he doesnt have the personnel for what hes trying to do. When he does, he wins (won a title at Woodville and at West) but when theres kids, if youre not a $1.05 to win it, just develop them,

Reply #846287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

283, different anon: Spud had 1 assist, 3 turnovers, 4 fouls and not much else in 23 minutes. It's safe to say Bird wouldn't be getting the silver service.

Spud can't shoot so his defender literally stands in the key, which detracts from his teammates. The fact he's playing isn't an issue - he can add value to a team in many ways - but the amount of court time he receives doesn't align with his current level of production.

Meanwhile Akok's statline and gameplay was actually solid, and impressive for a rookie. I'm sure he made mistakes that warranted being benched and having a conversation, but 15mins? Come on.

Reply #846298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous week Spud had 10 assists and put some defensive pressure on the opposition.

Reply #846300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

283, nobody said he's not worthy of playing. Just not worthy of playing 20+ mins a game.
21.08 - Loss
9.10 - Win
2.40 - Win
25.46 - Loss
23.02 - Loss

Reply #846301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you should've tell South that Spud was good the other week and they might have gifted him some assists.

Reply #846308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has looked like Spud is on a tight leash offensively ,can he be fully to blame for not being a scoring threat if thats the case?

Reply #846313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he stands on the 3pt line and cannot hit that open shot consistently, yes.

Reply #846320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Akok is definitely not a point guard, neither is Johnson. And just from a quick watch yesterday, half of Akok's offensive rebounds were off his own point blank misses. Spud is definitely not a starter, but his job would be to look after the ball and play defence. His turnovers in some games aren't good, but obviously Corey thinks he is the better option at times. Could really be a nightmare handing the keys to those young guards. Losing Thomas has been huge for them, would think they would have gone for an import guard if that was an option. But even then they have struggled not having a true post option, relying more on the perimeter. Would like to see Ross go more inside at times depending on his matchup.

Reply #846325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed most playing out of position, even Ross when fit is really a guard. They definitely miss Thomas + Truslove this year

Reply #846335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spud is a backup, pure and simple and not his fault he's been thrust into playing more minutes than he should.
Seriously though, what is the solution? Maybe Johnson can play more point and live with his ups and downs. Ross would have taken up fair bit of budget, so any chance of finding a bench nbl player who hasn't signed already is virtually nil. Season is slipping by very quickly for them, maybe it's about building for the future and playing the kids. Not winning with the formula they have atm. And maybe Corey's time is up there, if South totally fail that might be an attractive job.

Reply #846349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell Spud he's a backup, cos he certainly doesn't believe that.

Reply #846443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:03 pm, Sun 19 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754