Homicide's Sauce
Years ago

Will we see Mostly NBA Boomers in Tokyo?

I don't watch NBA, so don't know what style Brown coaches.

But, putting aside inevitable injuries, what does a full-strength squad look like? Predominantly NBA?

Aron Baynes
Jonah Bolden
Ryan Broekhoff
Matthew Dellavedova
Dante Exum
Joe Ingles
Thon Maker
Patty Mills
Ben Simmons

Jock Landale's move to the NB would seem inevitable, although might not actually precede the Olympics.
That's 10. Do any NBL players make the cut?

Will Brown roll out Bogut and his Zimmer for one more shuffle? Or is he more likely to give youth ago in the form of Humphries???

Obviously this place will go into a meltdown if he dares to pick Bolden.

But who from the NBL or Europe would you make a case for?
Is Motum done? Could Bairstow, Brandt, or even Reath make a case for themselves.
It will be interesting to compare Creek and Cooks this season, as that may be one spot we're a but light in, the 3/4 type role.

I know people will suggest Aussie Cotton, but who would you leave out for him? Would Brown run Mills at the 2, with Cotton as backup?

Topic #46452 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cut 3...

Simmons / Dellavedova / Exum
Mills / Cotton / Goulding
Ingles / Broekhoff / Creek
Maker / Bolden / Cooks
Baynes / Bogut / Landale

Not making final 15
WMW, Sobey, Gliddon, Green, Adel, Barlow, Bairstow, Motum, Humphries

Reply #777911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay?

Reply #777915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamelo when he naturalises

Reply #777916 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

This place will go into meltdown because you didn't pick Adel and Green.

Reply #777917 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Will Brown roll out Bogut and his Zimmer for one more shuffle? Or is he more likely to give youth ago in the form of Humphries???"

Yeah, you can lock in Bogut. Any coach who takes their job seriously doesn't use an Olympics to look to the future. And if you have the choice of Bogut or any up-and-comer for results today, you take Bogut every single time. Bogut is a lock for this team.

"But who from the NBL or Europe would you make a case for?
Is Motum done? Could Bairstow, Brandt, or even Reath make a case for themselves."

I feel like there are better players with NBA experience who are likely to be available than every name there. So I'd be surprised if any of them get serious consideration.

"Simmons / Dellavedova / Exum
Mills / Cotton / Goulding
Ingles / Broekhoff / Creek
Maker / Bolden / Cooks
Baynes / Bogut / Landale"

Cut Bolden, Creek, and I don't think Cotton will be naturalized by then but if he is, Goulding.

Reply #777920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut vs Humphries? Dumb question, Bogut still be better the Olympics after these.

Reply #777921 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

At the risk of being a broken record: does Josh Green get a gig to build capacity in the future?

Reply #777923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Green averages 13.6/4.5/2.8 in college with 46% FG, 39% 3P. He is surely good enough to be in the 2020 squad

Reply #777930 | Report this post

anonny  
Years ago

No to Creek, he SUCKS

Reply #777932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Wept!

Just once can we have a discussion without all the Lemanis fanboys crying.

Brown is an NBA coach. oO you really think his plan is just to roll out the same swill we got from Andre?
No, he's going to pick different players and do things differently.
The OP indirectly raises a couple of good points: First of all as an NBA coach is he going to prefer players that he actually sees playing and whose merits he can judge? Bolden may not be NBA ready yet but Brown is in a better place to judge his performance that say Bairstow or Kay?
With Bogut, is Brown going to put up with his shit and his ego? And is he going to be happy to constantly run Andre's beloved "Bogut + 4" defence??
Bogut is nolonger the star of the show, not by a long-shot, so Brown doesn't have to build a team around his lack of mobility.

I think it will come to Brown's plans for the 4 spot and Landale. Surely by 2020 I would expect us to be starting Landale at Center, with Baynes as Backup. But unless he brings in a Motum, Bairstow, or Kay, we don't have enough firepower at PF. If he copies Lemanis and plays Landale at the 4, then Bogut comes back in to backup Baynes.

Reply #777934 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Guys the Tokyo Olympics are only 236 days away. I seriously doubt that any players are going to dramatically regress or suddenly get superpowers in that time.

Reply #777937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green over mills, cotton or Goulding...
At sf over ingles and Broekhoff...
Can't see it happening, no time to prove himself after ncaa season.

Reply #777938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is really good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=umR1tApdZ_k

Reply #777939 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"At the risk of being a broken record: does Josh Green get a gig to build capacity in the future?"

The next Olympics is in four years time and the next world cup in three. A bit early to be worried about the future, with plenty of Asia Cups and qualifiers to play between then and now, how about we keep that spot for a player who can produce if needed today?

"Josh Green averages 13.6/4.5/2.8 in college with 46% FG, 39% 3P. He is surely good enough to be in the 2020 squad"

Yeah, he does well against kids so he surely is good enough to play against the best adults on the planet! *eye roll*.

"Surely by 2020 I would expect us to be starting Landale at Center, with Baynes as Backup. But unless he brings in a Motum, Bairstow, or Kay, we don't have enough firepower at PF. If he copies Lemanis and plays Landale at the 4, then Bogut comes back in to backup Baynes."

Err, what? Why would you have Baynes backing up Landale? As someone said earlier, it's less than a year away. No one is going to have regressed or improved that much.

Bogut will be on the team. You can book that.

Reply #777946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale isn't even starting in Lithuania, give it a break. Pick players on form. Bogut is seven foot tall with at least seven foot arm length. Landale isn’t and size matters.

Reply #777948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm leaving Cotton out until I know for sure he is available in time.
Green can make it despite the short timeframe but it might come down partly to the NBA team that drafts him letting him go.

Lock in
Simmons, Dellavedova
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes, Bogut

Exum, Maker, Bolden and Broekhoff all might get in despite have virtually no impact this NBA season.
Leaves a backup guard spot for Goulding probably.

Oh if anyone thinks Adel, McDowellWhite or Makur Maker are a shot please put down your crack pipe.

Reply #777956 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Oh if anyone thinks Adel, McDowellWhite or Makur Maker are a shot please put down your crack pipe."

Some people are a bit obsessed with making the 2024 team the 2020 team. It's like the team is constantly on the rebuild and we never want to capitalize on where we are now or something.

"Exum, Maker, Bolden and Broekhoff all might get in despite have virtually no impact this NBA season.
Leaves a backup guard spot for Goulding probably."

If Exum and Broekhoff are healthy I think you can lock them in. Broekhoff is our best shooter and that is true whether he never gets on court again for the season or not. Exum will always have rare length, athleticism, and defense ability and his worst case scenario, if healthy, is last back up point guard off the bench. At least one of Bolden or Maker will likely make it.

I expect -

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Bolden
Bogut

Exum
Delly
Broekhoff
(Creek or Cooks)
Bogut

The other spots could be anything. I think they'll want surround Simmons with shooters though so probably Goulding and if Cotton is available, him. Who knows.

Reply #777960 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Think I'd rather keep the crack pipe and be wrong. Being right and straight, what's the point?

Reply #777961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

( Yeah, he does well against kids so he surely is good enough to play against the best adults on the planet! *eye roll*. )

Gaze, heal, delly, mills, Vlahov Mckinnon all played for the boomers at around 19 year old

Bradtke, simmons, exum started playing for the boomers when they were 16, 17.
you can put your " too young" garbage into the rubbish bin.

Reply #777993 | Report this post

Homicide's Sauce  
Years ago

At some point old players make way for new, thats life.
Its not question of building for the future, the question is whether the young player will be a better option now (or in 6~7 months time as it were).

Bogut has traditionally been amongst the first players "picked" (when available) but I agree with some that the world nolonger revolves around him.
If you're just going to say "size matters" then surely Humphries comes back into consideration???

Brown has to do something different. He has to innovate, and go at leat one better than Lemanis. That doesn't mean throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but it does mean not just tweaking Lemanis' formula.

Obviously some players pick themselves, but I'd suggest that outside the top 6 or 7, we're going to see different player sand players used in different ways. I'd be interested to here from anyone that follows the 76's because I'd suggest that's what we'll see, especially when it comes to structuring the backcourt and running plays. Will he attempt to surround Simmons with shooters, or will he de-emphasise the perimeter game?

Reply #778011 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Gaze, heal, delly, mills, Vlahov Mckinnon all played for the boomers at around 19 year old"

The Boomers didn't have several guards performing well in the NBA at that time. I really like the look of Green, but he is competing against the likes of Delly, Exum, Ingles, Simmons, Mills, Broekhoff. It might come down to whether Brown opts to select an extra guard/wing since Simmons can defend 4s. I wouldn't be so surprised if Brown reserved an end of bench spot for him, especially if Brown is likely to continue to coach the team in the next World Cup. It would follow a theme of relationship-building.

In the frontcourt, I don't see Landale as a lock at all. Kay ended up out-performing Landale at the 4. Brown will surely favour Bolden. Then there is Maker. Baynes is a deadlock level of lock as our starter at the 5. Bogut will be selected and backup Baynes, unless Brown opts to use Bolden at the 5, as he has often played with the 76ers. We all know Bolden doesn't accept being just a 3rd-string 5. So starting 4 it is. Bogut has to be selected regardless, but he might only be a 10mpg player on this team.

I have 9 locks, loosely categorised, with remaining spots if available up for grabs in brackets:
Bigs: Baynes Bogut Bolden [Maker Landale Motum Kay]
Shooter/Wing: Ingles Broekhoff [Goulding Cooks Creek Green]
Guards: Simmons Mills Delly Exum [Cotton]

I have Adel, Humphries, McDowell-White as options only if injuries decimated the options above.

Reply #778165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjd, agree with basically all of your selections there. Brown said he is going to roll out the best aussie players available, which is what should have been done in the last WC. Brown is not fuss about the " team fit " garbage which Lemanis and Longley have been advocating.

Reply #778247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Longley played in three nba championship teams, I'd think he’d no more than some loser on a forum that has never played hire than C grade.

We are great in this country at knocking our champions, players and coaches.

Reply #778255 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Interesting article came out today from Pick & Roll confirming that Matisse Thybulle has dual citizenship in Australia and USA.

Reply #789493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons / Dellavedova
Mills / Cotton / Thybulle
Ingles / Broekhoff
Landale / 2 of Kay / Maker / Bolden
Baynes / Bogut

Reply #789501 | Report this post

Could be 3 76ers on the team

Reply #789548 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Starters
Simmons
Mills
Thybulle
Ingles
Baynes

Rotation
Exum or Delladova
Broekhoff
Cooks or Creek
Bogut or Maker or Bolden or Landale

Last 3
Exum or Delladova
Cooks or Creek or Goulding
Bogut or Maker or Bolden or Landale

Let's go small

Reply #795330 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Oh Green is an outside shot as well for a spot.

Reply #795332 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

The way thing are going there won't be an Olympics!

Reply #795333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum injured again, Simmons back injury, they can be tricky, Makur producing nothing even though given time and starts, Broekoff cut, Landale coming off bench in Lithuania and euro league with not great stats. Deladova getting time now Exum is injured but very little before.

Might be good if Olympics get canceled.

Reply #795343 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Means they are fresh for the Olympics :-p

Reply #795437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nba boss stating the nba won't stop for Olympics. Hurts a lot nations, could favour some of the euro countries who have greater depth.

Reply #818422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That will hurt Canada and Aus most.

Reply #818423 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah it basically wipes out Canada and Australia and leaves the US with the Jeff Van Gundy All Stars. Definitely ripe for a euro team like France or Spain who have heaps of depth to take it.

Reply #818424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of Spain's, Serbia’s, frances are in euroleague so they’ll go.

Aus, Canada, Greece, Lithuania are inntrouble.

Japan though with home Olympics, no Hachimura or Watanabe lol.

Reply #818425 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:03 pm, Sun 9 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754