Anonymous
Years ago

Michael Aylen wins back to back ref of the year awards

What do you guys think? I don't follow the referees that closely to know who was deserving but he seems pretty good

Topic #44848 | Report this topic

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Reply #734826 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Round 2
*Insert vomit emoji here*

Reply #734827 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He's the worst referee in the league IMO. Some of that's down to just how many times I've seen him referee versus a bunch of other refs in the league, but as soon as I see he's on a game's crew I settle in and wait for the phantom whistles and botched calls. Mayberry may be the replay king, but Aylen should review footage everytime he blows his whistle.

Reply #734839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah his resume is pretty shit Angus. His accuracy is just terrible. But the people that actually know the game keep appointing him. Go figure.

Reply #734842 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The referees should have a separate awards away from the gala, as the event isnt about them and who really cares anyway?

Nobody likes the refs, and they arent followed that closely by fans. Giving them an award on the same night as the players is stupid. Being widely disliked, why bother? Is it to cause controversy for the sake of discussion?

Reply #734863 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

I disagree. I think he's clearly one of the best refs available. Doesn’t mean he’s outstanding but amongst the best of a bad bunch.

Reply #734895 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I feel like this is a similar award to that E grade social basketball trophy we all have at home.

Reply #734921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see his numbers on the fitness tests that refs do. I'd say he would fail all of them unless hot dog eating was part of it

Reply #734940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love to see your beep test mate. Or is it the yo-yo test. Either way you really know nothing about the requirments of what it takes to be an elite ref.
How many Olympics has Aylen done? How many gold medals has Aylen done?
Pretty sure you have never played any sport at an elite level, and of course never reff's at that same elite level.
What is your Beep test number?

Reply #734973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15.10 is my best beep test

Reply #734975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen couldn't do half of that

Reply #734976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless there was a donut at the finish line

Reply #734977 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This is the worst thread on this entire site.

Reply #734981 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't mind him as I think the other refs seem to struggle more with the pressure, crowds, game situation etc but he doesn't... he just makes strange calls.

Fantastic speech though.

Has Aylen won 10 referee of the year awards ?

Would have been nice to hear how his record is compared to Billy Mildenhall, Ray Hunt and the other greats

Reply #734984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen does make some bad mistakes, but overall he is the best ref in the league. Back in his prime he was an excellent official, those days are long gone but it's a good thing he's still in the league helping all the young refs who are coming through.

Reply #735000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildenhall 16
Crouch 13
Aylen 10
Butler 4
Hunt 3
Barnett 3
Mayberry 2

Reply #735004 | Report this post

Warney  
Years ago

Does he still have his flavour saver?

Reply #735149 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Does he still play fantasy NBL?

Reply #735155 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Fri 7 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754