Dazz
Years ago

Will the Wildcats bring Ennis back?

From the recent article quoting Jeremy Loeliger, it appears that 3 imports are highly likely, along with some form of expanded roster.
The CATS naturally will want to stay competitive...

I'd break down the question posed as follows:
1) Will Ennis be "available" to come back to the NBL next season? (OR would he say remain in the D-League hoping to pick up short contracts, or might he head to Europe?)
2) Could the Wildcats afford him? Obviously anything we offer would be better than D-League, but what about other leagues? What would he be looking for? $300, 400, 500k???
3) Would the Wildcats "want" him back? (I assume they would, but under the right circumstances.)
4) How would the Cats fit him into their roster? Part of that question is how they would want to use their 3 potential import slots?

Ennis has certainly been one of our most outstanding players over recent years. If circumstances line up, we'd be mad not to want him back and he seems to love Perth. If Prather looks elsewhere, and Ennis is available, he'd have to be top of the list. But could you squeeze both into the team?

Topic #39155 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had a great season. 1 season. He wont be the same player he was. See what happens.

Reply #583036 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He could easily go to Europe. Of course the cats want him back, what kind of stupid question is that. They would fit him by using him as a starter, it's kind of obvious. The cats can afford him obviously, but how much they would spend is a different question.

Reply #583038 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want him back as much as the next bloke but I can't help but think if we got him back then our ticket prices won't be any cheaper!

I think Dolla is way too comfortable so if he was used off the bench then he could have to prove himself every game.

That also helps Prather that gets silly fouls and with the current lineup + Ennis, everyone should play no more than 30 minutes a game and that should keep us fresh with obviously more dual games per round.

Reply #583042 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think the question you need to ask first is....does Ennis want to come back?

Reply #583043 | Report this post

Touch the rim  
Years ago

5) Will he throw awards in the river again?

Reply #583051 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ennis was in his right to throw that award. He was the rightful MVP without question. Who even talks about Rotnei Clarke anymore? I had to rack my brain to even remember his name.

Reply #583054 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Of course the cats want him back, what kind of stupid question is that. They would fit him by using him as a starter, it's kind of obvious. The cats can afford him obviously, but how much they would spend is a different question.
Fair enough, perhaps how I should have worded it is "how would the Cats restructure (assuming start with existing squad) to accommodate him? And is that desirable?
Lets say that Prather is happy to stay on reasonable money, and Ennis would come but for a lot more...
Would we say no, replace Prather, or keep both?

Reply #583056 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Cats would want him back on the court. But the off-court issues make Ennis's return a harder sell.

Then again, you have to do what's best for business.

Reply #583057 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think the question you need to ask first is....does Ennis want to come back?
Correct.
That was sorta covered in the "will he be available?"
I think it is fair to say that he loved Perth, but careerwise he would hope for something better than NBL. Certainly ANY chance of resurrecting a NBA career would see him stay in the USA. Below that, would he prefer Europe to Australia? Or how much would the Cats have to offer to tempt him?

Reply #583058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's naturalising soon.

Reply #583060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't make much of the off court issues. Ennis has been over for kids camps and exhibition style stuff with the Wildcats so they can't be too worried about that.

Reply #583062 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

People acting like he can command a fortune to come back here.

This season has diminished his pay grade significantly. Whilst still a high caliber NBL player no doubt, he's now an un-contracted NBA D-leaguer.

You can find them playing in state leagues also....

Reply #583067 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Lol, Farrison, he is still James Ennis. NBL teams have not forgotten what he did. He will still command a pretty penny.

Reply #583070 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Decent Article on Ennis:
http://pickandroll.com.au/james-ennis-reminisces-plans-eventual-return/

Reply #583071 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Perhaps.

But you're only ever as good as your last gig in the free agent world.

Reply #583072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People here just throwing out inane numbers, is well, stupid.

Reply #583073 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Indeed, you're only worth whatever the next-best offer is.
Anything is better than D-League.
If Europe is a realistic proposition, then we'd struggle to firstly attract him and secondly to match the bucks. What would he be worth to a Euro team?
Otherwise we just have to beat out MU! ;-)

The other thing with Ennis, is that I think he's one of those players who is well suited to the NBL.
Here he can monster the 3 spot, and even go against some of the 4's. IMHO he really plays a 3/4 type role here, which he's just not big enough to do elsewhere.

Reply #583088 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ennis is a match up nightmare over here. We have no one who can challenge his length and athleticism. Over there, he is just an athletic guy with good size, but doesn't have the standout attribute that guarantees him a roster spot. He is just "pretty good" in most areas.

I think Ennis would come back to Perth if the situation allows.

Reply #583094 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

There are 9 NBL clubs that haven't forgotten about how talented James Ennis is or just how much they can build their game time entertainment

Same goes for Rotnei Clarke, totally different games but both absolute match winners and could and will hopefully benefit the league once more

Reply #583105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis dominating the D league since he got released by Memphis.

Reply #583639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:13 am, Sun 9 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754