Baller
Last month

Jack jumpers @ United ( game1 grand final series)

United will be starting favourites on their home court, but will need to bring a better performance than they did against the hawks over that series .

Topic #51887 | Report this topic

LV  
Last month

My guess

United wins game 1- slight advantage due to staying home, JJs have travelled to Perth twice in past 10 days

JJ's hit back at home in game 2

From game 3, it's game on

Just have this little feeling JJ's are going to be very tough to beat over 5 games. Let's see what happens.

Reply #938540 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

JJs, Magnay and Lee to good for Jla and Hukporti. The rest of it all looks reasonably even, if Goulding or Doyle cut loose for either side can change the equation. Travers and McVeigh again if both play well, it's even. JJs just got that winning look.

JJs by three

Reply #938544 | Report this post

Jacket  
Last month

Game is at 4:00pm
Do i watch the NRL (Manly v Roosters) or do i watch a game where the referee will stop the game every 30 seconds to call a foul.

Reply #938565 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Jacket has a minor point, in that the Finals series is clashing with footy season. I know we've discussed it before, but it's so dumb and preventable.

Anyway, I'm rooting for United, mostly because I'm a Bubbles fanboy.

I acknowledge the Jacks are tough and reckon this could go to five, each team winning on their home floor.

Reply #938585 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Watch the NRL.

Reply #938586 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Sorry, as for this arvo's result, United by 5.

Reply #938587 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last month

What basketball fan gives a shit if some strange shaped ball is being played elsewhere. United in 4

Reply #938588 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Jacket isn't a basketball fan

Reply #938590 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

What a choice, a global game v a game that most countries in the world no nothing about. I'll take the basketball.

Reply #938591 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Early fouls all going JJs way. Four zip.

Reply #938592 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Both sides would be happy with the start.

Reply #938594 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last month

I went to an NRL game once. Got woken up at half time and went home. Was so excited to get home.

Reply #938595 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Melbourne by 10 at half, been solid game by both sides, fouls free throws all very even, one contentious call on Magnay, otherwise refs not a factor. Both sides a little hesitant. JLA been the difference so far, much to my surprise.
Rucker and Gaze great on commentary.

Reply #938596 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Good contest, united seem to have it in hand but JJs have not gone away. Deng been good for JJs in short time, Doyle their best. Goulding been good but overall all united been good.

Reply #938597 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last month

One-way traffic now, though.

Reply #938598 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Travis and Bowen so good defensively in the four.

Reply #938599 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Early days but I thought Magnay and Lee would certainly favour JJs, certainly the way they carved up Perth bigs, it's been the opposite in this game.

Reply #938600 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Underwhelming performance from the JJs. Little fight, looked like they'd accepted their fate by midway through the second quarter.

Bowen sneaky good off the bench. Doesn’t produce a sexy stat line but does the little things that need doing.

Reply #938601 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Melbourne can't play this good again, JJs not this bad in the second half. Looking forward to next Friday in Hobart.

Reply #938602 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last month

Melbourne effort and intensity rewarded. JJs full court pressure easily beaten by Bowen and Travis running middle of court created heaps of easy points. Tactically they had the wood on JJs all game. If the refs get involved in Tasmania then they in with a chance to make it a contest otherwise it's over in 3

Reply #938604 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Quality win. Pleasant surprise

United on point, and pushed JJ's out of their preferred looks, with aggressive denial on Doyle. JJ's sluggish. Expect them to bounce back hard and win on Friday.

JLA playing like the JLA we know, CG shooting well. If those two keep that up, it'll be a United championship. It's only 1-0 though, not getting excited yet.

Reply #938605 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Last month

JJs were very aggressive and in your face against Perth. Obviously Melb are a different beast but they just didn't bring that energy.

Reply #938608 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Goulding unstoppable in that form, Travers stats don't show what he does for the team.

Reply #938623 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Re Travers, I can't see him ever playing NBA but he’s certainly improving at United imo

Reply #938624 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Travers could become the next Sam McKinnon or Xavier Cooks. Both those guys won MVP and led teams to a championship. He's developing towards that level of versatility and two-way ability.

Reply #938626 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last month

No way JJs can win if it comes down to offensive firepower. United outran them consistently after first quarter and Goulding was in early season form. His shooting was vintage and wasn't anyone in this league definitely, maybe world that could stop some of those shots. Yet if he makes Olympics Brian will keep him anchored to bench when they need perimeter shooting.
Magnay was hampered by fouls, that foul and subsequent taunting tech hurt Tassie, but can he really matchup with JLA? He's just too quick and those dunks in transition really started the ball rolling for Melbourne. As for Lee, he was atrocious. Looked like one of those junior games where a kid was just picked purely on height, no other reason. Should be picking on Hukporti based on experience but misses easy shots and no real deterrent on defence.
Doyle was his usual unassuming self that had his normal scoring game. But if Crawford is struggling, and that's an understatement, Doyle needs to strap team to his back and get mid 30s. And despite having Ili and Delly, Crawford just seemed to have a stinker. Hopefully home cooking can get him going.
Interested about when Delly went down. No obvious sign of what, but his reaction of punching floor, body language and immediately getting looked at by medical staff suggests something tweaked, groin maybe. But he's kept it under wraps, although it may be a factor.
End of the day, Melbourne scoring triple figures would be a concern, but alternatively their offence was very efficient. JJs need to dirty it up a bit and keep it in the 80s and win close. Crawford needs just an average game and Doyle needs a couple of big ones. Magnay needs to limit JLA, Lee just needs to show a bit of heart. Pretty obvious, but they need to win these next 2 at home to have a chance and get a bit of momentum. Melbourne need to not get overconfident and rely on the 3. Forgot to mention Clarke but he was huge.

Reply #938627 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

104-81 or in other words United and then daylight.

Reply #938633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:25 am, Sun 28 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754