Zodiac
Last year

NZ Breaker Rob Loe announces retirement

New Zealand centre Rob Loe abruptly called time on his NBL career on Wednesday, and has announced his retirement from the competition.

Loe played 173 NBL games - largely with the New Zealand Breakers – across a seven-year NBL career, including making a career-high 31 appearances over the course of NBL23.

He arrived in the competition following a four-year college career at Saint Louis and seasons for Greek side KAOD and Belgian side Limburg United.

https://nbl.com.au/news/breakers-big-announces-retirement

Topic #51149 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Last year

He played great last season for the Breakers and carried that form into the NZNBL for Auckland.
Possibly was let know that NZ were heading in another direction this season and took the opportunity to retire to spend more time with his young family.

I followed his career since he played for the Jnr Tall Blacks and then headed off to St Louis.
Great player and person and will be missed.

Reply #918360 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last year

All the best to Rob and his future endeavours.

The first thing that pops into my mind when I think of Loe is his hair at Cairns.

Like he stopped giving a F.

Reply #918361 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

Very good career, had some bad days but overall very underrated.

Reply #918365 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Great person too and an absolute team-first player. Had some setbacks in his career, but a very solid pro who hopefully has a few NZ NBL seasons left in him.

Reply #918366 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

Underrated Breakers career, had such good advanced stats and at his peak was verging on a starting job. Will be sorely missed - I do wonder how much Covid and being locked out of NZ impacted his ANBL career.

Interested to see who the Breakers replace Loe with - Timmins is the obvious choice but doesn't stretch the floor. Combined with Fotu, I have concerns about our bench spacing. Could be another frontcourt signing in the works?

Import / TBD / TBD
Import / Fotu
Abercrombie / Rubstavicius
Import / Gliddon
WMW / Le’afa

Reply #918368 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Last year

Team looks woeful.

Gliddon well past it. Best cut him.

Abercrombie useless last year on offence.

Mystro - yr suggestion the Breakers didn't want Loe back is ridiculous.

Reply #918370 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last year

I wouldn't be surprised if this opens the door for DJ

Reply #918371 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

You cannot be serious, SF?!

Reply #918375 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last year

"Kiwi big man Rob Loe is retiring from the Australian NBL after deciding not to accept the contract offered to him by the New Zealand Breakers.

It is understood the 2.11-metre centre had more lucrative offers in front of him from elsewhere in the league, but he did not want to uproot his family from their Auckland home again."

"What I've learned most about myself over the past few years in particular is how much I value my family, how much I value my wife and my son," he said.

“Putting myself in a position where I can be with them fulltime is my priority now.”

From Stuff.co.nz

Interesting but good on him for putting his family first.

Reply #918381 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last year

I agree with you mystro. Think this move was needed to free up space for pardon back with an increase or a proven big. Too much salary used in the three bigs they had last year, especially for the minutes

I liked the way he played and his ability to stretch the defence. Also a very high bball IQ. He was underutilized last season really

Hopefully a big man signing is imminent

Reply #918383 | Report this post

EssenX  
Last year

Fotu will probably play more minutes this year. He showed good rebounding and a better than expected stroke in year one. But a stretch 5 is definitely required to give a different look to Pardon. Timmins is too similar to Pardon and hasn't progressed at this level. Waardenburg would have been the perfect replacement for Loe long term.

Reply #918402 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last year

Apart from being a complete culture black hole, DJ would actually be good coming off the bench with a big like Pardon there to makeup for his defence. Would give spacing for WMW to do his thing, could have a hot game or 2 and may be a wildcard for finals matchups against the big boys.
However I can see him curling up into the foetal position when the coach rips into him about defence.

Reply #918438 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

"Curling up into the foetal position"?

Naaah, that suggests he'll make eye contact and give a shit; he’ll be counting spiders up in the rafters instead.

Reply #918439 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

The first thing that pops into my mind when I think of Loe is his hair at Cairns.

Same, the hair from that season needs more love.

Reply #918445 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last year

Mango Mathiang a pretty handy replacement.

Reply #918463 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last year

Better than DJ for sure

Reply #918465 | Report this post

orbit  
Last year

Had some strong games last season which suprised me. Was terrible in Cairns & sooked it up to go home. Was either really good or non existent.

Reply #918467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 pm, Fri 17 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754