KET
Years ago

Age article re NBL and Offshore Gambling

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/gobsmacking-national-basketball-in-league-with-illegal-betting-sites-offshore-20210325-p57e6x.html

The National Basketball League's new integrity partner, Sportradar, is producing unauthorised live data feeds of the league’s matches and supplying them to illegal offshore bookmakers.

At least nine bookmaking websites that use Sportradar’s live data appear to be in breach of Australia’s Interactive Gambling Act by accepting Australian customers without a licence and offering live online betting on sporting events.

Topic #48280 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this explain the erratic refereeing?

Reply #839404 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No

Reply #839405 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Former senator Nick Xenophon, who helped to reform the Interactive Gambling Act, said the NBL was "either treating its fans as absolute mugs, or they are the biggest mugs of all to be entering into this deal".

“This is gobsmacking. The sports minister needs to look at this from an integrity point of view. This just destroys the credibility of the game. It just shows you how poor the regulatory framework is ... I think there should be a revolt amongst the membership of the NBL because, on the face of it, they have compromised the integrity of the game.”

Reply #839407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#404 I'd be hiding you email address and IP address if I was you. If you’re insinuating 28 NBL referee’s are on the take get ready for a law suit.

Reply #839408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha settle down.

Reply #839410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why settle down? You are implying the referees are cheating. Slippery slope with sweet FA evidence. Becomes a cute civil action. Just ask Joey and Brett Hogan.

Reply #839413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said nothing of the sort. "Erratic refereeing" is the quote. It's another word for crap refereeing. Nothing has change since I was involved a long time ago. It's far worse than ever and this is highlighted well by the video reviews and how many calls they get wrong.

Reply #839416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is going to take legal action against an anonymous internet user for a silly comment?

BTW I'm not the person who asked the question.

Reply #839417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the back of a gambling article. Shit a decent lawyer would have a field day clown

Reply #839419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#417 ask someone like Brendan Joyce

Reply #839420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just asked him. He said who are you, and how did you get this number?

Reply #839423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Larry still have interest in the Russian betting agency?

Reply #839426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm tipping this gets locked sooner than later

Reply #839434 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, what hard hitting investigative journalism.

After legislation changed here which banned Australians from accessing overseas bookmakers most websites complied.

All that will happen is NBL will contact Sportsradar who will then inform the nine bookmakers to ban Australian IP address ranges. Chances are since these bookies are so obscure, like the one which was named, that no Australians were betting with them anyway.

Reply #839456 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

#404 has nothing to worry about.

Reply #839457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no laws being broken here except for overseas bookmakers offering accounts to Australian customers and that has nothing to do with the NBL.

Reply #839458 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Exactly, it's such a fluff piece.

Reply #839459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you seriously going to get that better odds overseas from some obscure bookie. I doubt it.

Reply #839490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee concerning this is.....on a side note anyone catch that NZ Vs United game at bendigo?

Reply #839493 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

In response to Zodiac's post

I know this is off topic and I apologize in advance.

In my opinion, Nick Xenophon has rarely spoken in support of the national interest and I would not listen to a word he says.

For instance, if not for Xenophon's stance in favour of local procurement during the Gillard and then Abbott governments, Australia would soon be taking possession of new "off the shelf" subs to meet the CCP menace. Instead - if I can put this generously - Xenophon rather distorted view of the national interest delayed the sub acquisition by at least a decade. And where did Saint Nick go after his jaunt in Parliament? Employed by the Chinese state sponsored telco - Huawei. Says it all really. When the fight comes, and it will come, Australia (again) will be hopelessly underprepared. You bring to a fight, the equipment you have on hand, and the training you have received. Thanks to Nick, we won't have the equipment, and our service personnel won't have the training.

Reply #839498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While a lot of other sports are moving away from gambling and in particular sports betting sponsorship, its been disappointing to see the NBL shamelessly plug it at every opportunity.

Almost every pro sports club in Victoria has pledged to not have sports betting sponsorship, but the two NBL clubs wont get on board.

its not surprising to see this latest development.

Reply #839509 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Just seems like a hit piece more than anything. Oh there's a 'scandal' everyone! The only thing that worries me is the poor crowds NBL games are getting at the moment. This offshore gaming nothing story will blow away with the wind.

Reply #839513 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL would benefit a lot from the money, they aren't really in a position to be a leader in giving up gambling money

Reply #839514 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of a breathless piece. Isn't it ultimately the responsibility of those international sites to stay aware of gambling laws in every country they might operate?

Not the first or last time the internet exposes oddities in laws and access.

Reply #839520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't the owner of the league own a gambling company?

Reply #839521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article a massive hit job, likely by a data competitor. Article is poorly researched for an investigative journalist to get one side of story. Government missing out on taxes is the concern with offshore bookmakers. Maybe government should come in and provide funding to the sports so they don't have to take any commercial revenue? Sports need to run their business - AFL, Cricket, Soccer all have deals in place that generate significant (much more than basketball) revenue from betting, most have stopped taking betting "sponsorship" but generate plenty in the background + they benefit from gambling ads on signage at games and ads that underpin their TV rights.

Reply #839523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Doesn't it say in the article that the NBL and BA declined to be interviewed for the story?

Reply #839530 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

^ not until they've spoken to their lawyers, and we know that things can take a long time to happen in our basketball administrations

Reply #839540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many ppl from NBL league office and/or employed by the league on this thread...

Reply #839546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any league in the world where one person owns/ controls a majority of the teams, owns the league , employs the refs and also owned a sports betting company?

Reply #839565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And uses nbl teams as leverage for his property developments?

See Tasmania

Reply #839568 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Which sports betting company does he own?

Reply #839569 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Twitch chat during games seems to be full of overseas gamblers. Isn't it the responsibility of the overseas betting agencies to not accept Australian customers?

It's hard to take Xenophon seriously now given his post-politics career choices.

Reply #839619 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'm not saying it’s a big issue because it probably isn’t and I don’t know what the circumstances or law is regarding this and don’t care because I don’t understand how it works. Is it what, helping gambling businesses overseas screw their clients? Gambling 101 anyway right?

But the proposition people are putting here goes something like "overseas business does the wrong thing that’s overseas business problem" but that’s not how it works - can’t wash all responsibility like that, that’s certainly not grounded in law. There are most certainly mechanisms to enforce obligations on Australian companies.

Reply #839622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But the proposition people are putting here goes something like "overseas business does the wrong thing that's overseas business problem" but that’s not how it works - can’t wash all responsibility like that, that’s certainly not grounded in law. There are most certainly mechanisms to enforce obligations on Australian companies."

My read of it is that the NBL is making their data available to offshore betting companies (via the intermediary Sportradar, as described in the article) to allow for live betting on games to be offered. This isn't against the law. Australian bookmakers offer live betting on NBL, and a whole bunch of other sports (including the major Aussie ones like AFL).

There is a rule against overseas betting companies offering betting accounts to Australian customers (as someone else pointed out, this is partly because Australian Govt. misses out on the tax revenue, although they'll tell you its to protect punters from "dangerous" offshore bookmakers). This isn't something the NBL has control over.

Reply #839639 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Fri 17 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754