LC
Years ago

Kestelman continues basketball takeover

Larry Kestelman took another significant step towards controlling basketball in Australia today following the announcement of the NBL as commercial rights partner for Basketball Australia.

NBL named as commercial rights partner of Basketball Australia

Topic #45214 | Report this topic

Paul  
Years ago

I wonder if this is something the Huskies could do with Basketball Tasmania. Everyone is so worried about private enterprise working with government funded bodies but if it works lets support it.

Reply #743728 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I suspect a lot of this will be that promotional/marketing aspect: LK designing their website, cross-league marketing, cross-league sponsorship.

It makes sense, probably with the marketing team LK is building, this fills up the down time, better utilisation while it then reduces costs for BA/WNBL etc - and the marketing will probably become far more professional.

I'm sure there is added value to NBL sponsors as well out of this.

I wonder if the NBL will look at packaging tv type rights with Boomers/Opals games, even WNBL?

Reply #743732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

about time a smart dog got attached to BA to wag it properly

Reply #743733 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

So much for the people six months ago who were insisting LK was going to take his ball and go home at the end of this past season.

Reply #743734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you know what this is really about.... FIRST EVER taking over the Boomers & Opals jerseys!

Reply #743735 | Report this post

Seconomous  
Years ago

While this is good, I really hope the Boomers don't end up being sponsored by "First Ever".

Just once, and now finally with a superstar like Ben Simmons, it would be great if we can get some Nike Team Australia Boomers jerseys and merchandise.

Reply #743739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully he fixes the wnbl. All basketball jerseys will eventually become first ever.

Reply #743740 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Love or Hate Kestleman, this arrangement makes sense.
Basketball, Boomers, NBL, all need to feed off each other.

Reply #743752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl1 qld, nbl1 nsw/act, nbl1 sa, nb1 wa next season?

Reply #743753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wait for the pay equality demands to start......

Reply #743763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It actually looks like a long term plan, how refreshing. Re first ever, who cares, I'd prefer something Australian than American.

Reply #743764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It actually looks like a long term plan, how refreshing. Re first ever, who cares, I'd prefer something Australian than American.

Reply #743765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about something Australian desperately trying to be American!

Larry wants the nbl and now wnbl taken seriously? Stop having Larry Jnr run the apparel. Go to a legit brand even if its a supplier only deal, and people will actually wear the jerseys. First ever is absolute rubbish

Reply #743768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people are not happy with the apparel, it effect his brand. Of course he will change it if that's the case.

Reply #743769 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I wonder if the NBL will look at packaging tv type rights with Boomers/Opals games, even WNBL?

"

They already have the rights to the Boomers vs. USA games.

"you know what this is really about.... FIRST EVER taking over the Boomers & Opals jerseys!"

Why would that even matter and why would you care? Have you taken a good look at the current Boomers and Opals uniforms? Put it this way, if they weren't the official Boomers uniforms I certainly wouldn't own one. First Ever may not be Nike but I don't think anyone can debate that the First Ever NBL jerseys are worse than the Mitchell and Ness ones and they certainly wont be worse than the PEAK ones.

"Just wait for the pay equality demands to start......"

And they absolutely will, with complete disregard for things like economics, logic and common sense.

Reply #743775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just once, and now finally with a superstar like Ben Simmons, it would be great if we can get some Nike Team Australia Boomers jerseys and merchandise."

Olympic uniforms are made by Adidas (or who ever the AOC has as a supplier now, oh dammit it's Asics for Tokyo) and Simmonds is more likely to play there than the World Cup (or lower)

Reply #743787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm there are so many fools out there. Take that any way you want.

Reply #743811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re First Ever and the Boomers - maybe for the World Cup and anything else, but for the Olympics it will be whoever has the overall Australian deal - that will be Asics in 2020 (was Adidas in 2012 and 2016).

Reply #743812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First Ever Uniforms are made by Mitchell and Ness.

Reply #743837 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I'd say this deal is also about hocking the FE apparel to all levels of basketball in Australia, followed by press releases about how good a job running a business LK junior is.

Reply #743873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #743875 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So much for the people six months ago who were insisting LK was going to take his ball and go home at the end of this past season.

I know right? What almost everybody seems to forget is that LK isn't a fly-by-nighter to the NBL - he and his cousin Slepoy have been involved with Tigers/Utd since the early 2000s.

Reply #743927 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People are whinging about uniforms that are actually decent. Name uniform brands in the past 15 years in the NBL who've made better uniforms than First Ever. I'll wait.

We can all laugh about their streetwear range but their basketball uniforms are legit and will continue to improve.

Reply #743937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange we were given a set of First Ever uniforms and they were crap. Poor finishing and thin. Sizing all wrong. A 2xl was probably an xl if you were lucky. Maybe they're better in the Nbl.

Reply #743951 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Fri 17 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754