Anonymous
Years ago

Froling to enter NBA draft

He has withdrawn from the Huskies team and will head to the US to prepare for the upcoming draft. Good luck to him but if he gets drafted does that mean he's not playing for the Sixers next season?

Topic #45018 | Report this topic

Joe_m  
Years ago

I think he goes the G League route.

I can not see him being a lottery pick and then it remains; does he get drafted in the second round, or attend a veteran camp and sign a two way G League contract. Very much like Isaac Humphries.

He is better than Humphries and could blow up the G League before getting an opportunity. Good luck to him but if I were the 36ers, I would be planning for life without Froling next year.

Reply #739672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a chance, not many centres in this years draft. Heard he sacked Heal and went to US agent.

Reply #739673 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

He'll get a look. Hard to imagine him being able to play D in today’s NBA.

Reply #739674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling will play with the 36ers next season, as he is contracted to do so. Even if he was to sneak into the 2nd round, the teams would be happy to allow him to finish his contract.

Reply #739675 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

He's more suited to playing in Europe, stretch bigs who aren't very mobile can't really play in the NBA unless they are absolutely elite which he's not. If he's smart he could work his up to the top European clubs within a few years and have a great career and big $$ earnings. Maybe he gets drafted second round and gets stashed in Europe?

Reply #739676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait to see what sort of compensation Adelaide will demand from his NNA side while holding him ransome

Reply #739680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA*

Reply #739681 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think it's a stretch,
referring to Froling as a Stretch Big.

He can get away with playing Centre in the NBL, becuase on average our Centres are much smaller, or much slower. Just like Matty Knight did for years.
No way Froling makes it to the NBA.
Unless he could play PF.
But again he could probably get away with that here, but not in the NBA.

European opportunities often rely on your parentage, and ability to get a European passport.

Humphries is a lot bigger, and more versatile.

Back when it was the D League, I know the pay was peanuts. Guys like Ennis smartly chose to spend time down here (especially back in the boom when our dollar was stronger.)

What's the pay like now that it's the G League?
For guys like Froling and Humphries, it's probably not a bad gig.

Reply #739683 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wait you lost me Angus when you suggested that they play defence in the NBA

Reply #739684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0 wow.....lack of knowledge is no excuse to make such bold suggestions. "Humphries is a lot bigger" Harry is 6'11. GLeague is a good good for them financially....no, it’s an opportunity. Europe opportunities rely on Parentage? What? No, it depends on how good you are.

Harry is 20, and had a great season as a rookie compared with any other. You e just written on a 6’11 20 y/o that can already compete at the NBL level.

I’m glad you’re not in basketball development or coaching.

Reply #739686 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Aside from the fact that Froling is more than big enough for the C anywhere, suggesting he needs to be able to play the 4 suggests a deep lack of understanding of the modern NBA. If you're anything close to a 4-5 tweener these days, you're going to spend most of your time in the middle.

From the limited amount I saw Froling this season he looks a good prospect. It is certainly harder for big guys these days but he's young and has good fundamentals and I think he has a chance to make it some day, if not next season.

Reply #739689 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Today Issac Humphries signed a 10 day contract with the Atlanta Hawks

Reply #739690 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

* Isaac

Reply #739691 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Just read about Humphries great news should be in lineup v Spurs April 3rd.

Reply #739692 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Great news!

This time last year people on these boards were making similar "no chance" remarks about his chances of playing NBA.

Reply #739693 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

To be fair, the good teams in the NBA do play D. The game is skewered in a way that basically eliminates perimeter defense, but bigs need to be able to guard pick and rolls against elite athletes and that's what has killed traditional bigs more than anything else. 15-20 years ago Kanter would have been a 38 minute a night big putting up about 25-15 a game. In today's NBA if he gives you 25 points in 35 minutes, he probably cost you 30 on the other end.

Reply #739694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He might as well give it a shot. Weaker players have been drafted in the past.

I think his highlight reel from last season would advertise him well. Good spread of skills and confidence for his age and size.

Reply #739695 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Angus ^^ spot on.

If Boban played in the 90s he'd be an All Star with his size, efficiency and rebounding % all off the charts, but some games they literally can't put him on the court.

Reply #739698 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Another good example is Greg Monroe, who has only just landed a 10-day contract. In the 90s or early 2000s he'd be a 20-10 guy

Reply #739700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought I read a comment that Froling was heading to the USA to prepare for the draft and that he'd withdrawn from the nznbl

But then today I saw He was playing 3 X 3

Reply #739953 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Is it just me but does Froling need to hit the gym hard. Carrying way to much puppy fat, he'd get left behind running up and down the floor.

Reply #740049 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct, but hardly surprising as the NBL is the premier puppyfat league in the world.

Reply #740086 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another good example is Greg Monroe, who has only just landed a 10-day contract. In the 90s or early 2000s he'd be a 20-10 guy
He was a 16 and 10 guy only a few years ago!

I don't remember Humphries being that great in the NBL (presumably has improved since), whereas Froling often looked like he could take over from DJ if needed. Hard to gauge his height. He looks big in the NBL, but lists as 205cm on Wikipedia (barefoot?) though 6'11" on a draft site.

Some of the new era of NBA centres have legit size - Porzingis is 221, Jokic 213, Embiid 213, Vucevic 213, KAT 213, Valanciunas 213, M Gasol 216, B Lopez 213, DAJ 211. 6'11" is 210-211 so he's close on a couple of them at least. Baynes is 208.

Reply #740234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not listed on the early draft list I looked at, McDowell White is there but no Froling.

Reply #742203 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Europe opportunities rely on Parentage? What? No, it depends on how good you are."

Sorry anon, D2.0 was actually spot on. If you have a local passport you can just be an ok pro and find a league in Europe where you can play, there is a huge spectrum of standard across the continent. If you have to play as an import, then it largely comes down to how good you are.

Reply #742204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 pm, Tue 4 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754