LC
Years ago

How Joe Ingles has expanded his offensive game

"He's a terrific player," says Dallas Mavericks head coach, Rick Carlisle. “He is so resourceful, especially with finding crevices to get threes off and then he shoots it at an amazing high rate.”

The resourcefulness Carlisle raises is what makes Ingles such a tough cover. Opposition scouting reports can correctly diagnose that Ingles is a shooting maven, but no theorem can equip opponents for his constant movement and shiftiness on the court.

Inside the arc: how Joe Ingles has expanded his offensive game

Topic #44566 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

I think that it is more about the opportunity and confidence that coaches are showing in him.

He has always been pretty close to a complete player on the offensive end and now is showing that, and coaches are giving him this freedom.

From memory, I thought he was always a better slasher/driver than shooter?

Reply #725750 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

His improvement from long range in the NBA has really helped him not only stick around, but thrive. I would agree that he was far more of a slasher early in his career (prior to making the NBA), and I always felt if he became even an average, confident shooter he had all the tools as a quality wing. Still surprised he's become one of the league leaders in 3pt%.

Reply #725796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In nba it's his job to get better

Reply #725886 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"In nba it's his job to get better"

If that's the job of all NBA players, may as well sack all NBA players past their prime because they can't do their job (job = getting better)?

Ingles entered the NBA at age 27. That's about prime for most NBA players. Ingles has managed to improve through his late 20s and early 30s.

Reply #725923 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Anonymous, is that you Corey?

rjd is right. Most players are who they are going to be at 27/28. Fortunately shooting is something you can get better at later in your career with practice and confidence, but shooting in an empty gym is different than in front of a crowd with young über-athletes running at you. I think it goes to show Joe has always had a good feel for the game (which isn't surprising considering his playmaking, and using his BBall IQ to make up for his relatively average athleticism).

Reply #725989 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Fri 17 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754