Isaac
Years ago

Irving will not play for the Boomers

Kyrie irving will not play for australia in Olympics. Holding out for team usa in 2016
@JasonLloydABJ, Cavaliers beat writer for the Akron Beacon Journal.

(H/T to anon in this thread.)

Topic #27716 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs-kyrie-irving-won-t-play-for-australia-in-olympics-holding-out-for-usa-in-2016-1.268755

Reply #353025 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

there goes any chance of any success...bogut injured, no kyrie..patty not even playing in a league and the euro-based australian ballers putting up unimpressive numbers

Reply #353028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was there a high likelihood irving was going to play for oz ? im not really surprised by his decision

Reply #353030 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm not sure why people got there hopes up so much for Kyrie playing for Australia. Yes, there was a serious chance that he would, but we were always going to be his second option, and rightly so.

Reply #353033 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Irving was only using Australia as a back up plan. So i say, stuff him. He's not Australian.

Bogut will be healthy come Olympic time.

Reply #353034 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I totally agree with natwhereyouat. We were Irving's back up plan. And that's ok.

We need to move forward with our squad that we've been building over the past decade. London is our best chance to medal since 2000 in Sydney. Everything going well Bogut should be back to full fitness for the games.

Reply #353039 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Also Australia has a lot of talent. More than people think...

Bogut, Mills, Jawai, Dellavedova, Gibson, Ingles, Bruce, Martin, Lisch, Newley, Nielsen, Crawford, Andersen, Maric, Barlow, Worthington, Redhage, Khazzouh, Steindl, Johnson, Bose etc.

There's a solid team in there somewhere.

Reply #353040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gosh I am sooooo surprised?

Reply #353045 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussies ununderperforming in Europe??? What about Andersen who has been in almost career-best form on one of the best teams in Europe?

Ingles getting decent minutes off the bench on arguably the best team in Europe?

Barlow has been starting in the best European national league.

Jawai has been inconsistent, but has shown he can put up great numbers on a strong European team playing in Euroleague.

Just to get me started...

I think we will be very good if Bogut plays and if so, we have an outside shot at top 4. Top 8 should be our immediate goal...

Reply #353047 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Well said LC. Hear, hear!

Reply #353048 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

And also well said natwhereyouat!

Reply #353049 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Finally we can all get back to our lives!!!!!

Reply #353051 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Don't quite understand why Markovic is never mentioned here. Leads the Adriatic League in assists, though I think he may be injured at the moment. When considering which guards to take to London people seem to only mention Mills, Dellavedova, Gibson and Martin.

Reply #353056 | Report this post

Jerry Dennard Jr  
Years ago

+1 Jez

Reply #353057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why are so many relying on bogut being available to play ? has he not struggled with pressure from above to be unavailable due to injury many times before ?

Reply #353062 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great point Jez.

I like Markovic over Gibson, as I think the Boomers really need a back up PG who can create for others and be a pass-first player.

Reply #353064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a twist to the story? Says Coach K appointment at 2016 Olympics have not been discussed?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7650652/cleveland-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-play-australia-london-olympics

Reply #353077 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

the euro-based aussie may be in a good league or playing for a good team but most aren't putting up MVP numbers (dave andersen has been putting up good numbers)..in fact most are unimpressive numbers (even factoring in the euro style game)

some stats from recent games

Brad Newley had 1p on 0/3, 3r, and 2to in 17mins
AJ Ogilvy had 2p on 1/3 and 3r
Nathan Jawai had 1p on 0/3, 2r, 2f and 2to in 10mins
Brad Newley played 12mins for no shot attempts, 3a, 2r, 2s and 3f
Joe Ingles 5p on 2/3, 3a and 2r in 21mins
Brad Newley had 4p on 1/4 in 15mins
Matt Nielsen had 4p on 1/4 and 3r in 19mins
Joe Ingles had 0p on 0/2 and 4a in 10mins
Brad Newley had 6p on 2/5 and 3r in 24mins
Joe Ingles had 0p on 0/1, 2a and 1r in 4mins
Brad Newley had 2p on 1/2, 1a, 1r and 2to in 19mins
Joe Ingles picked up 1to in 3mins
Joe Ingles went 0/3 and had a steal in 8mins

(disclosure..I am a fan of these players and have a great amount of respect for them as athletes..just disappointing stats)

Reply #353105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because there all playing bad on there respective teams doesnt always mean they will when they all come together... sometimes it takes the righht chemistry for a team to shine and the core of the australian team has been together for a little while now I wouldnt count them out just yet...

Reply #353109 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Damn. Hopefully he doesn't make the US team in 2016 and than come backs and regrets giving up 2 chances at playing at the olympics.

Reply #353112 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Irving just shot himself in the foot, Chris Paul, Derick Rose, Russel Westbrook, Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo are all miles ahead of him. Anyone see the last two guys numbers in their last games lol.

If he's real real lucky he may get to sit on the bench

Reply #353122 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He's never gonna have Rose and Westbrook's explosiveness, or rondo's defense, or paul or d-will's playmaking. His only hope is to keep developing that outside jumper we saw in the rookie game

Reply #353206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate to say it, but LanceUppercut has a point. Not many Australians putting up good numbers OS. Can we expect Ingles, Newley, Maric, Jawai etc. to suddenly breakout at the Olympics? I can't say that I'm optimistic about the Boomers chances in London. Our expectations should be lower than usual.

If Irving's decision was based on "can Australia medal with me in the team?", I can understand why he's holding off.

Reply #353227 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon #353227, this will be the first Boomers Olympic team we've ever produced where most of the players have been based overseas, primarily in Europe, so it's very difficult to tell how their form in those competitions will translate into their performance at the games.

Don't write us off just yet!

Reply #353230 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Mystro, yep, + John Wall, Jeremy Lin (?), Tyreke Evans... a lot of competition there.

Reply #353266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

not to mention all the PG's coming through the draft in the future that he'll have to also compete with

Reply #353381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not sure what you blokes have been looking at??? Irving is coming off a year out with injury, 11 games only in his college career, is a lock for rookie of the year, and is absolutely destroying teams! he's averaging 18.3 ppg, 5.4 apg, 3.5rpg... coach K was supportive of him playing for us until he'd had him for a year, changed his mind a bit... he is a true point guard who can shoot the piss out of it! we'd be so lucky to have him!! fact is, he was born here and then went back to the states by the age of 2, he has no real connection to Australia, he's American, why wouldn't he want to hold out and play for his real home country??? if Team USA doesn't happen for him, i'm sure Australia will take sloppy seconds with our arms open wide!!!! i agree though, would've been great to have him for 2012... Mills and Gibson are not the answers...

Reply #353718 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I watched Andersen live a couple of weeks ago (Milano v Siena, Cup Semi Final). Was best on court by a mile. On fire in Italy ATM.

Reply #353766 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:42 am, Sat 8 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754