Isaac
Years ago

Garlepp injured, Burdon ineligible

Adelaide 36ers 11th man, Tom Garlepp, will not travel to Townsville for the game against the Crocs this Wednesday. Garlepp is undergoing tests today for a suspected fractured foot. As of this morning, he could not put any weight on it.

Due to NBL rules that state that new players cannot join a team within seven games of the post-season, Erik Burdon is unable to join the team as a replacement, and the 36ers will tackle Townsville with nine players.

Topic #22276 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

B L A H to the NBL!

Would have really liked to see Erik have a run

Reply #267340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So would I - I think he has something to offer.

Reply #267343 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed. Would have been good to see him get a run...Damn NBL.

Reply #267344 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Considering he has been training all year and on the bench giving support

Reply #267346 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Rules are rules. Maybe your " favourite " coach should have given him a run before now. I don't want your team beating us on Wed night but good luck against the Hawks.

Reply #267353 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Lol G to say "rules are rules" is a bit ignorant, hes a rookie player that sits on the bench every game and supports the team from the bench.
Yeh its essentually Ninnis's fault but the NBL could have a bit more forsight for situations like this regarding rookie players.

Reply #267354 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'm as big a fan of Burdon's as anyone, but this is the club's fault for not having him on the roster in the same way as Garlepp is. What would Burdon have cost dollar wise and towards the points cap, stuff all I would think?

Plus the guy isn't a rookie. He's played NBL games across three previous seasons already.

And to correct the initial post we will be tackling Townsville with eight players not nine, as there is really no reason to think that Ninnis will play Molitor.

Reply #267358 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Nor should Ninnis play Molitor.

Reply #267361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp wouldn't have played anyway so I can't see Burdon getting any time even if he was allowed.

Reply #267364 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

WOW if they have changed the rules to read that way that is seriously stupid.

The rule used to read something along the lines of a player must play a minimum of 8 games to be eligible for finals, but there didn't used to be anything about not being able to play a guy for a few games fully knowing he would be ineligible for finals, what about guys who have rode the pine all season or do the count for sitting on the end of a bench if they havn't logged minutes are they then allowed to play in the last 7 games?

Reply #267365 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I suppose it's there so a team just outside the 4 can't sign a gun who's in between jobs just for a few weeks to get them in the playoffs. A little bit of common sense needs to be used here though.

Reply #267369 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The NBL is an interesting position here. True top level national leagues don't normally have eligibility rules like this. Eg: the AFL has no such rule.

However, for the NBL two things can skew finals runs and finals - late recruitment of a superstar import (easily managed) and the possibility of a stud Aussie being brought back to play for the team.

The latter should be managed with points cap, or better still, perhaps the NBL should force each club to nominate four fringe players (aussie only and less than 50 games played) who can fill in late in the season but sit outside cap and outside $.

Reply #267374 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

AFL is only played in one country so it's unlikely they will pick up a player from America or Europe late in the year!
It's common sense. What if your team was on the brink of finals and Cairns brought in Nathan Jawai to play one game because he was home for a week? You lose and don't make finals? What if Eric does play and actually catch fire (we have all seen it locally) and hits a gmae winner, knocking Wollongong out of the playoffs...I don't think they would be happy.
The rules are there and need to be followed.

Reply #267382 | Report this post

G  
Years ago

Player 23. I agree.

Reply #267384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs by 30.

Reply #267387 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Agree with the above points BUT we are talking about a guy who has been in the squad this season, surely the rule should make allowances for training players etc.

What happens if 3 or 4 players get injured for one of the top four sides, they cant bring in their 11th, 12th guys to make up numbers?

Reply #267390 | Report this post

lions are us  
Years ago

eric burdon to mount gambier pioneers??

Reply #267393 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:19 am, Sat 8 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754