word14
Last month

Most durable NBL players

I was doing some research earlier and realised that in the last 5 years Jack McVeigh has played 166 out of a possible 167 NBL games (99.4%). The only game he's missed in this time was game 3 of the NBL22 championship series. His JJs teammates Fabijan Krslovic and Anthony Drmic have both had unbelievable runs of good health too. Krslovic has played 163 out of 170 games (95.8%) and Drmic 150 out of 157 (95.5%). This got me thinking, who are some other NBL players (past or present) who simply don't miss games?

Topic #51960 | Report this topic

word14  
Last month

Mitch McCarron would be another one, I believe in the last 5 years he's played 160 out of 163 games, for a percentage of 98.1%

Reply #941010 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

Cadee another one

Reply #941011 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Good one, only missed 3 games since the start of NBL20

Reply #941012 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

*5 games, still very impressive

Reply #941013 | Report this post

Peter  
Last month

Not sure best place to look up, but think David Stiff played for a long time and only missed 1 or 2 games over his career.

He still has record for most championships.

Reply #941014 | Report this post

Gazee  
Last month

DJ was extremely durable , David stiff as mentioned above , Darryl McDonald and Copeland would be up there and gaze as well I would think , Leroy loggins ? Bruce bolden ?

Reply #941016 | Report this post

GordonG  
Last month

Aaron Grabau?

Reply #941017 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last month

Mika Vukona was tough, been with the JJs from the start. Quiet and relentless made the most of what he had. Big big ticker

Reply #941018 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Yeah everyone mentioned above are good examples, Gouldings another one who's been pretty durable his whole career. Although they haven't been around long enough yet, Ben Ayre and Sean MacDonald are a couple players shaping themselves to have long mostly injury-free careers. Ayre has only missed 2 games the last 2 seasons, and MacDonald has played every game since the start of NBL23.

Reply #941021 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

My interest in basketball started in the 80s. Trying to think who might fit this topic I realised that I can't think of many (any???) who did miss games. Copes and Gaze were mentioned above. Makes me think of Giddy, the older, Nige, Bradtke. Did any of them miss games. and that's just one team in one era.

I wonder if it's just short memory that makes me think that the injuries and long-term recoveries are more of a modern thing???

Anyone have the definitive answer on the original q?

Great topic to help us think of days gone by, Thanks.

Reply #941022 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

I've done a brief bit of reading into it Rob, and although most people seem to agree basketball players are getting injured more now than in previous eras, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to why. An interesting question to ponder for sure

Reply #941024 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Tony Ronaldson.

Reply #941027 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Now imo which is just a punters, players get more injuries into days sports including basketball because everyone is stronger, faster and more athletic, certainly the bigger guys. Yes the health of the sports has also improved ten fold but knees, ankles, feet, hamstrings, shoulders etc are put to the limits and over a longer time and tougher training.

Reply #941028 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Dunkman yeah thats a pretty good explanation I reckon

Reply #941029 | Report this post

Kas  
Last month

I do remember Andrew Gaze missing quite a few games when he got a blood clot in his arm one season.

Reply #941033 | Report this post

One thing for sure. It's hard to find any stats on number of consecutive games played in the NBL.

Reply #941035 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

It sucks not having historical advanced stats for NBL.

The shouts above for Stiff, Grabau going off memory are pretty solid in addition to my Ronaldson suggestion.

Reply #941044 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:52 am, Sun 5 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754