Brack
Years ago

Whites-only basketball league: AABA

http://linky.com.au/9c27p

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis said he wants to emphasize fundamental basketball instead of "street-ball" played by "people of color." He pointed out recent incidents in the NBA, including Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension after bringing guns into the Washington Wizards locker room, as examples of fans' dissatisfaction with the way current professional sports are run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" he said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

XMFD

Let the debates begin?

Topic #22144 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

No disrespect, but if I wanna watch fundamental basketball, I'll go watch girls basketball.

Reply #265490 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

*shakes head*

Ignore the ignorant attention seeker. How do people still think like this?

Reply #265491 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Double. My bad. Net was tripping out.

Reply #265493 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

a league without dunking?

Reply #265502 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"Only players that are natural born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league," the statement said.

Adolf Hitler said similar words and if you revisit the history of both his country and that of South Africa in recent times (ie apartheid), you can make arguments that in both cases, they had (semi) sensible points and it wasn't just about race etc. It doesn't mean that it isn't racist though.

It is. Fortunately, it will die a quick death. Loco asked "How can people still think like this?" Dunno mate, but you can be rest assured they still do.

Reply #265505 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Must be the yearly Racism thread.

Reply #265506 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

IMO this is disgraceful.

Reply #265509 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

wanker, as if we want to see a league of stocktons, id prefer magic johnson with some flair

Reply #265515 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

I don't really care about the whole 'racism' aspect. If people still think these kind of things, then there's bugger all you can do to change them.

That being said, the guy sounds like a bit of a dimwit for assuming people want to watch 'fundamentals only' basketball. It's all about balance. Personally, I can't stand the And1/Streetball type thing because it gets old. I wouldn't want to watch an "all fundamentals" game either. I much prefer an actual game, where the outcome means something, where there is a balance of fundamentals and exciting play.

Reply #265517 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

He has a point, I mean guys like Tim Duncan have been ruining basketball with their lack of fundamentals and unneccesary showmanship.

Reply #265519 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What if a guy goes between his legs then does a reverse dunk, would he be dropped?

Reply #265525 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

About 10 years ago Rod Popp put a 2nd ABA side together in Cairns called the Kuiyam Pride. It was for indeginous Aussies only. I found this extremely racist but we all know there was no point complaining. To even consider an all White comp in the states is suicidal. Someone will kill this guy. Maybe the political landscape will chill in the next 100 years but not now!

Reply #265529 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

FAAM

So what's the diff?

Reply #265530 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Difference is white ppl arent allowed to be racist. BOTH leagues are a joke

Reply #265532 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I have no problem with either league. If I want to have a league for me and my white friends only, why can't I? Why do I have to include everyone on the planet?

The issue is that every time there is an inkling of exclusion it is jumped upon as being the greatest atrocity that the world has ever seen.

Reply #265536 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

No TC2 I say both leagues are a joke simply because the White only league will be shut down. So if your not allowed to have a White only league you shouldnt be able tohave a Black only league.
To critisise one, but allow the other to exist is well, bullshit

Reply #265538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a few years ago there was a tournament in adelaide and the winner got a nice cash prize
but you had to be of asian nationality to enter... no one whinged about it then? its the same thing
only white ppl can be racist i guess?

Reply #265545 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Reply #265550 | Report this post

mball  
Years ago

"Rod Popp " - "Indigenous Aussies only" - contradiction right there.

From previous involvement with the Qld ABA at that time, this team was more of a development team; the number of talented indigenous players in that region far outnumbered the number of ABA team positions available, hence this team, alongside the Cairns Marlins, Cairns Dolphins and Mulgrave.

This is where Nathan Jawai did his apprenticeship - a raw 16 year old, previously a rugby player, from Bamaga.

As a caucasian Australian there at the time I felt it was a great opportunity for the development and fostering of talent and don't recall any allegations of racism; it was all about opportunity. I am unsure as to why they ceased in the league but I think it had to do with player commitment (or lack of, living on island time), transport, etc.

Now that Cairns has an NBL team with a Taipans Academy, the most talented indigenous players are moving through there but for every talented one who makes it there are probably five more talented ones who can't get the opportunity due to lack of places.

Reply #265555 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

TC2 - the mission statement from FAAm Hoops below:

"To provide through positive role models, an environment for all middle school students—with particular emphasis on African-American youth—that encourage self-respect and decision-making, and emphasizes the value of education through s structured, competitive basketball program that reflects the diversity of Evanston."

Allows all middle schoo, students to participate, with a particular focus on African-American youth.

Very different to saying "this is a black-only league. Whiteys need not apply." and then masking it around some idea of fundamental basketball.

The AABA is the definition of racist. It excludes players on the basis of race alone.

Reply #265556 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

But its not saying that whiteys are better, or blacks are inferior. It is saying that we only want white people playing. I don't see why that is an issue. If the Asians guys at my local stadium want to exclude me from their team because they only want Asians, fine.

This is not comparable to saying "negros dont deserve to enter the same doors as us, or eat in the same part of the restaurant."

Reply #265557 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I must admit though, some of his reasons should have been kept to himself. If he's just left it at "white people aren't as athletic" he wouldn't have sounded like such a hick.

Reply #265558 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

TC2, he's not expressly saying that whiteys are better, or "blacks can't play because I don't like them", but that is clearly the intent of the league.

It's exactly the same as the examples you have given, but thinly veiled behind a ridiculous suggestion that only white people are capable of playing 'fundamental basketball'.

A few Asian guys at your local gym not letting you join in is very different to institutionalised, organised rules that exclude perople based on their race alone.

I'd suggest that is those Asian guys needed another player, and the choice was between you and another Asian kid, and the group said "Hey, you can ball, but we are picking the other guy because you are white and he's Asian. In fact, we didn't even consider you, because you are not Asian." - you wouldn't be too pleased.

Now, multiply that feeling by the thousands, and put out a press release on Martin Luther King Jr day (which he did) and see if anyone has an issue with it.

Reply #265569 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Yeah, I get ya. His words and timing are poor, and reading between the lines, he is blaming black people for the state of affairs in basketball etc.

Reply #265570 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

man this is nearly as bad as that KFC ad.... nearly

Reply #265572 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Mball where is the contradiction? Popp is white? Danny Morseau coached & i'm very sure whites were not allowed. Everything else you say is fine but the argument is is this racist?

Reply #265617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orbit - Yes, Popp is white. I am not sure how you can say a white coach setting up an indigenous team is rascist. That's all.

Reply #265749 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

The colour of Popp is irrelevent. I'll leave this alone....

Reply #265750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 pm, Sun 2 Jun 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754