Bullets
Earlier this week

36ers vs Jackjumpers

Close one after 3 quarters in Adelaide.

Know it's his first game back but Jarell Martin looks cooked. Playing heavy and looks to have lost all of his athleticism.

Topic #52366 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Good game though. Martin be ok though, yes not fit yet. Davis is fantastic. Harrell as well

Reply #952080 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

struggles continue for Tassie

Reply #952082 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

The loss of Lee nearly as bad as McVeigh, other than Magnay there front court is so light weight, no strength. Doyle 34 minutes on court, plus 12, he's not JJs problem, lack of back up 4-5 is.
Sixers turning into a very good TEAM, congratulations to Wells and his coaching team, Davis and Harrell been superb pickups.

Reply #952083 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Earlier this week

Is there any excuse for Martin being overweight though? I am not saying he is, but if others think so, what has been doing for the last couple of months? It is going to be a headache for Wells to work out how to use all three bigs. At some point they have to play Griscti, but there really has not been an opportunity with most matches being in the balance for vast majority.

Very odd first half. Was worried about Jackjumpers grinding Adelaide out and getting hot from deep to get the win, and was looking that way in the first half. Adelaide really lacked energy and pace, but found something eventually in that second half. Ultimately, good win.

Reply #952085 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this week

Geez Trez is lucky to not get like 10 techs by now

Reply #952086 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Trez I think is unlucky he doesn't get more free throws. He gets whacked a lot.

Reply #952087 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Earlier this week

Martin is going to need at least 4-6 weeks to get in credible shape, he's in the perfect spot where he is basically the 6th man, but would be one of the most expensive ones in history. Can't see all 3 bigs on together at all, with Matins fitness can't really hide him with Humphries on perimeter and would lose Harrell's toughness inside.
In hindsight with Harrell coming in the Sixers should have been very cautious in signing an injured player they can't just get rid of without paying out his full amount.
Good win against Tassie, but they just aren't winning those games they have in last couple of years (obviously) and just don't seem to have that X factor local to raise their game. A lot of speculation about McVeigh, wouldn't be surprised if Houston make a big move, JJs will be praying McVeigh is included for salary and gets waived immediately. But would he be satisfied trying to get a gleague spot, that's why imo there may have been informal talks he'd head home immediately hence this speculation.
Only other way is to put Sword to the sword and try and find someone else. Moller may help as rumoured but has he got enough tread left on the tyres.
As for Sixers, Davis was very good again, DJ struggling. Unbelievably bad tech in final few minutes throwing ball straight at Drmic. Getting a lot of attention and Davis is benefitting as a result, but starting to show he isn't really a first option in scoring or all NBL.
But Sixers are finally getting wins, albeit ugly. And looks like getting Wells over Scotty was a decent move, just a real top heavy roster with no real depth. Imagine if Harrell hadn't shown up and decided to stay.

Reply #952088 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this week

Where are all the sixers fans that piled on davis at the start of the season. Got egg of their gave now he's their savior covering for their fragile backcourt.

His treatment was very poor, especially for such a young player. Surprised he didn't pack his bags and head to a club with a better supporter environment

Reply #952089 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Earlier this week

Didn't see any Adelaide fans pile on KD, was interstate journos and fans. They jumped on him after two games because as he said "we any easy target “

Reply #952090 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Replacing Lee with Gak may be the worst roster choice ever made by the JJs

Reply #952091 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this week

36ers roster is definitely top heavy and that could haunt them, especially if they get an injury, but at the very least they're looking like a team that should make the playoffs. Wells too looks like he's good enough to stick in the league for a while as well.

At this point after years of bad coaching, dysfunctional rosters and under-performing I'll take a team that's got solid coaching and a good chance to make the playoffs.

Reply #952092 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Earlier this week

Yeah I never got this idea that fans got on KD, it's was always the jurnos that were having a go. Infact I think most people were pretty positive from the first season game. Either way this was a horrid game but good that we can find the wins.

Reply #952095 | Report this post

KL  
Earlier this week

Honouring Swords contract now is basically sacrificing the season. The JJs would have likely won these past 2 games with just a little bit of extra quality on their roster. These types of losses will just keep accumulating if they sit on their hands now and the season will be lost by the time the Calvary rides in (whether that is MacDonald or McVeigh as well). Finding a suitable import 4/5 is probably easier said than done but surely there is someone out there. It is remarkable they are this competitive basically playing without 3 of their best from last year. Not keeping Lee is proving a huge error of judgement by whoever it was that came up with that idea. These roster decisions just seem even more bizarre if it is true that there was a known risk that one or both of Magnay and McVeight could go to the NBA as far back as March. JJs have virtually not put a single foot wrong for the entirety of their existence until now.

Reply #952096 | Report this post

Dotman  
Earlier this week

Sixers love has returned. Seems all the huffy and puffy about new coach as now been forgotten. Wonders of winning. Only now wonder if Ninny be in same position with ssme squad.not to get ahead but season is evolving well.full house says something too..

Reply #952097 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this week

Just ignore Kolzee, spends the whole time trolling Adelaide and in particular DJ, who acts like did something to Kolzee's mother.

Now started on Adelaide's fans.

BTW, It was Olgun who called out Davis, before Davis had a crack back. Davis has been good since and was great tonight

Reply #952098 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Roth saying that it reminds him of their first season, they are in the same position and made the GF, big difference is they are the defending champs and everyone is taking them very seriously

Reply #952099 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Roth saying that it reminds him of their first season, they are in the same position and made the GF, big difference is they are the defending champs and everyone is taking them very seriously

Reply #952100 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Yesterday

It's actually frustration peter that sixers club and fans expect to throw a heap of money at couple of short term signings and coach change and their woes will be fixed.

Then when it doesn't work everyone complains like they deserve better. Look at the recent seasons if you think that's unfair.

So you're right I've got it in for Adelaide because I respect clubs that build a culture and work hard for success much more.

That's why I respect cairns and hawks much more.

I'd love sixers to be strong again but throwing money around to paper over cracks is stupid and supporters don't seem to see that and expect instant success.

That's how I see it anyway

Reply #952101 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

Was the criticism regarding Davis mainly a sentence amongst an article written by Olgun? If that's it, then it was hardly anything over the top. Davis had clearly shown enough already to most. Worth pointing out that his defence helped turn the game in that third period too.

Kolzee, but most imports are short term signings anyway. On the contrary, Adelaide have looked long term with their local signings, and focused on developing a couple of South Australian players. So, they shouldn't have signed Harrell? And instead should have embarked on a couple of years of adversity in order to prioritse culture? Not mutually exclusive. Please be critical of any team who has made a coaching change or spent more to attract certain players then.

Reply #952110 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Yesterday

I'll try to clarify my comments.

Firstly I've got no issue with clubs spending big of they have their club set up for success. But if you can't get your house in order then endless coaching changes, dumping scapegoats and signing big money recruits are fools gold. IMO that is the trap the sixers have fallen into.

Secondly a roster needs balance and I notice a lot of sixers fans wanting a squad of marquee signings then wondering what's gone wrong when they play selfishly, can't defend and are inconsistent. Or have unrealistic expectations of imports but not highly paid locals. And on top of that not appreciating role and effort players. Wiley is a good example. Treated like rubbish by both the club and supporters yet he played with more effort than most of the squad.

I'm just stating my opinion. As far as I'm aware DJV has done nothing to my mother. He just can't play D and his shot selection is so woeful people call him a volume shooter to make it sound better. So he's not worth the money. Simple.

Reply #952115 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Yesterday

It is a fine balance with imports who are good enough to fit in well with team requirements and who are prepared to stay long term. The role of an import is to improve the team and most slot into the 1, 3 or 5 positions. At the same time, the Australians who play well enough to hold down these positions as starters are also limited in numbers as for financial reasons, they tend to accept overseas contracts.

At the moment, I agree that the team really needs an import that can slot between the 3 and 4 rather than 4 and 5 positions. There were glimpses of what Martin can do shot wise on from outside on Sunday. Probably not be the long term solution though.

I guess the issue is that Harrell was only thought of as a short term injury replacement solution both from his future aims and also from the 36ers when signed. However, the impact he has made on both the team and competition has changed that viewpoint. It may also be that his NBA opportunities are not currently there, hence his decision to sign for the season.

It will be interesting to see what transpires over the next month as Martin regains match fitness. The role of the coach in fitting in the three bigs into the rotation will also be of major importance. There were signs on Sunday of some excellent play between the bigs but it will take time for them to get used to each other, whichever combination is on the floor.

Certainly this will force opposition teams to tighten up interior defence which will then enable DJV to get more open shots and not force them so much. Even if over the next month the 36ers can go 50-50 in games won, it will set them up well for the rest of the season and finals.

As an aside, how good has Davis been, he seems to be improving every match and is certainly someone to keep as long as possible on current trajectory.

Reply #952123 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Yesterday

Agree Ushiro, I've been impressed by the way he's controlled games... and his out and out effort. One play yesterday was especially evident of that. Wells can probably take some credit for his engagement. His stats are outstanding, and not just scoring. Sign him for another year I say!

Reply #952127 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Yesterday

Trez with a gift for Cadee's 400th in the change rooms before the game is fantastic. Some serious gifts, some not so.

Can see the chemistry between the players is getting better each week.

Reply #952145 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Yesterday

Kolze,

Are you suggesting the Emperor has been duped by the two imposter weavers?

I like what you are putting down if so.

Reply #952146 | Report this post

Derider  
Yesterday

"That's why I respect cairns and hawks much more."

You don't respect the Hawks at all. You appear to be severely underrating them. The other day, you said you expect them to finish 4th or 5th and were surprised people had them as one of the favourites. It was very weird, since Hawks have looked the most solid out of anyone so far.

Reply #952150 | Report this post

Rat10  
A few hours ago

Kolzee, I disagree that DJV's shot selection is "woeful". He's had 2 below par games but he's shooting the 3 at 40% this season which suggests his shot selection is anything but woeful. He's much improved his ability at the rim as well with his craftiness and also his ablility to get to the free throw line. Add to that, he draws a lot of attention which frees up his teammates. Is he perfect? Of course not. He's no Delly on defence obviously and he hangs on to the ball too much at times.

But here's the thing. Name another Aussie guard better to build your team around? Delly and Goulding are very much towards the back end of their career being 34 and 35 respectively. DJV is 27 and well in his prime. And he's a far superior shooter and scorer than Delly. And let's not forget that the Sixers had built their team around Mitch McCarron which was an absolute disaster. DJV is a massive upgrade as the centrepiece local.

Reply #952156 | Report this post

Kolzee  
A few hours ago

I actually agree as I've mentioned before that he's improved his driving game a lot but when he's in a shooting rut, rather than go back to driving and offloading, he defaults to throwing up awful shots. And when he's shooting well he throws up awful shots rather than capitalising on the extra attention by setting up others. At his stage of his career he should have worked that out.

People keep comparing him to other local guards but if you've signed him as a marquee and using him instead of an import (which was going to be the case this season and is likely to be in future) then you need to compare him to import guards.

Reply #952157 | Report this post

KL  
A couple of hours ago

Fyi if interested. New post by Olgun Uluc on X saying sources telling him JJs actively looking to improve roster now McVeigh staying on his two way with Rockets heading into the NBA season proper. Assume sources means player agents.

Reply #952163 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754