word14
Earlier this week

Josh King is the new SEM coach

From Olgun: Josh King has signed with the South East Melbourne Phoenix as the franchise's new head coach, sources told ESPN. King was most recently the head coach of Darüşşafaka in Turkey.

Topic #52365 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Was at ludwigsburg in Germany for last two seasons, did ok but moved on by management re team D wasn't up to expectations. Germany D rules, so it might not mean that much. Went to Turkey at start this season, still list as coach so it might all be BS.

Reply #952078 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this week

Not only did they sign a bunch of ex-Kings, they take yet another page from the Kings playbook re: coaches! :D

Reply #952093 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Yesterday

Another international coach

Josh King - SEM - American

Brian Goorjian - Sydney Kings - American/Australian
Scott Roth - Jack Jumpers - American
Justin Tatum - Illawarra - American
Mike Wells - 36ers - American
Dean Vickerman - Melbourne - Australian
Justin Schueller - Bullets - Australian
John Rillie - Perth - Australian
Adam Forde - Cairns - Australia

Petteri Koponen - NZ - Finnish

With suspicion that Marko Marinovic will be the new Head Coach of an expansion team. Heck the 6ers staff besides Lake are "imports"

I don't have anything against international coaches coming in, but are some of these hires really better than what is on offer on shore?
Is the league denying Australian coaches opportunities like giving Marinovic a AC job to then promote him later on and restricting the pathway for Aussie coaches?

Does Euroleague have a high % of American coaches?
The NBA doesn't have a high % of international coaches.

Surely there is a AC somewhere in the country who is really good and has been sitting doing their job on the bench for sometime waiting for a chance?
Or even a NBL1 coach who deserves a spot?

Reply #952109 | Report this post

LV  
Yesterday

There are indeed some Australian coaches who might be worth a "chance"

It feels like international coaches are more likely to disappear for opportunities overseas - think Moar and Buford- and Australians only generally do so once NBL opportunities are exhausted or simply out of desire to try something else after a career here (Goorjian, Westover, Gleeson, Dennis etc)

Reply #952111 | Report this post

LC  
Yesterday

Sucks that NBL teams continue to look beyond home grown coaches.

Would have liked to see Sam Mackinnon get a go.

Reply #952119 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Yesterday

The fact that Tatum's experience prior to this was High School, and he’s been a relegation, probably highlights how bad our coach development is here.
A high school team would be more professionally ran and train more frequently than a nbl1 team.

Reply #952122 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Yesterday

Revelation* bloody autocorrect

Reply #952125 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Yesterday

Lot good Australian coaches in Japan, at least 4/5 possibly more.

Reply #952135 | Report this post

Jonno  
Yesterday

Given Josh King has coached a playoff team in the German league, which is rated by many as above the NBL, among other coaching experience, I think its fair to say hes a better candidate than Sam Mackinnon, who has limited coaching experience.

I think its trending a bit like the players, many of the best credentialled coaches in the NBL wont be Australians, in the same way that many of the best players are imports.

Im all for just getting the best players and coaches into the NBL that we can.

Reply #952139 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Yesterday

If you had crossover games between NBL and BBL teams you'd get a mix of results, one isn't clearly above the other. France, Australia, Germany, Italy etc are very similar standards.

King has clearly more coaching experience than Mackinnon, while Sam has far superior knowledge of the NBL. Only time will tell whether King was the right choice or not.

Reply #952140 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Yesterday

I haven't seen this actually confirmed anywhere. He’s still listed as the coach in Turkey. His side in Germany finished eighth out 18, play in spot and they were rated higher than that, as I said previously management moved him on after two seasons. It’s doesn’t make a lot sense to me why he suddenly being poached and certainly before this weekend game if true, it could be an owner call. He might’ve wanted out of Turkey as owners have a lot to say there as well.

Reply #952147 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Yesterday

Does Euroleague have a high % of American coaches?
The NBA doesn't have a high % of international coaches.

Ultimately it hinges on the decision of ownership/management - take SEG for example who hire 100% duds regardless of whether they're local or foreign. I think this is the bigger issue.

Reply #952155 | Report this post

word14  
A couple of hours ago

now officially confirmed

Reply #952164 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754