The Phantom
Earlier this week

Harrell interested in staying

Well no great surprise this has come out. Hardly going to say he can't wait for his stint to be over, although he wasn't happy in post game huddle Sunday. And would of course have NBA out clauses etc, would say there'd be definitely a couple of teams watching his great impact so far.
But what does this mean for Sixers. He's been absolutely perfect as the replacement for Martin, but what happens when he comes back? Paying a lot of money for those 2 and Humphries as the bugs. Davis has been good but not really in the league of reliable MVP calibre PGs.
The money could probably be better spent on a really good 3 man with enough clout to tell DJ to settle down when he gets too excited and starts spraying shots up. Someone like an Anthony Lamb who can just get you a bucket when you need it and if he gets doubled can free up DJ and other shooters.
Who would have thought it, Adelaide actually having the luxury of the imports being too good (apart from question mark on Martins return) to sack them, or at least not resigning Harrell.
Then who's going to get cut?
But Adelaide being Adelaide, who knows how they'll handle it all. Would absolutely not surprise me if they piss off Harrell and he signs with another team to be honest.

Adelaide 36ers star Montrezl Harrell is in "advanced talks" to remain with the team for the rest of the season, according to ESPN.

Harrell is currently signed as an injury replacement for Jarell Martin, but ESPN's Olgun Uluc has reported discussions between the club and Harrell’s agent on a full-time deal have been ongoing for weeks and “there's now a real expectation that will come to fruition”.

Harrell has made an immediate impact in five games, averaging 15.7 points and 10.3 rebounds, while bringing an infectious energy to the court.

After last Friday’s win over the Sydney Kings, Harrell opened the door to a permanent stay in the NBL this season.

“I definitely can,” Harrell said when asked if he could see him himself playing in the league beyond his current short-term contract.

“These fans and this organisation has been nothing but giving love to me and supporting me ever since I got off that plane after the 24-hour flight.

“It’s been amazing and I’m just looking to keep doing everything that I can for this organisation, and they are giving it right back.”

Topic #52347 | Report this topic

+  
Earlier this week

Hope he stays - the coaching staff and players have worked out a good way for 2 bigs to be on court together and be a threat. As with any player one would fully understand a NBA outclause. Looking forward to when Martin is fit and what it will look like. First half v Phoenix 36ers looked very composed and structured with plenty of counters for what the opposition ran.

Still a long way to go.

Reply #951692 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this week

Come to Brisbane Trez. We've got nothing but bums here, you’d be an instant smash hit.

Reply #951696 | Report this post

JT  
Yesterday

Presents an interesting scenario where Adelaide will only ever be able to play 4 of its top 5 players on court. Is this good enough to compete with the best? Puts a lot of pressure on Mayen, Marshall and Deng to perform

Reply #951701 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Yesterday

Four of their top five 'offensive' players. You need balance on the court, and Adelaide's problem certainly isn't scoring more points, it's finding a way to defend.

Reply #951702 | Report this post

KeepHoopDreaming  
Yesterday

It will be Starling out, Harrell in.

Reply #951703 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Yesterday

And will be the biggest spending team in the league....again.

Reply #951706 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Yesterday

Does anyone have anything positive to say about this potential signing?

Realistically when Martin does come back, he will be on limited minutes for quite a while as his fitness returns to game fitness. Martin can also play outside as well as inside so for the limited time all three of Humphries, Martin and Harrell are on the court together, Martin can spread the defence by working in and out.

It certainly looked as if Harrell and Humphries were very tired on Sunday after playing big minutes on Friday so having the three bigs will certainly ease the pressure and risk of injury.

I do agree that 36ers need another good outside shooter though and long term, a three as suggested may be a better solution.

Realistically it is still open to conjecture and with the usual NBA out clause, it may only be a short term situation which will allow Martin to regain match fitness.

Reply #951708 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

I feel like this would have been more or less done for a while. It only felt like he stepped off the plane a few days ago, and if Martin is back this week, then the whole thing probably was never going to benefit either party. Probably just a case of Harrell wanting to stay for certain.

Ushiro, good point about Martin likely to be eased back in anyway. It could be a case of just playing whoever is hot or best suited on game day. If they are reluctant to play the younger bigs even briefly, we really need Martin to come back and take that load of a bit.

From memory, the concensus was that if Adelaide were to sign an import during the season, then it should be another big. Many liklely wanted a 3/4 type also. It turns out this player is Harrell and not someone who is just a solid defender and rebounder behind Humphries and Martin.

Other issue for me is that I really think Rigoni has to be the one to make way but many seem to think Starling? Maybe Starling will stay on the team as an injury nominated player or something?

Reply #951714 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Yesterday

I would rather Rigoni out before Starling but Alex does himself no favours. As soon as he stepped on the court jacked up a 3 and had his other two shots blocked. Not exactly indearing himself to the coach for more minutes or keeping his spot.

Reply #951717 | Report this post

KET  
Yesterday

Starling just needs to never ever ever shoot it, otherwise though I appreciate his hustle and effort plays.

Given the team is 3-3, this perhaps could be a blessing in disguise if the playing group can continue to develop chemistry with Martin's inclusion and if they are savvy in utilising the three bigs together. At least they’d have addressed depth issue pretty early on and with a fantastic import.

The trouble they will have is having three bigs that are sort of centre types pace and spacing wise.

With that said, the opportunity to be savvy and make it work has potential because Harrell can be very effective defensively and rebound wise as well as physically and doesn’t require the ball in his hands in offence, whilst Martin is very offensive and can stretch the D with his perimeter shot. Then we have Humphries, he is good both offensively in the key and defensively.

So it has the potential to be a super mix. They should be able to get a best of both worlds.

They have to figure out when to use Dech and Mayen more though because vs Melbourne the D sucked we needed the disruptive length of those two and we didn’t have enough of it on the court. Melbourne scored too easily which meant we had to take the ball out of the basket and they were able to press and have their defence set, so DJV was completely covered and it just made life too hard. Having centre type bigs doesn’t alleviate that, that’s why we need to identify when those guys, plus Marshall are critical for their wingy defensive length.

Reply #951719 | Report this post

Beantown  
A few hours ago

Yeah I agree with the glass half full comments in the last few posts. After the last 6 seasons, working out how to fit two talented imports like Harrell and Martin into the Sixers team seems like a nice problem to have!

I think being able to rotate three talented bigs all game will keep the pressure on opponents and allow Martin to ease himself back into it.

Seems to be a few over-reacting to a loss and DJV having a quiet game! Melbourne just played a defensive master-class and now the Sixers know they have work to do in both fitness and tactics departments.

Agree with what you are saying about Dech, Mayen and Marshall KET. Harrell in particular I thought struggled with the two intense games in two days and should've played less v Melbourne. We needed to lean into younger, faster legs and more perimeter shooting to spread the floor better in the Melbourne game.

Reply #951721 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
A few hours ago

"Martin can also play outside as well as inside so for the limited time all three of Humphries, Martin and Harrell are on the court together, Martin can spread the defence by working in and out."

Can't imagine them playing together. Between the 4-5 spots they can all play 25-30 mins which is the right amount for big men. The challenge is those pairings defending ball-screens, as Melbourne showed mercilessly on Sunday.

Reply #951724 | Report this post

Q Anon  
A few hours ago

If the 36ers run Humphries , Martin and Harrell the issue os the back court defence of DJV and KD

Dech is the teams best defender so needs to be on Adams, Cotton or whoever from the start of the game.

Martin off the bench would be huge advantage for the 36ers IMO.

Definite Crawford , Fisher , Vlahov vibes with the big 3

Reply #951727 | Report this post

LV  
A couple of hours ago

Spot on.

Dech is crucial.

Mayen the biggest loser of Harrell staying on.

Reply #951730 | Report this post

Zodiac, but the fact that Starling is actually playing and someone like Rigoni is not, already means that he is seen as more useful anyway, regardless of what he does or does not do. It is still more productive than someone who cannot even get any minutes in the first place. That was really the only time I can think of Starling putting up an unnecessary shot, but he does seem to struggle with finishing around the rim at NBL level. Probably a symptom of playing in a comfortbale league for so long. I just cannot work out how he is the candidate when he can actually play some useful defence and everyone agrees it is something we need more of. I would give him the year.

This is actually got me thinking about how possible it would be for the NBL to have a trade period? You could imagine how useful it might be for unbalanced rosters. Maybe something similar to the AFL.

Reply #951736 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Within the hour

As already mentioned, Martin will come back off the bench anyway, but if he returns to a high level, could Humphries be better suited to come off the bench as an impact big man?

I think Harrell has played his best and most productive basketball at the 5 rather than the 4, and then you can play Martin a bit more outside.

Reply #951738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Wed 16 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754