Vander18
Earlier this week

VJBL Import rule

Wondering if anyone can clarify re the application of rule 16.5 in the VJBL rules of operation.

Scenario is that the child played u12 and u14 Representative basketball at one Association. He chose to sit out both u16 seasons but now wants to return and play u18 at a new Association. The new Association is treating him as an "import" - ie subject to the limitation that only two imports can play on a given team for that Association.

The rule is as follows:
“Teams participating in VJL 3 (or higher) will be granted permission to accept a maximum of two (2) players into their team whom have cleared from another association after having played with another association in the previous Championship Season or current Grading Phase One.”

My read of this is that only children who played the previous Championship season are subject to the rule and that as this child has sat out the last two seasons he would be exempted from it. I have raised this with the new Association but they continue to insist that he is an “import.” They argue that regardless of wording, this is how BV expects the rule to be applied.

Wondering if anyone has experience of this rule being applied and can either affirm or correct my understanding.

Topic #52341 | Report this topic

+  
Earlier this week

I have nothing to do with VJBL but I read it as "previous Championship Season or current Grading Phase One." meaning 2024 championship season. (IMO)

Where it could get technical is - are they referring to the players previously played championship season or the competitions previous championship season.

One for the Competitions Committee to advise or similar body of control IMO.

Reply #951570 | Report this post

Vander18  
Earlier this week

Reply #951570
Thought about this....

It references "THE previous Championship season “ so to me that suggests the one immediately prior to upcoming season , not all seasons prior to.

Reply #951571 | Report this post

Anon  
Earlier this week

Definitely not an Import. Classed as a domestic player.

Reply #951573 | Report this post

SM  
Earlier this week

@Vander18, i've been involved in VJBL tryouts for 8 years. Unfortunately for your son the association is correct. When the VJBL refer to a previous Championship season it encompasses the one immediately prior and anything prior to that.

As a coach i wouldnt even risk taking a player in your son's situation if i think i'm trying to grade for VJL3 or higher, even if i end up in VJL5.

The fact remains that he is still an import when he moves from 1 association to another, and unless he's prepared to play lower-level divisions he wont be exempted from this rule.

Reply #951577 | Report this post

Vander18  
Earlier this week

@SM
Thanks for the response.

The thing is, the rule doesn't refer to "a" previous Championship Season, it refers to “the” previous Championship Season.

That wording cannot be logically extrapolated to include all previous seasons in my opinion.

Do you have any direct experience with BV that suggests they support your view? Ie where they have provided guidance on this matter?

Reply #951589 | Report this post

retired  
Earlier this week

BNSW also have an inter association transfer rule for reps and some Association find a way to get around it.

One association in Sydney had and SPP player and state player sit out a season so that player could play for their association and no transfer is required.

Rule roughted.

Reply #951611 | Report this post

DeepWombat  
Earlier this week

I've seen VJBL clubs interpret the rule as SM said, however I agree it's a very poorly worded rule and the wording should be changed if that is the intent.

Reply #951627 | Report this post

Bluey  
Earlier this week

If the kid did not play last season (at all), he's not an import.

Reply #951633 | Report this post

Vander18  
Earlier this week

@Bluey He played domestic, no rep at all for two seasons.

Reply #951634 | Report this post

Bluey  
Earlier this week

yep, sorry, if he didn't play VJBL at all last season, he is not an import.

Reply #951635 | Report this post

Relaxed coach  
Earlier this week

Have to love tryout time and import rules. Regardless of the wording, I would suggest you actually reach out to Basketball Victoria probably Adrian Campbell and ask for clarification and explain the situation.

All the associations will only be trying to do the right thing.

Reply #951645 | Report this post

IamBear  
Earlier this week

@Vander, If your son did not play or was not registered to play in representative basketball, VJBL ending in 2024, then he is not considered as an import.
He played domestic basketball only.
I have seen this example three times in the past 5 years and all kids were taken as non imports to their new clubs.

Reply #951653 | Report this post

Vander18  
Earlier this week

@IamBear Thanks for this - real life application of the rule is what I'm looking to hear about.

Have to written to BV as well - will see what they say.

Reply #951657 | Report this post

Lakers33  
Earlier this week

@Vander18, the rule seems clear enough. But you should confirm it directly with BV to be sure. For your son's sake, let's hope the destination Association isn't being disingenuous and looking for an easy way of excluding certain players.

Reply #951658 | Report this post

Vander18  
Earlier this week

Thanks all for the input.

Managed to get hold of BV this morning and they advised that player is 100% not an import.

As I suspected, if you did not play VJBL in the season immediately prior, then the import rule does not apply.

Reply #951668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:51 am, Wed 16 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754