Baller
Last week

McVeigh buzzer beater

McVeigh just hit the last shot on the buzzer to send the nba preseason game to overtime, don't know what bogut is on about , McVeigh won’t be back this season

Topic #52334 | Report this topic

EssenX  
Last week

Here's the shot: https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/41709515

I don't see him coming back this year. He'll stick around for a year or two, at least. He's got the confidence to make some big shots and make an impression, and earn a place in the rotation short-term.

Reply #951368 | Report this post

KL  
Last week

Hit a dagger 3 with 30 seconds to go in overtime too. Rockets were +14 in his minutes.

Reply #951371 | Report this post

Baller  
Last week

I'm surprised we don’t see more set plays like that in basketball with deliberately missed foul shots

Reply #951372 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Shooting is the most important individual skill in basketball- especially outside shooting.

And McVeigh is elite at catch-and-shoot.

In the right situation he can thrive. Hopefully this is it.

Reply #951373 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

It's such a great story with McVeigh the past 9 months or so. Puts the JJ's on his back in the GF and leads them to the championship, gets picked for the Olympic squad to the surprise of most, then plays well enough in camp to actually make the team, then plays well enough at the Olympics to get an NBA contract and already he's hitting big shots and sending NBA pre-season games into OT.

It's just incredible I don't think I've seen anyone just a flick a switch and ascend so far so quickly. I just wish he was still in Adelaide we all knew he had the potential to be a pretty good player in the NBL but no one could've predicted Finals MVP, Olympian and NBA player.

Reply #951374 | Report this post

Baller  
Last week

It's mind blowing really that the 36ers had this guy warming a bench it’s a hard thing to get your head around

Reply #951375 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last week

If the Rockets don't give him a spot, wouldn't be shocked if he got another NBA offer.

Reply #951377 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

Well the JJs think he'll be back, they replaced him with Terangi. Well done McVeigh, onwards and upwards.

Reply #951378 | Report this post

word14  
Last week

Bogut crying in a corner right now

Reply #951379 | Report this post

KL  
Last week

If it wasn't already, there may be some thought now being given to upgrading him to that final full roster spot. If he does make it for a year or two we will probably never see him in the NBL again. He will well and truly have priced himself out of our market. But this is only preseason and not the real thing so we shouldn’t be getting too excited just yet. But he could hardly have done any more than he has so far and you would think that has been enough for the Rockets to want to test him in the proper rotations before the preseason is over.

Reply #951380 | Report this post

Baller  
Last week

Dunkman tell me then what other high end Australian players were available on short notice that you would have signed as his replacement??

Reply #951381 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Last week

Saw his 3 pointer, talk about not scouting your man

Reply #951382 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

I don't know, is moller fit, in the country, certainly he’d be a Roth type player, or let Sword go and get a four import. I just don’t see Terangi as an option unless budget. What about Mitchell, if name is correct played at bullets last season.

Reply #951383 | Report this post

Baller  
Last week

Apparently they were in talks with moller but he wasn't going to be ready to play until the second half of the season and was after pretty high money

Reply #951384 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

I suppose you get what you pay for. It's going to be much tougher to go back to back though, certainly if a few injuries crop up. Roth is a master so I’m certainly not ruling them out, probably still top two or three at present.

Reply #951385 | Report this post

KL  
Last week

Terangi was part of that small ball lineup with Sword that really worked and got the JJs back in the game in the 3rd against the Cats. Terangi has mainly been serviceable so far especially on D. Think the jury is still out on whether Roth can work his magic with him. In any event Deng is going to another level so not such an issue so long as he keeps it up. JJs may just end up being very cashed up for next season when all is said and done.

Reply #951386 | Report this post

The Phantom  
Last week

DJ Mitchell way more talented than a guy like Terangi but proves how much culture is taken over talent. Had good patches with Brisbane, but huge red flags over attitude, not a chance Roth would ever consider him.
Don't know if there were any flashes of being knucklehead in nbl1, just shows how reputation can really destroy a career whilst a guy like Terangi hangs on being mediocre at best.
Good lesson for all the kids and parents out there.

Reply #951395 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last week

Is rather have gliddon than te rangi and gliddon is retired so def available

Reply #951399 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last week

I don't know, is moller fit, in the country, certainly he'd be a Roth type player

You would think he is the ace up Tasmania's sleeve if McVeigh doesn't return. Moller and Roth - come on, let's get that defensive magic happening.

Reply #951417 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

JJs might double down on D with Moller

Like the year United were locking everyone down but needed a scorer.... so they brought Yudai Baba back

Reply #951425 | Report this post

Cram  
Last week

Jack loves a big shot. Well done to him.

The Rockets are stacked with wings (at least in quantity, if not all quality) where there just isnt enough minutes for all the guys.

Best hope is that they consolidate some of that depth at some point and trade a few guys out for fewer guys coming back, opening up some room on the depth chart.

Reply #951432 | Report this post

Baller  
Last week

With the amount of injuries that come up during a season I think at the very least they will have McVeigh in the g league ready to call up when needed he will get opportunities at some point they love shooters in the nba these days

Reply #951441 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Pretty sure two-way contracts stipulate the player has to be called up from the G-League to the NBA team at least twice during the season and they always give them some courtime so assuming he doesn't ask to be released beforehand and not injured he will play some NBA games, they usually get time in around 4-5 games.

Reply #951443 | Report this post

rjd  
Last week

Rockets have 3 former NBL players? Landale, Tate and McVeigh. McVeigh keeps being clutch.

Reply #951448 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last week

If McVeigh doesn't come back think Tasmania will upgrade Sword just waiting until the middle of the season to make a call.

Reply #951449 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Plus Thon Maker has signed an Exhibit 10 deal with Houston so if he fails to make the Rockets roster he'll be playing for their G-League team where he and McVeigh will be teammates too.

Reply #951450 | Report this post

Cram  
Last week

He'll only be playing for their G League team if he decides to stay in the G League instead of go overseas.

I think there's a bonus if they stay there for a certain time, but its not a binding deal except in relation to the other G league teams.

Reply #951451 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

The bonus is upon signing the Exhibit 10 deal, about an extra $50k which locks the player to their G-League team only and pretty sure it is binding.

The Wizards weren't happy with Vasiljevic last year when he signed an Exhibit 10 deal with them, then they cut him before training camp even opened and he told them to get stuffed declined to play for their G-League team and signed with the 36ers.

The Kings were pissed with him too, understandably as he still had 2 years to go on his contract with them when he signed with the Wizards so as they owned his NBL rights he was expected to return to them.

Reply #951453 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

I don't know if there Makers cousins or brothers but two Makers are playing in Saudi Arabia, again it be good money.

Reply #951454 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

I should add Exhibit 10 deals are also binding to the NBA team. Mitch Creek signed an Exhibit 10 deal with Brooklyn, got cut in training camp played for their G-League team, got called up to their NBA team a couple of times then they sent him back to their G-League team and as he couldn't sign with another NBA team he asked to be released and he signed with Minnesota towards the end of that season.

Reply #951455 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Both his brother Matur and cousin Makur played for Sydney a few seasons ago.

Reply #951456 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last week

I wouldnt bet against Jack doing anything at this point. He has an instagram page with a lot of mindset things I've subscribed to. If you 'make big shots' like he does there's always going to be somewhere in the NBA for you, and hes got enough of the other attributes to justify a bench spot somewhere surely.

Reply #951458 | Report this post

KL  
Last week

Doyle has said on SEN today that Sword is very much in the JJs plans with increased minutes and scoring as the season progresses. Also sounds like Terangi is giving Roth in D what he lost when Kenyon left. So, doubt very much either will be going anywhere. My guess is more reliance on Drmic and Deng offensively. Also MacDonald is progressing well and to sound like a broken record will make a big difference when he comes back including offensively. Olgun Uluc has also posted today that McVeigh now not expected to return. No surprises there. A podcast in the States this morning is titled "legend of Jack McVeigh' begins". We would say of course, 'just continuing’.

Reply #951460 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 am, Wed 16 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754