SonicBoomer
Yesterday

VJBL U20 changes

Anyone heard about rumoured changes to U20 programme this season? Heard fixtures might be moving off Friday nights

Topic #52328 | Report this topic

Hedge  
Yesterday

They are being moved to Sundays.
I think clubs were only told last week.
Late notice considering lot have already had tryouts.

Reply #951239 | Report this post

MICHAEL_MACGYVER  
Yesterday

I thought tryouts only started this week?

Reply #951260 | Report this post

WBF  
A few hours ago

What was the rationale for the changes?

Reply #951263 | Report this post

Manders  
A few hours ago

Court and ref pressures. I guess 18/19 year olds like to go out on a Friday so might help retain players in the age bracket.

Reply #951278 | Report this post

Lakers33  
Within the hour

If it's true then it makes sense for several reasons.

-Court availability
-Availability of Officials. More opportunity for Officials to do more games and earn more $$$
-Coaches will be able to coach more teams (eg. A coach could coach both a Fri nite team and a Sun team. Less pressure on Associations to find VJBL coaches

It gives BV the opportunity to make more money because more U20s teams could be accomodated. And more players will be retained moving up from U18s because there will be ops for them to continue to play at Rep level if they are not ready to move up to YL.

This also could be the first move towards creating a new U23 Rep competition to keep players in the game for longer.

And moving games to Sundays limits the ops for players to play Rep basketball and Aussie Rules at the same time. So it is a way of trying to stop players from moving sports.

Reply #951306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Tue 8 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754