Damo 75
A few hours ago

Cairns @ Melbourne

No interest in this only 30min before tip-off? Both teams coming off a Thursday night W should be a beauty.

United obviously favorites, but I can't believe the bookies have Cairns as bigger outsiders that Brisbane were last night. As was said on Thursday, a good chance to see where Taipans are really at and an upset isn't out of the question.

Topic #52325 | Report this topic

LV  
A few hours ago

Upset absolutely not out of the question

Based purely on the small sample size of the season to date, Cairns look a strong chance of top 6.

Looking forward to seeing Armstrong and Edwards against United's guards. They've been the stars of their two wins

Reply #951062 | Report this post

Damo 75  
A few hours ago

No betting options available for Adnam or Armstrong and Taipans have blown out further in the odds. Assuming they're both out but haven't found any official announcement.

Reply #951063 | Report this post

LV  
A couple of hours ago

Groves not playing

That's a huge problem for Cairns

Reply #951064 | Report this post

Cruella Deville  
A couple of hours ago

With that call for CG I'm going to be teaching my players to kick out on their shots as it extends their cylinder

Reply #951065 | Report this post

Damo 75  
A couple of hours ago

Nope, Adnam and Armstrong both in. Strange.

Groves is definitely a loss though.

Reply #951066 | Report this post

GordonG  
A couple of hours ago

Double foul? Really?

Reply #951067 | Report this post

Damo 75  
A couple of hours ago

Taipans looking very good. Excellent first half!

Reply #951068 | Report this post

Tornado  
A couple of hours ago

Melbourne get some more than favourable calls.

Reply #951069 | Report this post

Turnover  
Within the hour

that foul on Lee for the elbow was a rubbish call. Are you ment to rebound with straight arms?

Reply #951071 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Within the hour

I think the lady sitting behind the Cairns bench has been planted there to try and distract them :D

Reply #951072 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Within the hour

100% turnover.

Reply #951076 | Report this post

Cruella Deville  
Within the hour

Love this Cairns team effort hope they can keep it up and the ref's don't give United a ride home

Reply #951077 | Report this post

Ben  
Within the hour

How I feel right now. Hopefully someone gets the gag.

---

Me: Mum, can I have these please? *points to Cairns Taipans*

Mum: But we've already got these at home son. *points to Brisbane Bullets*

Reply #951078 | Report this post

MaxM  
Within the hour

Life on Cairns Island looking very nice!
Rob Edwards will be All-NBL

Reply #951080 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Within the hour

LOL @ Ben

Reply #951081 | Report this post

word14  
Within the hour

MaxM hell yeah Taipans Island is pretty nice right now!

Reply #951082 | Report this post

Damo 75  
A few minutes ago

Massive W from Cairns. After three rounds it already seems the days of them being taken lightly will be over.

Reply #951083 | Report this post

CG404  
A few minutes ago

Well-played, Cairns. Far too athletic for a very old United team.

Reply #951085 | Report this post

Dunkman  
A few minutes ago

Cairns looking finals bound, now there is a surprise. They keep their top 7-8 players healthy and they will cause massive problems.

Reply #951086 | Report this post

LV  
A few minutes ago

Great game by Taipans

Edwards is indeed the microwave

Unfortunately United will regularly have stretches like that 2nd half where they just can't score. Happened in Tasmania and happened in this game. Their offense isn't at the level of an NBL championship team.

Reply #951088 | Report this post

MaxM  
A few minutes ago

I agree LV, seems they are lacking the extra scoring option that JLA was last year.

Didnt matter against a porous Perth defence on Friday, but against good defences they will continue to struggle I feel

Reply #951089 | Report this post

Zodiac  
A few minutes ago

The Taipans are so impressive everyone had them derts for the spoon me included and they just refuse to accept their lot in life. Forde's done wonders up there hopefully they re-sign him to a long term deal.

I think Edwards might end up being one of those imports that hangs around for a few years like McCall and Machado before him.

Reply #951091 | Report this post

Cruella Deville  
A few minutes ago

Love seeing a small budget / town team pull the pants down of a big city spending team. How good is this.

So sad to see United have to travel a distance equal to what Cairns has to do for all their away games. A good lesson how hard travelling and playing really is but never acknowledged

Reply #951092 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
A few minutes ago

Very very pleasing weekend to be a Taipans supporter! Exciting to see the potential in our team this early on in the season. Another big weekend next round. Hope we can stay healthy, that will put is a in a great position at the end of the season.

Reply #951093 | Report this post

word14  
A few minutes ago

What the Taipans do with their budget and market is never not impressive

Reply #951094 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Within the hour

United's roster moves this off-season were a bit weird for a team that is a championship contender virtually every season since Vickerman has been there.

Giving Goulding a 2 year extension despite having a year to go on his previous deal was odd given his age. A show of faith sure but essentially re-signing him to a 3 year deal when he was on the precipce of going over the cliff due to an injury or age and here we are.

Replacing JLA + Hukporti with Loe + Lee was also bizarre. They need at least one good centre but didn't sign one. Too much for White to do. A few guys on the bench who aren't panning out like Cameron, Krebs, Aliir.

It really did seem like they wrote this season off hoping to retool next season perhaps with a returning JLA.

Reply #951097 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Within the hour

I really hope you're right Zodiac. Unfortunately I can see it being more like Ubaka/Dorsey/Trice/Trimble et al and getting poached by a southern team if he stays in the NBL.

Reply #951098 | Report this post

LV  
Within the hour

It depends how much they're paying CG and you don't know that Zodiac

Most great shooters in his mould play til they're 37, 38 or more (Heal, Bruton, Rillie, Penney, Copeland etc). I just hope his salary was downgraded and they haven't committed 2 extra years at All-NBL level salary. Again though, we don't know that.

My issue is United basically has the best Aussie/ local group in the NBL (Possible exception Sydney) yet their import signings didn't provide what was needed

Was that a salary issue, perhaps. Could they just not afford someone like a Jaylen Adams, Cam Oliver, Trey Kell, etc.

They needed an elite scorer to add the icing on the cake of the locals who are good players but mostly defensive minded and tough (Delly, White, Ili) they aren't finesse guys who'll go off and score 25.

Reply #951102 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Within the hour

Edwards looks a very good player. I'm not buying his listed 6'5" looks 6'4" at best so undersized SG which would limit the market for him internationally. The big danger would be another NBL team poaching him but hopefully he stays.

Reply #951103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:59 pm, Sun 6 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754