Ben
Last month

Phoenix v United - Thurs 26th Sept - 7:30pm EST

First Throwup game for the season. Looking forward to watching a match with passionate crowd behind it.

Both teams at full strength, bar Kenyon out for SEM.

Someone on NBL Pods said it best - SEM needs to get the ball out of Sobey's hands more and in to DWJ's. Sobey typically does as he pleases. Can Mike Kelly encourage a needed shift? Will Sobey continue to act like a pork chop?

Can't see anything other than a comfortable United win by 7-10. Super Saiyan Delly to continue his strong form.

Topic #52298 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last month

SEM certainly not out off this, Hunter really a key defensively, can Hurt and Wieskamp play better D, united always competitive, still very strong across the board. I just think SEM will come out with a chip on there shoulder and get this. SEM by three.

Reply #950356 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Agree re: DWJ/Sobey. I'm not sold on United offensively - I expect them to win tonight, but SEM are a real chance to pile up the type of points United might struggle to match. If scores are kept around the 80-mark, United by 7.

Reply #950357 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last month

Defense v offense. What's the saying defense wins championships. Expect United will attach Hunter tactically to get him foul trouble and take turns at slowing DWJ and more than certain Sobey won’t handle the attention he will get. All well and good having a strong offensive team but what’s your plan B when you get slowed down.

Reply #950358 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Could go either way

It really is a strong defensive team with less firepower, verses a loaded team who struggles defensively

If SEM's shooters get on a roll, and they play with energy defensively off the back of the crowd, then United might not be able to stay with them.

But if Hunter gets in foul trouble, SEM might struggle to contain United's bigs rolling to the hoop and on the glass.

Clark and CG had quiet nights first up, and shooters like that don't often stay off for many consecutive games. So I'm not counting United out in a shootout either.

Wieskamp is the guy I'm still getting a read off. But matchup wise, Delly and Ili vs Walton Jr is the marquee matchup. Can't wait.

Reply #950359 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

SEM will miss Kenyons defence

Reply #950362 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Enjoying these 7:30pm tips while they last, before the backwards state of QLD fails to adhere to daylight savings and we have to endure 6:30pm starts.

Reply #950379 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Hunter throws it into the 5th row then yells at his teammate for not watching the play. Something not right there

Reply #950380 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Sobey defence early been horrible.

Reply #950381 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

This is a fun watch. Both teams playing well and amped for the win

Reply #950382 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Hurt shooting threes like lay ups.

Reply #950383 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Really enjoying the pace and intensity of this game so far

Reply #950384 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Goulding been sucking the refs in since .....

Reply #950385 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Sobey did not want to give that last possession over to hurt!

Reply #950386 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Good game, SEM playing very well, imports doing good. Clear foul on Goulding, Wieskamp having a good game and has brain fade.

Reply #950387 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

No doubt Goulding is an absolute flat-out shooter - gun.

To me his legacy will be diminished his flopping over a long period of time

Reply #950388 | Report this post

KL  
Last month

Owen Foxwell!

Reply #950389 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

SEM look so much better with Sobey off the floor

Reply #950391 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

They should get Hurt some more looks this second half

Reply #950392 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Wagstaff flopping diminishing his reputation, Sobey, even your man McVeigh looked like he got shot out of a cannon, they do it because the refs in the NBL call those type fouls, even the one on Goulding on Wieskamp was rubbish call, Wieskamp learned and threw his head back.

Very good game, can SEM just defend a little bit better and they can get this, if not long second half for them. United just know how to keep getting it going, Goulding is a gun but it's their ability to play team that always makes them formidable.

Reply #950393 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Sobey doing Sobey things and forcing shots.

Meanwhile SEM got a bunch of easy buckets when Walton had ball in hand and was marshalling the troops around.

Difficult to believe Jack White has played a half of basketball and doesn't have a single stat to show for it, apart from a pair of missed shots.

Reply #950394 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Fairly defensive post dunky chill....did not name you was making an observation.

I enjoy and respect your posts most of the time my post was not directed at you but you feel the need to righteously post a response.

My point stands Goulding is a great player who does not need to flop like he does, just because others do it does not compare to the amount he does.

Believe refs should start calling flops.

Reply #950395 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Bang on Ben. Even when Walton on sobey was trying to run the show. He looks lost out there and it's getting worse

Reply #950396 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

So the influencer seats are back again this season.

NBL with the L there.
Could've allocated them to kids from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Shame.

Reply #950397 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

Send the yank ref home he is f@#%ing clueless

Reply #950398 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Likewise Scout, your posting is excellent, Goulding is a star and I go into defensive mode when some of my favourites get bagged, Goulding is not the blue collar guys I normally back though.

SEM got go back to passing the ball instead of iso rubbish

Reply #950399 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Why did Kelly leave wieskamp benched for so long? He only had two fouls and looked good oncourt. I'd give him most of sobeys minutes

Reply #950400 | Report this post

Knowall  
Last month

?Foxwell getting Sobey time

Reply #950401 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Cheers Dunkman - yep agree re ISO not being the way to go - MU are deep and are damn well coached hoping for a close finish but expect them to pull away.

Reply #950402 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

Replacing Walton with Sobey whilst SEM was playing strongly isn't something I’d do.

Love Foxwell.

Reply #950403 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Glover isn't offering much surprisingly. I thought he'd excel in this lineup. They need more from him at least at one of the ends

Reply #950404 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Walton Jr ghad his landing taken out on a 3, fell and got a flop warning.

Goulding gets hit on the wrist on a 3, flails and falls to the ground and gets 3 freethrows.

Such blatant double standards are unjustified.

Reply #950405 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Last month

Nathan Dopey has cost SEM the game. I like their jmports though, and Foxwell was dynamic.

Reply #950406 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

SEM looked great in first quarter when the ball moved, they just go so iso. Sobey played his best basketball seasons ago when Randle had control of the team in Adelaide, ever since he's thought of himself as number one it hasn’t been great. SEM are not out this, they showed some good offence early, their imports are sound, Wieskamp looks quite good at both ends, Hurt better offensively but can get boards. Has Greer or Kelly got balls to move Sobey on or linger on bench. Hunter has been good, Hurt backing up in the five as well. Foxwell show he belongs, no Ayre yet ? Still not that talented on the bench.

United have a star, Goulding, plus these blue collar stars, White, Dally, Illi, Loe Lee, Clarke also plays both ends. Vickerman is also able to get his message across, from a poor defence performance in the first quarter to being able to get SEM to go iso.

Reply #950407 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

@ Sebastian - interesting you say that, other refs on the panel don't have a high opinion of him either.

Nathan Dopey, lol.

Reply #950408 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Sobey put up some bad shots early in the shotclock.
He did facilitate and feed Hunter pretty well though, and had some valuabledefensiveplays in the half court.

Besides the bad shots which were justifiably criticised, he actually didn't play too bad IMO

Reply #950409 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Agree re Foxwell though - he's played very valuable minutes in both games so far.

Reply #950410 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I thought the refs did a very good job, commentary as well, hopefully it keeps going.

Reply #950411 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I would think Sobey is their marquee player, certainly on good money, he has to be better than what he has produced. As Copeland said in commentary, he is so used to having the control that it's hard for him to fall into team first, SEM had similar problems last season.

Reply #950413 | Report this post

K4L  
Last month

Mike Kelly's fault for this loss - what are you delaying/saving the challenge for?

Reply #950414 | Report this post

K4L  
Last month

Goulding got hit on the fingers - which is part of the ball - no foul!!

Reply #950415 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Last month

Yep, got hit on the fingers - and fell to the ground.
Gotta say, his reputation as a flopper is more and more deserved.
The thing is, he's such a good player that he just doesn't need to do it.

Reply #950416 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I believe the hand is no longer part of the ball, Kelly video crew didn't review it quickly enough.

Reply #950417 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Sobey nearly unplayable IMO. 3 or 4 bad plays for every good 1.

Reply #950418 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

SEM disappeared after quarter time. Didn't look enough to Hurt who was excellent early. Sobey hasn't found a comfortable rhythm in this situation and maybe he just won't.

United doing United things. They'll give everyone a tough game, but is their ceiling at championship level this season? I'm not yet convinced. If Delly keeps this up, they might be better than I thought.

Reply #950420 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Despite the loss Matt Hurt is one of my new favourite imports

Reply #950425 | Report this post

Maybe  
Last month

How many more wasted seasons can SEM afford ? Time to accept getting Sobey was a big mistake .He is not a team first player like the rest of them.

Reply #950426 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

There were signs that SEM are still going to be a formidable team, it's very early days and they have played two very good teams. Imo Glover should start and Sobey to sixth man would be better balance for the team. They clearly have to tighten up their D as well.

Reply #950427 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

In the press conference, Vickerman talked about how Loe at one stage had the best plus in the team, good coaches use this stat more than most punters believe. They like players that have team going forward while they are on the floor.

Reply #950428 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Yeah Loe making his doubters (there were many) look silly. Especially by leading with his defence. You always know you'll get effort from him

Reply #950429 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Loe is a very solid player. Those who were watching at the start of last season with United, and following his NZNBL progress, won't be surprised he's playing a valuable role here.

Glad I picked Hurt for my supercoach team

Agree they should bring Sobey off the bench to run their 2nd unit. There are similarities with Russell Westbrook in the NBA- a very athletic guy, a high usage guy. Now Westbrook has found a new role being the primary guy off the bench.

Reply #950430 | Report this post

Ontario LettDown  
Last month

Was really impressed with Foxwell and his aggressiveness and feel for the game down the stretch, seemed composed and played within himself, hopefully a sign of things to come from the young fella

Reply #950434 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Fox well has looked great in pre-seaaon and first 2 games

Where's Ayre at?

Reply #950436 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Agreed LV, it only hit me this morning that we haven't seen any of Ayre yet this season, strange

Reply #950437 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

After the 7th or 8th time I said "Oh, Sobey..." at the TV last night after a no pass possession where he bricked a contested jumper, my wife told me I had a special voice for Sobey and only Sobey that sounded like a disappointed dad.

Foxwell is a better fit for what SEM need than Sobey is at the respective stages of their careers. Came up with some big plays last night.

Ayre has a bit of the Sobey unreliability about him - looks great when his shot is dropping, but Foxwell is a steadier player overall and offers more defensively.

Reply #950447 | Report this post

Like AngusH said. Ayre has the basketball IQ of Sobey. Foxwell is a far better option. Got some ticker as well and not just the fake tough guy bravado of Ayre or Sobey.

Reply #950448 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last month

That's the thing that astounds me with Sobey. Such poor basketball IQ. Strikes me as being an incredibly difficult bloke to play alongside.

Reply #950450 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:59 am, Wed 16 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754