TrevorTorrance
Yesterday

2nd Perth NBL Franchise

https://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/41339014/nbl-meets-wa-government-regarding-hoopsfest-expansion

So how much truth in a 2nd WA Team? Challeneg Stadium/HBF is a nice 2nd backup stadium it seems now- but who and where would the team be based?

Topic #52294 | Report this topic

KET  
Yesterday

Really it sounds more like a "eh not keen" from LK unless the Eagles or perhaps Freo dive in on a franchise.

Rivalry is great but LK is right it's hard to manufacture that, atleast south east Melbourne is a massive basketball spot in its own right.

Reply #950254 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Yesterday

I did hear Laurence Escalante name be thrown around as the owner but he was at the F1 this weekend and couldn't meet the board.

Reply #950255 | Report this post

AngusH  
Yesterday

Terrible idea IMO.

Reply #950257 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

Please don't.

Reply #950260 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Yesterday

HBF sucks. If they can't do RAC then they shouldn't bother.
i.e. they shouldn't bother

Reply #950277 | Report this post

KET  
Yesterday

You'd imagine GC plus a second Sydney side or Canberra or Darwin or Newcastle make up the next two expansion spots.

Reply #950278 | Report this post

LV  
Yesterday

I reckon they shouldn't even be thinking about "the next two".

They should be thinking 24, maybe 36 months ahead and ascertaining feasibility for 1 new club. If it happens, great. If not, no worries.

One new club every 5 years is a reasonable pace. But the priority should be keeping existing clubs in the league and building what we already have. Expansion for expansion's sake is counterproductive.

Reply #950279 | Report this post

Ben  
Yesterday

Second Perth team seems terrible.

Gold Coast back in 2-3 seasons, that's a given.

After that. Canberra? I don’t know if the membership/sponsorship/interest base is there though.

Likewise a possible Townsville re-entry, which would be even less likely it seems.

As a supporter of the league, I’m happy with the number of teams rn and don’t care too much for expansion talks.

Reply #950281 | Report this post

spEKTre  
Yesterday

It would fail within 3 seasons, Perth Wildcats took a fair bit to get going early on but has built a substantial fan base. To start out from scratch who are you going to recruit as fans ?

Reply #950282 | Report this post

Anon  
Yesterday

2nd team will happen within 10 years. There are 2 in the next 4 years.

Reply #950284 | Report this post

Splinky  
Yesterday

HBF is way better now than it was in Challenge era. Plus the viewing angles and closeness to the action is way better. I'd love to see a second team in Perth but I think the base would need to be Joondalup.

Reply #950286 | Report this post

Perthworld  
A few hours ago

I'd love to see a second team in Perth

For derby purposes sure - you and I and everyone else would love that but who exactly is going to support them? It's not feasible.

Reply #950290 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:00 pm, Tue 24 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754