Ben
Earlier this week

Sixers v Kings - Sun 22nd Sept - 2:30pm EST

Intriguing match to end the hoops festival in Perth.

Sydney have largely been tagged as champ faves. Fair enough.

Adelaide continue to be a massive shit show, exacerbated by the coach spray that got media run through the week.

A bunch of Kings I'm keen to watch here - Cooks, Space Cam, Adams, Keli. For the Sixers, really interested in catching Trez.

Kings by 13.

Topic #52293 | Report this topic

LV  
Earlier this week

The most interesting match of the round for most observers I'm sure (other than their own teams).

Kings easily is my tip. Just like the pre-season and their roster would suggest.

Reply #950171 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

It would be a very Sydney Kings thing to do to somehow lose this, I don't think they will though. Kings by 17

Reply #950174 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

I don't think Goorj is quite what he used to be.

But he won't need to be Scott Roth to lead the Kings to success this season. He just needs to manage the personalities and role expectations, and do a competent job of the X's and O's.

Reply #950175 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Kings got this, the question is how good the Sixers perform, a Honourable loss would be a good start as kings should not lose to many. An upset win would really set Sixers up for a good season.

Reply #950178 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this week

Everyone has been talking about Alex Toohey...
Keen to see how Kendric Davis responds to Well's very public outburst regarding his "back turning" to the ball in transition D,
but also how the 36ers handle the Kings game pace generally.
If the 36ers have to use much of their bench because the Kings are drawing fouls or just their game pace, then the 36ers are in big trouble.

Reply #950179 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this week

Sydney by 25

Reply #950180 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

That's something to watch for sure

Cooks is great at drawing fouls. New import bigs often struggle to adjust. If I'm Goorj, I'm calling plays for Cooks early to put Harrell under pressure.

Reply #950181 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

Kings by 20

Reply #950182 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

Show us the 36ers time out!

Reply #950189 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Was it 20 at the quarter, if so it's looking possible

Reply #950190 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

What incredible resilience by Adelaide

Reply #950191 | Report this post

MaxM  
Earlier this week

Wow what a crazy quarter. Jason Cadee absolutely hooping

Reply #950192 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this week

Goorjian takes his foot off the throat with his rotations and lets Adelaide back into the game, they took full advantage. No reason to sit Adams after 4 mins when the 36ers can't guard the ball-screen.

Reply #950193 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Incredible fight back, credit to Cadee for steading the ship, let Martin go, Harrell been magnificent doing the blue collar stuff. Can commentary stop calling Cooks MVP, Cotton is the mvp.

Reply #950194 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this week

Mayen hit two big threes in that first quarter, 8 pts in total, showed no nerves with Kings rolling and started to swing the momentum.

Reply #950195 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this week

Getting ugly again. 36ers not able to get any sort of consistent momentum going.

Reply #950196 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Yet again the Sixers look dead and buried, and start to come back

Reply #950197 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

I love this Harrell, he's my sort player, team first.

Reply #950198 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Earlier this week

So far, Sydney's starters much better than Adelaide's. The Sixers' bench much better than the Kings.

Reply #950199 | Report this post

bcat  
Earlier this week

Its a fun watch

Reply #950200 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this week

Too much lineup shuffling from the Kings. Agree with Copes, that's Gorj's biggest difficulty this year - getting guys burn.

Reply #950201 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

Davis struggling with attention from Kuol and L'Afa but otherwise some good signs for 36ers

Reply #950202 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Yep, Sixers bench been superb, which is surprising. Mayern has been good as well, Davis has five assists, done ok, need humphries to fire up. Harrell amazing.

Leafa minus 21, Kuol plus 24, a couple dumb fouls, Cooks, 5-5 free throws. Kings biggest problem will be keeping all players happy, I'm not certain how they stay under the cap.

Reply #950203 | Report this post

Andrew  
Earlier this week

I'm courtside at the game. Harrell getting frustrated at some of his team mates not being in the right position for some of the plays.

Reply #950204 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Sunday playing well, this coach doing a fine job. Refs slightly favouring kings

Reply #950206 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Earlier this week

Goorj is a legend.

But just like the WC/Olympics it's like he has no feel when to call timeouts to stop momentum.

Reply #950207 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Don't engage with the crowd, oh my, what stupidity

Reply #950208 | Report this post

Spinner  
Earlier this week

What the fuck! Tech foul for engaging with the crowd...….in a positive way?

Reply #950209 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Earlier this week

Agree.
That was so cringe.
Ref needs a reality check real quick.
How embarrassing

Reply #950210 | Report this post

Matt  
Earlier this week

It's so weird to see a coach make adjustments lol

Also Harrell is too good for this league, should win MVP easily

Reply #950211 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Huge 10 mins coming up. Dunno what would be a bigger story- Kings losing or Sixers winning

Reply #950212 | Report this post

Andrew  
Earlier this week

Been really impressed with Lat Mayden so far

Reply #950213 | Report this post

Baller  
Earlier this week

Leaupepe could end up being a liability for kings with the way he plays gives away bad fouls and takes poor shots!

Reply #950214 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Wait till Harrell gets match fit, has been out long term due to injury.

Reply #950215 | Report this post

Baller  
Earlier this week

Leaupepe could end up being a liability for kings with the way he plays gives away bad fouls and takes poor shots!

Reply #950216 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this week

Time for Oliver to step up here

Reply #950217 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Earlier this week

What on earth was that ref on about. Harrell was just pumping up the crowd. Embarrassing for the NBL refereeing department to say the least.

Humphries really struggling, wonder if the Kings front-courts is the hardest matchup for him in the league.

Reply #950218 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Mayen looking awesome

Reply #950219 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Come on Sixers

Reply #950220 | Report this post

NeonLeon  
Earlier this week

Refs admitted they made a mistake with the crowd engagement T

Either way this game goes i think the sixers will take a lot of positive from it.

Reply #950221 | Report this post

Matt  
Earlier this week

Another wasted year.

Just sell the team

Reply #950222 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

20 offensive boards to the Kings, that was the difference tonight

Reply #950223 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Earlier this week

Cooks is a monster on both ends. Still an embarrassment he wasn't on the Olympic team.

Reply #950224 | Report this post

Matt  
Earlier this week

Sixers way more talent, have the two best players on the court.

But nah still loss because like every Adelaide mens sports teams, Adelaide just have garbage professional sports teams.

Reply #950225 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this week

Very impressive games from Mayen and Harrell. Happy to escape with the sun, and that Gorj stuck with the closing lineup for a solid chunk of time.

Reply #950226 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Earlier this week

Giving up 20 'O' bds will always make it hard to win.
If Humphries saw the ball, that would've gone a long way to getting him going and would've probably got the win.

Reply #950227 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Sixers showing a lot kings just so deep. Toohey, Kuol, Cooks, Adams very good for the kings. Hopefully Sixers go on with it rest season, a reasonable loss, not many sides will push the kings. Harrell excellent, Marshall, Davis, Mayern, DJV, Dech and Cadee showing that they could be in play offs if they keep performing.

Reply #950228 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this week

Was impressed with the way toohey stood up at the end with some big plays.

Reply #950230 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Earlier this week

Sydney need to wrap up Noi, Maluach and one of Bruce or Leafa. Galloway deserves to play and right now is pissed. Can't play everyone Goorj and expect a happy team. Doesn't work, never has and never will.

Reply #950231 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this week

Great effort by Adelaide. Wells has them believing because they could have crumbled a few times.

Imagine swapping a fit Martin for one of the DNP locals. Make that happen if Trez will stay

Reply #950232 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

Mayen impressive

If 36ers really are the spending Kings per Bogut, they'll open the chequebook, pay the luxury tax and keep Harrell and Martin (assuming no NBA team comes calling).

Cos Harrell was better than advertised. Or, better than I expected

Reply #950233 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Earlier this week

Can't win if giving up so many offensive boards. Humphries does himself no favours, his finishing is horrible. Missing simple layups, has no left hand, out rebounded by smaller players. Davis is going to have to learn to deal with close attention. Stats have Kings putting up 44 3pt attempts. Is that right? Sixers had Kings under pump in 4th playing faster with lots of off ball movement creating open looks. Then took Humphries off for Harrell and went to a slow half court game.

Reply #950234 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

LV, don't pay too much attention to Bogut he knows the Kings are the biggest spenders. They just signed Cooks to the biggest contract in NBL history, eclipsing his own deal with the Kings lol

This 36ers roster would be on around 50-60% of that Kings roster they're just flat out loaded with stars.

Reply #950235 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

I agree Humphries doesn't help himself misses too much around the rim and seems to crack the sulks too often. His rebounding and shot blocking have gone out the window since that great start to the 20/21 season, I don't think we'll ever see that Humphries again.

Was good to see Harrell crash the boards, that was what I was most worried about that he wouldn't want to do the dirty work so that was good to see. Offensively a bit limited but if we get say 13 & 8 out of him until Martin comes back I would be happy with that.

Overall nice to see us come back from a couple of big deficits and make a bit of a game of it but hopefully not a regular occurrence. Davis will be much better for that game.

Reply #950236 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this week

Bogut saying the 36ers are big spenders seems to be his go-to insult to the 36ers. Not worth paying attention to.

Reply #950237 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

It's just lame from Bogut because as a part-owner of the Kings he knows how much more they're really spending outside of the cap. Cooks is on 1.2M a year but when marqueed only counts as what 150-200k against the cap, turn it up.

Reply #950239 | Report this post

Dorito  
Earlier this week

A team like Sydney love to produce salaries that show they're not the highest spending team but we all know that players in the big market cities get other financial incentives and opportunities which make it more attractive for players to go to these teams, just like the AFL.

Reply #950240 | Report this post

JMS  
Earlier this week

Very entertaining game. Great to see the 36'ers continuing to fight back despite a poor start.

36er's looked much better with Harrell at the 5, he's just too big and strong. Humphries if he starts slowly seems to find it hard to get into the game.

The depth for the Kings is almost embarrassing.

Reply #950242 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

To be fair to Cooks, he made 6 from 6 free throws and 1 from 2 threes, I'll admit he was very good but Harrell had his measure at times when they opposed each other.

Which other club could chase Harrell now when Martin comes back. Now that could bring some clubs right into calculation, united for certain.

Reply #950243 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this week

Kuol's +39 the highest for a Kings player since the stat has been kept (2017).

Reply #950244 | Report this post

JMS  
Earlier this week

36'ers would be crazy on that performance to not extend Harrell. In terms of suitors if he did leave there definitely would be many, not sure he's fit at United though as White plays that "uptempo aggressive PF" role. If they dropped Lee then potentially. United are missing a scoring SF import.

Interesting DJ's refusal to go to the bench - wonder how that would be taken by a Roth/Vickerman? It was probably the right decision as he'd just hit a three, however not a good look for the coach.

Reply #950245 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

And the corresponding -31 for L'Afa. Damn

Reply #950246 | Report this post

fan since the old snakepit  
Earlier this week

Not a great situation for Jalloway's future development at the Kings with their amount of talent and depth. Unless Pepe falls out of favour so that Toohey ends up being used at the 4 at times.

Was he obligated to return to the Kings? He would have slipped into a starters role at a few other teams.

Reply #950247 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

He was I think he still had a couple of years left on his contract with them when he signed with the Bucks. He's got a fresh 3 year deal now.

Reply #950248 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

It was interesting that Weston was sitting no where near GK.

Reply #950249 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this week

Harrell's been pretty open that he sees this as his path back to the NBA and I'm guessing the short term nature of the deal with Adelaide is what convinced him to come. He'll play 8 weeks, so NBA teams see he's fit, doesn't have knee issues and is a team player and head back to the US hoping to get a deal.

If he's willing to play for min chips for half a year there would definitely be contenders interested in him, especially since he's shown he can have a big impact off the bench.

Reply #950250 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Earlier this week

Adelaide were far better than I expected although it was a game where DJV and cadee played well which considering their inconsistency is likely to happen once or twice again this season

Reply #950251 | Report this post

orbit  
Yesterday

Humphries was terrible!! Otherwise a great game.

Reply #950258 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

Zodiac, they were sitting next to each other weren't they? The whole game.

Humphries just had a bad game, he'll be right. As many have noticed, gets too down on himself. Sometimes you're a victim of circumstances, so if Harrell and Martin are working well together, there might be times where Humphries spends more time on the bench. But, he was his usual self most of the pre-season, so can't be overly harsh after one bad game.

Tough initation for all coaches and players new to the league, but lots to like.

Harrell just gives us more rebounding toughness and we really need it.

If Adelaide do keep Trez longer, would most agree it has to be Rigoni who makes way despite the SA link? Starling at least offers some gritty defence and rebounding.

Reply #950259 | Report this post

AngusH  
Yesterday

I have to say Copes is growing on me as a commentator. Adds some good insight every now and again. His comments re: needing to get Humphries involved offensively early to get him in the game was absolutely spot on.

Also liked his response to Rucker re: asking not to be taken out of the game by Lindsay Gaze back in his playing days...

Reply #950265 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Yesterday

Master Chief, not what I saw I never saw Weston anywhere near him. Just would've thought an owner and GM would be sitting close to each other especially at an away game.

Reply #950268 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Yesterday

Weston was 2 or 3 seats away from GK

Reply #950269 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Yesterday

Looked more like 7-8 seats away to me. GK was sitting behind the coaches, as he does at home, the times I saw Weston he was sitting either at the other end of the bench or the row behind.

Quite possible he was moving around throughout the game and I happened to miss the times he was sitting near GK. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I had seen otherwise.

Reply #950270 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Yesterday

The Sixers can't let quality performance stop, they must go on with it a get wins against lesser sides than kings. I thought the coach did fine, I liked Davis performance as well.

Reply #950272 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

7 or 8? 2 or 3? I thought they were next to each other? lol

Reply #950273 | Report this post

JT  
A few hours ago

Logged on to hoops this morning hoping to find out how close Matt Weston and Grant Kelly were sitting to eachother.

Imagine my bitter disappointment that a precise answer wasn't available

Reply #950292 | Report this post

Master Chief  
A few hours ago

JT, I think the point was about speculation surrounding the relationship between the two, not the exact distance for no reason.

Reply #950294 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:03 pm, Tue 24 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754