Big Ads
Yesterday

Wells delivers profanity heavy tirade at 6ers training

Both 7 and 10 news have vision on insta of Wells absolutely going coco bananas at training. He delivered a spray of profanity at players, news cameras, and slams his coaching board on the court with his papers flying everywhere. He then puts the blame on the players for making him look like an idiot.

Oh boy and season has even started for the 36ers yet.

Topic #52286 | Report this topic

FB8  
A couple of hours ago

Nothing wrong with it. Not the first coach to do it, Wont be the last.

Reply #950003 | Report this post

EssenX  
A couple of hours ago

I don't see this is as a bad thing.

Reply #950004 | Report this post

Drexler  
A couple of hours ago

There are no safe spaces at training, next!

Reply #950005 | Report this post

AngusH  
A couple of hours ago

Agree with Gaze's comments before the game last night - no problem with it at all, but you only get a handful of those moments per season before the impact evaporates as a coach.

Reply #950008 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Within the hour

He has already wasted his "one time" and the season hasn't begun. What a n00b - the well is already nearly dry (pun intended).

I'm starting to doubt the assertion that it was NBL HQ/LK who inserted this guy.

Reply #950010 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Within the hour

In other words it smacks of desperation.

Reply #950011 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Within the hour

Advertiser reporting the first or main cause of displeasure was Kendrick Davis's transition defence.
Wells has a very legitimate gripe here.
Rucker as a commentator also called this out during the Blitz.
Sounding like a bad habit that a very good player has that is going to be hard to break.
It would have driven Scottty even more bonkers.

Reply #950012 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Within the hour

If there is truth to some kind of intervention in the ownership limbo, I still don't understand how you arrive at this conclusion?

Reply #950013 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Within the hour

Unless he's been told to be an enforcer and given carte blanche.

Reply #950014 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Today

Nothing wrong with it and going after an import rather than a local holds more weight and will hoprfully galvanise the group. Agree though a new coach doesn't have too many sprays like this in them so best to use one on the eve of the first game of the season.

Reply #950016 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Today

I am not a Wells fan
I don't think he yet understands the FIBA split line defensively
But as a coach I am in full sympathy on this one.
You are preparing for Jaylen Adams. Sure Sunday might get the assignment but JA will be hunting for Kendrick.
You cannot wait for the game until JA has 20/20 and Ice has fouled out helping out....
And then you bench Kendrick.
You need to put a massive rocket up Kendrick now.

Reply #950017 | Report this post

orbit  
Today

Be good for their 'turned a corner' documentary!

Reply #950018 | Report this post

Dorito  
Today

Agree nothing wrong with it, if it hurts now, they will be thankful later if it makes them batter players, ie Kendrick, biggest criticism I'd heard about him prior to coming here was his his D, if he can make big improvements on this, only gonna help the team and his stocks, wells said development was going to be a point of focus.

Reply #950019 | Report this post

LV  
Today

In this era players expect a different approach. Not sure he'll connect "well" with his team and get buy-in with temper tantrums.

Note the difference between a spray and a temper tanty. This was the latter.

The last 5 or 10 years, the dial has shifted and players expect a different style of relating to their coach. That old school authoritarian, yell and get angry, throw my clipboard on the ground, that old style doesn't connect with players in the 2020's.

Reply #950020 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Within the hour

"He has already wasted his "one time" and the season hasn't begun. What a n00b - the well is already nearly dry (pun intended)."

Best time to make a change is before it becomes a problem. Clearly he noticed some issues during the Blitz and is addressing them before the season starts. It's too late to do it if you're already 5 games in

Reply #950021 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Within the hour

Old school mentality saying this is a valid coaching tactic. Looks like a baby who's not getting his way, it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't respect my coach acting like this. If they have a problem with certain players in transition defence, can you not pul them aside separately and have that conversation instead of throwing you clipboard and paper around like a toddler.

Imagine doing this in any other work place as a manager. It's the same thing but for some reason is acceptable?

Reply #950022 | Report this post

RobT  
Today

Seems like we all agree that "things" have to be fixed and quickly. No argument. But the delivery of that message is the issue and that's real hard to justify!

Reply #950023 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 am, Fri 20 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754