word14
Earlier this week

NBL25 commentators

A few changes for this year, Abercrombie joins the commentary team and a new lineup on NBL overtime
https://nbl.com.au/news/champions-light-up-broadcast

Topic #52281 | Report this topic

LV  
Earlier this week

So Cam Luke out? Was he doing games last year or just Overtime?

And Liam Santamaria out from Overtime but still commentating

Reply #949882 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

I thought Von Hofe did a good job filling in for Cam Luke so glad to see he's replaced him now. I thought Cam Luke might not be back after getting that NFL hosting gig with Channel 7.

Reply #949883 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Here's a statement Cam made on his Insta

As the NBL nears a new season, my 6 years of hosting NBL Overtime has come to an end!

Like anyone who loses a job they love the feeling of disappointment is strong but also a strong sense of pride in what we achieved!

We as a team had a lot of fun mixed with laughter and serious discussion which led to the occasional argument but we had a blast every single Tuesday Night talking hoops!

We also had the ultimate tragedy in losing Corey.

I hope he is looking down, still agitated at me about the Yes or No Questions I would try and force him to answer but also with a huge amount of pride of what we achieved under his leadership of the show! I miss my friend!

@guyneville is the reason we had the show! He got sick of me pitching shows to him and when he relented he got to work and took my ideas to another level. His basketball intelligence combined with his knowledge of what worked meant he made the show exactly how it was meant to be! He talked into my ear for the first 4 seasons and never ever did I see him get frustrated even when I ignored him to argue with the boys more!! I believe the reason we see so many NBL shows in 2024 because of the vision he had all those years ago! Thank you mate!

Finally a shout to a great mate in @liam_santa. I wonder what those young kids playing against each other back in the day would say if they knew they would end up hosting a show on ESPN?
Man we had fun!! You always brought the brains to the show and I'm so lucky you did!! I’m not sure if there is a better basketball brain that I know and I’m glad the world gets to see how well you know the game with the Next Stars Program flourishing. I’m incredibly proud of what you’ve done so far and I can’t wait to see the next 5 years and where it takes you! Love ya brother!

To the fans who watched, reached out and said hello at games, Thank You!

I say it with sadness but pride for the last time!

'Hello everybody and welcome!

This right around Australia is NBL Overtime and you can get involved #NBLOvertime

Corey, what the hell are you wearing?...……’

Reply #949885 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this week

I like the Bec Allen inclusion a lot, she was good on ESPN for the WC coverage.

Why do the NBL keep not plugging the 10 Bold game alongside their main network game? It's bizarre, it’s like they are intentionally hiding it from all marketing and mentions.

Reply #949894 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this week

Another year of Damon Lowery and Anneli Maley. Blergh.

Reply #949895 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Yesterday

Regarding Overtime show: i think Felix did well, he's done a lot of work with Sportsbet and Racing.com over the winter and it shows. Hooley was good too, I generally enjoy his opinions. Copeland is.... getting better.
Lowry is super tough to watch and listen to for me.

Overall the 4 man panel worked well. I enjoyed it, wonder if they keep the same format with more analysis and no fluff during the season.

Reply #949909 | Report this post

word14  
Yesterday

Yeah I enjoyed last nights show, big improvement from Felix. I'm one of very few who absolutely loves Damon Lowery, I think he's hilarious.

Reply #949922 | Report this post

Ski 76  
Yesterday

Couldn't stand Cam Luke on overtime always asked annoying questions but seems like a great guy and hate to see someone losing a gig

Reply #949923 | Report this post

MaxM  
Yesterday

Hooley is great on Overtime, whereas on the live call he talks a bit too much.

Reply #949929 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Yesterday

Meh, it doesn't matter who because they're all NBL Media stooges.

Reply #949930 | Report this post

LV  
Yesterday

It is a bit hypey sometimes isn't it

Even Hooley, going on about the Kentucky Platoons from 2014

Like there's any paralell universe where Goorj gives equal minutes to Keli Leupepe and Shaun Bruce, with Cam Oliver and Jaylen Adams lol.

Reply #949931 | Report this post

KET  
A few hours ago

In the context of what we have been historically used to as NBL fans, Overtime is surprisingly good and constantly improving.

The unfortunate part is, whilst they have started going into that speculation territory of a Woj and Footy Classified, they haven't ventured into analytical breakdown that we see from a First Crack or On the Couch, nor have they ventured into the narratives of the game like AFL 360 is so good at. To an extent they have used the Huddle to create that engagement with players and coaches, but again, I think the approach of AFL 360 does it is far better. I’d rather their take on the current news items, officiating, their own success or issues at the time than a deep dive biopic of their lives.

Back to overtime, I sort of watch and then go "I really didn’t gain anything out of it" particularly nothing thought evoking or making me want to engage in conversation about any topics raised. Whilst you get that out of the AFL type shows.

AFL shows also focus on the KPIs and trends of players and teams really well. Things like the premiership window, the change in ranking for various attributes reflecting the momentum etc are really interesting aspects of sport.

I’d love to see something like that NBL end of round podcast mixed with the First Crack approach post-last game of the round of the Sunday.

Then I’d love to see that more AFL 360 type show over Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday perhaps being the headlines of the weekend, Tuesday being players night, Wednesday being coaches night and looking ahead to the round etc.

Reply #949934 | Report this post

LV  
A few hours ago

Definitely KET

Santamaria and some ex coaches would be a good place to start with that kind of deeper analysis

Reply #949935 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Thu 19 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754