LV
Earlier this week

NBL Round 1 - 5 games 19/9 - 22/9

The NBL season tips off on Thursday night with a Grand Final rematch between the JJ's and United

Might as well have 1 thread for each round this season? Half the games get no discussion, or minimal posts and it clogs up the main board

JJ's might be tired after 5 games in quick succession including Fri/Sat/Sun in Singapore. United will be hoping JJ's come out lacklustre, as they did in GF game 1 after 2 recent trips to Perth.

Illawarra should defeat Cairns sans Armstrong, Makoi and Adnam.

Bullets - will they have Bannan and McDaniel? Regardless I'd be tipping them over Gillespie-free Breakers

Perth in Perth is a great challenge for SEM who finished the Blitz with 2 strong wins. I'll tip Perth, but let's hope it's a classic like Perth's opener against the JJ's last year was. Can Windler follow Usher with 35 on debut?

Adelaide with the Kings first up, with Harrell aallegedly in uniform. Will Jaylen Adams be suiting up?

Topic #52278 | Report this topic

LV  
Earlier this week

I should've added, the inaugural Hoopsfest in Perth

Wonder what the crowds will be like?

What are ticket costs for non-Perth games?

Reply #949824 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this week

Makoi lucky to still have a job. Not sure if he didn't tell the NBL what else actually happened, or if the NBL didn't find out.

Reply #949828 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Great idea to use 1 thread for each round, hope it lasts

Reply #949829 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Yes I'm happy for one thread, good idea.

Reply #949832 | Report this post

mball  
Earlier this week

Good idea.

Ben, What else happened with Makoi?

Reply #949844 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

mball, he had a DUI

Reply #949850 | Report this post

Mystro  
Earlier this week

I agree LV, Bullets should get the win over NZ minus Gillespie.
I think NZ are a couple of rounds off putting it together although if Brisbane don't show up they could walk away with the L.

Reply #949851 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this week

It's not all he had. What exactly, is something Cairns or the NBL should be asking. It seems neither are aware from what's been reported.

Reply #949854 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this week

Adult tix were ~$35 inc fees (seated anywhere except courtside/box seats) which includes the womens game beforehand if applicable. Kids tix from ~$10, families around ~$60.

Thursday, Friday, Sunday games are at RAC Arena. For the Saturday double header at HBF Stadium (much smaller) $35 gets you into both games!

They have done a solid keeping prices low so if it isnt well attended they didn't advertise enough. I've spoken to quite a few people I know in the last couple weeks who follow the NBL to varying degrees who had no idea it was even on. I hope its a big success.

Reply #949858 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this week

It will be interesting to see how many are in attendance at Perth Arena for ADL-SYD on Sunday.

Reply #949859 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this week

RAC Arena not Perth Arena.

Still not sure how you attract a decent crowd to a non-double header NBL game without the home team (same applies to MEL-TAS on Thursday).

Reply #949860 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this week

Looking at the seating map Thursday has a fair few seats left, Sunday has heaps. There are platinum seats up higher that are all greyed out so I assume they are sold out rather than just closed off and not being used.

Reply #949861 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this week

Not platinum - nickel or aluminium or reconstituted pvc or something cheaper

Reply #949862 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Earlier this week

I don't know the story around Makoi other than what's been reported, but the Taipans will struggle even more if they lose him. He looked pretty solid in the Blitz.

Reply #949867 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

Cairns I only saw grabs here and there. But Makoi's numbers were terrible. Shot 3 from 20 and almost as many turnovers as assists.

Adnam looks past it, Edwards needs to be the scorer, Bradshaw isn't really a PG. So it's Armstrong or bust. If he has a break out year they should be competitive. If he gets injured again, or struggles to take a step forward, it might be an ugly year for them unfortunately

Reply #949868 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

With all 3 PGs missing hoopsfest the Taipans will have to get creative in their rotations. They do have Dufelmeier at least.

Reply #949869 | Report this post

WC95  
Earlier this week

Hoopfest Coverage:

I live in Perth and I generally keep an eye on all forms of media. There's been virtually nothing said about Hoopfest apart from when it got announced months ago. The government and various Perth event social pages have promoted it without going into much detail but the response from the public appears to be quite lukewarm as an observation.

Really not sure how full or empty RAC arena will be but would not be surprised if it's sparse.

Reply #949874 | Report this post

Hoot  
Earlier this week

I'm expecting RAC arena to have the top bowl curtained off, like they did for the NBL1 West Grandfinal. It makes 6-8k people make it seem "full".

I think a bigger deal should be made about how cheap the games are.

Only $40ish for an NBL game in Perth is very good value. Considering the average price of Wildcats tickets are closer to $80 these days.

Reply #949875 | Report this post

LV  
Earlier this week

Basketball has come a long way when we're talking about $40 being too cheap

Reply #949876 | Report this post

KL  
Earlier this week

A JJs injury crisis being reported on the NBL app with potential roster concerns stretching out for 6 to 8 weeks. Just speculating on my part that would be the timeframe for Macdonald's injury. Also possibly Sword who did not play in game 3 after going off in game 2 following a heavy head impact with the playing Court. So, potentially 2 guards down for Thursday. All the other key players including their superstars were on Court during the dying minutes of game 3 so presumably they are all going ok. Drmic did look completely spent after knocking down the winning 3. Hopefully nothing more there. I get the feeling from what Roth is reported to have said that maybe there is a 3rd key injury but no idea who that might be. Obviously rotations are significantly impacted if Sword and MacDonald are out for Thursday nights game. Maybe the JJs bring back Lachie Barker as an injury replacement player. At least he would be up to speed with all of their schemes and systems. Roth not very happy at all from the sounds of things and understandably so.

Reply #949878 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

Yeah that was a major concern reading that article, could be tough for them

Reply #949879 | Report this post

K4L  
Earlier this week

Why is ADL-SYD played in Perth?

Reply #949880 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this week

K4L all games are being played in Perth for this first round of the season, look up 'hoopsfest'

Reply #949881 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Earlier this week

Hoopfest Coverage:

I live in Perth and I generally keep an eye on all forms of media. There's been virtually nothing said about Hoopfest apart from when it got announced months ago.

I has been all over the evening TV news this week. Last night had a story in the regular part of the news in addition to a mention in the sport part.

Reply #949884 | Report this post

KL  
Earlier this week

Everyone trained today except for MacDonald according to the West Australian. MacDonald was in a moon boot and on crutches. Pictures on JJs socials shows Sword trained. Maybe just general fatigue and soreness across the roster and no surprises there.

Reply #949890 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this week

By now unhappy Cats fans should have learned that you can't win it every year. Hopefully the JR-OUT woe-is-me debbie downers have had a bit of therapy, built a bridge and got over it so they can all get behind JR and the team! Solid roster, dedicated coach, new owner, things are looking up. I will humbly eat this post if they get cheesed in the first few rounds.

Reply #949892 | Report this post

Drexler  
Earlier this week

wrong thread but close enough

Reply #949893 | Report this post

WC95  
Yesterday

I must have missed that Luuuc. I haven't seen much. Hoping it's a success. For me I think it needs a massive amount of publicity from everywhere. Lots of seats to fill, its a big event and I feel its a little lukewarm given how big this could be.

Reply #949911 | Report this post

KL  
Yesterday

JJs just announced Lachie Barker as an injury replacement player.

Reply #949914 | Report this post

KL  
Yesterday

Sword also out of tomorrow nights game with concussion.

Reply #949915 | Report this post

word14  
Yesterday

MacDonald out for up to 3 months, no good. Glad to see Lachie back though, always liked him

Reply #949917 | Report this post

word14  
Yesterday

Where has Sword been reported?

Reply #949918 | Report this post

KL  
Yesterday

Word14, in a club announcement to members.

Reply #949920 | Report this post

word14  
Yesterday

Cool, thanks

Reply #949921 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 am, Thu 19 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754