curtley
Last week

NBL Round 1 Timing

Does anyone know the logic behind the NBL season again starting in the middle of the pointy end of the AFL finals and the beginning of the NRL finals and why they don't wait til a bit later?

The NRL GF is on October 6 and it will be between either two NSW teams, two QLD teams, a NSW/QLD team or possibly include the Melbourne Storm. NZ may make a GF one day too. Likely not to include a QLD team this year.

Every year that leaves Tassie, Perth and Adelaide outside of this bubble of publicity so could they start the weekend of October 4/5 with these teams only?

If they really needed to start the NBL season around this time could they not wait a bit or is it some PR genius' idea why it starts at this time?

Does this start time and the eventual finish time appease the NBA/G-League somehow?

Topic #52272 | Report this topic

kennytmhk  
Last week

It's unavoidable to have a clash with NRL/AFL. It's either the start or the end of NBL season.

I guess NBL would like to push the season forward to avoid the NBL finals series clashing with the start of NRL season. However, it doesn't work due to Olympics, Summer League and summer holiday. Hence they starts the season in late September.

Reply #949597 | Report this post

Gold Vibes Only  
Last week

I honestly don't see the issue. Hoopsfest is in Perth - financially driven by the WA State Government, no football in that city during the period so target audience is available. A Throwdown on a Thursday night before a public holiday in that city - good marketing sense. Same week Friday night games in Illawarra and Perth - neither city has a football code remaining alive in respective seasons. AFL grand final Saturday games in Cairns and Tassie - neither city has a team and aside from slight overlap with the start of Cairns game those spectator markets are open - Taipans fans will still pack the place as will JackJumpers. NRL grand final Sunday afternoon games featuring United, Cairns, Tassie and Perth - Melbourne the only city with an NRL team, United game finished by 4.30pm which is well before the big dance.

It's not like they have scheduled a 2.30pm United vs Wildcats game at John Cain Arena on AFL grand final day or a 4.30pm Kings vs Hawks game at Qudos Bank Arena on NRL grand final day.

Reply #949599 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Here's a post I made about the Grand Final 6 months ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/51876-nbl-grand-final-series-2023E2809324/

"Game 1 clashes with the first full round of AFL, with 9 of the 10 Victorian teams playing in Victoria this weekend (although thankfully only one Sunday game, earlier at 1pm), Games 2 and 3 clash with Grand Prix weekend and Games 4 and 5 at Easter time. NBL should move the season forward."

Now, Easter won't be that early every year, but the main point is you're bound to clash with AFL/NRL somewhere. It's just a matter of when. Unless you shorten the season.

I think I'm OK with starting next week.

My team (St Kilda) didnt even qualify for finals, and there's only 3 AFL games left (when NBL starts) - two prelims and the GF. If you had to choose, clashing with the long-awaited round 1 at the other end is worse. Because everyone's been waiting 6 months to attend the footy again and lets be honest, its most people's number one sport.

Reply #949601 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

And yeah NRL is one week behind AFL but doesn't change the point that much.

Reply #949602 | Report this post

Gold Vibes Only  
Last week

Nailed it LV. A complete non-issue starting the season in the midst of footy finals when the vast majority of NBL games will be played in cities that won't host games for either footy code.

Reply #949611 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

Yeah we had this discussion last year and at first was sceptical and then felt like it was fine if not good timing to have the Throwdown on the Thursday night before the GF public holiday.

Reply #949618 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

A bit off topic but giants home finals game tonight is half empty. Over a season the kings probably got bigger crowds.

Reply #949771 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Yeah but Giants are only 12 years old.

Sydney Swans averaged about 40,000 a game at the SCG this year

Reply #949772 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Sydney is a notoriously tough nut to crack, half the NRL games are played in empty stadiums too.

Reply #949774 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

The giants had so much hope in Sydney, then they moved to inner west Sydney and then people realised they were just a Melbourne franchise, supporters then walked away. Most of there supporters are from football state's,living in Sydney, original locals gave it the flick after a couple seasons.

Reply #949784 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this week

"then people realised they were just a Melbourne franchise"

What do you mean?

Reply #949785 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Totally run by Melbourne puppets starting with Sheedy and then not handing over to chocko as was agreed. All senior management from vic. Slvagni got so many first round picks wrong and then took some to Carlton and they didn't improve. Imo chocko probably would’ve won them a premiership by now. Even yesterday the place wasn’t full and 1/3 crowd were Brisbane. When big interstate clubs play there it like home game to them as they have more support. It just seems soulless imo, not to many sides give up a 44 point lead on their home deck. The crowd would get you over the line imo. Again I don’t like the lions so maybe I have a slanted view due to losing but I don’t think so.

Reply #949786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Wed 18 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754