JMS
Last month

NBL All Star game

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. Talk at the Blitz regarding the return of the All Star game. I personally would prefer a Local v Import matchup. If that was the case, I'll start with the locals. Lineup seems short on for point guards and wings (maybe I'm missing someone!):

PG: Delly / Macdonald
SG: Sobey / DJ
SF: CG43 / Kuol
PF: Cooks / White / Pinder
C: Magnay / Froling

Topic #52271 | Report this topic

Ben  
Last month

Personally have no interest in an ASG. Players are not going to play hard and risk injury in a meaningless game, teams quietly won't want them to either. NBA 2.0. Meh.

Negatives outweigh the positives I reckon, but would love to be proven wrong.

Reply #949582 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

You're missing Ili (if you're including Kiwis in locals), who would go ahead of MacDonald. Probably Armstrong too

Centre position would be interesting as Humphries would be in the mix

I'd love to see this, even if they're playing at 75% intensity

Reply #949583 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'm with Ben, Goorj will still remember when Roland Robert’s dislocated his shoulder in the dunk contest, he was the only player that could keep Anstey in check, season lost there.

Reply #949585 | Report this post

RobT  
Last month

JMS, good choices. I'd have Harrison in the mix. Perhaps in Kuol's spot, he plays D, doesn't he? (and we can do without any of that in an ASG).

Reply #949587 | Report this post

Fairsy  
Last month

The most interesting thing about All Stars is who makes the team, the 3 point contest and Dunk Contest, the game is a yawn

Reply #949588 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I hate the idea. If I wanted to watch an exhibition I'd go to the globetrotters

Reply #949591 | Report this post

WC95  
Last month

Will be good if NBL commentators and experts stopped entertaining this old 90's idea every few years, it's boring. The NBA Allstar game is a farce and will continue to get worse. No point trying to replicate this with an NBL version that will be worse, and no one will give a hoot about.

NBL should focus less on novelty things like this until it's fully accepted as a mainstream sport on the same level as its summer rivals.

Lets just get through Hoopsfest first and see how that goes!

Reply #949604 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Imports:

PG: PJC / Walton Jr / Davis
SG: Cotton / Adams
SF: Doyle / Windler
PF: Harrell / Days
C: Oliver / Hurt

Feel like I must have forgotten a big? Quite thin up front

Reply #949605 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Lee, Gillespie, Groves, Martin, Doolittle worth consideration at the 4/5

Wieskamp put on a show last night, Early days for many of these guys

Do we include next stars? They are imports in the true sense

Reply #949607 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Cam Luke had the idea of one Next Star on each team.

Add Almansa and Toohey to those teams, it's a fun concept. I personally would love to see it but can understand the dissenters.

Reply #949608 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last month

Cam Luke had the idea of one Next Star on each team.

Add Almansa and Toohey to those teams, it's a fun concept. I personally would love to see it but can understand the dissenters.

Reply #949609 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

Won't be a this year thing by sounds but next year do-able.

My suggestion would be, assuming a FIBA window around Nov 20th-ish in 2025...

Move hoopsfest early/mid November (this will avoid September flight costs to Perth), have that played Thu-Sunday and then have the All-Star game on the Tuesday or Wednesday night OR have games Wed/Thu to Saturday and then have the All Star Game on the Sunday.

That way you’re riding the atmosphere of everyone being around and the festivities into the All Star Game. That will then lead into the overall FIBA window break. Perhaps even gives an opportunity for an Australia Boomers training session in Perth after that and prior to their games.

Have a 3 hour All Star event of:
1) Skills competition (like the NBA does) - this can feature Next Stars, Perth etc like how they do it
2) Three Point Competition
3) Australia/NZ vs the World All Star Game so that they’re actually going to play competitively for pride.

No dunk comp, no isolated All Star game, leverage the festivities of Hoops Fest and everyone being around the place.

Reply #949620 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

Ive never liked all star games and I like them even less now. It's a cringefest in the NBA and has been one in the NBL almost every time theyve done it.

Reply #949643 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Last month

Should only occur if its something that can be held during one of the FIBA breaks (doubtful). Otherwise its just another unnecessary break in the season, of which there are already two annoying ones.

Reply #949644 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last month

Imports vs Locals makes sense, but there is no incentive to win so a good chance its lame like the NBA.

Not sure it's actually a good idea, but didn't MLB used to have an all-star game where the winning conference secured homecourt advantage in the world series? Coming up with some sort of divide to split the NBL teams into two batches - (East Coast Australia vs the Rest maybe, Syd/Ill/Taip/Bris vs Utd/SEM/Per/NZB/Tas?) - it might make for an interesting experiment one year.

Reply #949657 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

I'm with Ben, Goorj will still remember when Roland Robert's dislocated his shoulder in the dunk contest, he was the only player that could keep Anstey in check, season lost there.

Anstey being booed by his own fans for chucking in the three point contest was awesome though.

Reply #949694 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Earlier this month

TBH would rather a midseason tournament like the NBA Cup with their group stages but make it part of the NBL regular season games so it doesn't make the season too long.

Reply #950706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754