word14
Last month

Armstrong out for 3 weeks

Via Taipans website: Cairns Taipans point guard Taran Armstrong has been ruled out for three weeks with a calf tear. Armstrong suffered a cramp in the fourth quarter of the team's first NBL Blitz match against Melbourne United and missed the following game with a suspected strain. Scans have since revealed a tear in his right calf.

He will not play for the remainder of the Blitz and will miss the first two games of the regular season, with his expected return-to-play date set for Thursday 4 October.

Armstrong joins Kyle Adnam on the sidelines who remains unlikely for the start of the season, while Jackson Makoi is also unavailable for game one at HoopsFest.

As such, the Taipans have signed point guard Tad Dufelmeier as a Nominated Injury Replacement Player. The Canberran is well known to Taipans fans after several stints in FNQ, most recently with the Marlins in the 2023 NBL1 North season.

Dufelmeier first landed in Cairns as a development player in 2019-2020, appearing in five NBL games. He returned the following year as a Nominated Injury Replacement, where he took full advantage of his opportunity and hit the floor 21 times, averaging 6.0 points, 2.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists across 15.6 minutes per game.

His success in orange earned him a contract with the Adelaide 36ers before returning to Cairns to sign with the Marlins. During his campaign he continued to improve, having his best NBL1 performance to date and was named in the All-NBL1 North Second Team; averaging 21.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists on the semi-finals bound squad.

Topic #52270 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Last month

Is Naar available, he would have been my choice, pass first guard, had a very successful nbl1.

Reply #949556 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Last month

Geeze, Tad would have to be in his 60's by now. Probably still likes a three.

I will see myself out.....

Reply #949557 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Last month

This could almost end Cairns season before it starts, particularly with Adnam and Makoi both out as well.

And I'm no expert, but three weeks for a calf tear sounds very optimistic.

Reply #949560 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Basically all 3 point guards gone, they'll now have a PG rotation of Dufelmeier and i suppose sliding down Edwards or Antonio to the 1.

Reply #949561 | Report this post

Damo 75  
Last month

Possibility Adnam back early. And I still think it's a bit stiff that the Taipans get penalised for Makoi's behavior at another club in another competition several months ago.

Reply #949565 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Bradshaw's been running some 1 in the Blitz but it's not ideal. Think Cairns really struggles without Armstrong

Reply #949570 | Report this post

Maybe  
Last month

Why is Naar not being picked up when everybody here say he is so great?

Reply #949574 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Sat 26 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754