Frisbee14
Last week

Harrell to Sixers

NBA veteran Montrezl Harrell has agreed to a deal with the Adelaide 36ers, sources told ESPN.

Harrell -- a 6'7 power forward and 2020 NBA Sixth Man of the Year -- will be an injury replacement for Jarell Martin, sources said. Martin is still recovering from a patellar tendon injury and isn't expected to be available until later in the year.

Harrell will be on a short-term deal, sources said, but there's potential for him to remain with the team even when Martin is healthy. The 36ers would need to deactivate a local player in order to accommodate that.

Topic #52269 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Last week

Almost perfect player to slot in both short and long term. Only 30! Will seriously give Adelaide a rebounding advantage. Well done!

Reply #949506 | Report this post

AngusH  
Last week

Also returning from a significant/long term injury isn't he? Interested to see what sort of shape he's in though, could be a coup if healthy however never can tell with NBA experience guys.

Reply #949507 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last week

Would be a massive inclusion

Reply #949508 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

That sounds alright better than going with Kubank or whatever full time. A lot smaller than Martin only 6'7" but he did average 18 & 7 one year with the Clippers.

He didn't play anywhere last season which is a bit of a concern but as a temp replacement for Martin probably couldn't do much better. At least the club were willing to spend.

Reply #949510 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

I am almost certain that if Harrell works out, they will look to keep him full time. Perfect man to fill that gap.

Reply #949511 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last week

Just great to see them being proactive

Reply #949512 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

No need to keep him F/T if Martin gets healthy. Plus Martin has a guaranteed contract Harrell won't as a first time import in the NBL.

Reply #949513 | Report this post

JT  
Last week

I owe you an apology, Matt Weston, I was not familiar with your game

Reply #949514 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

Last time I heard that name he was up for felony drug charges. Quick google seems he got that busted down to a misdemeanour.

I like the signing though, had a big impact 4-5 years ago in those Clippers teams playing minutes off the bench.

Reply #949515 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last week

Interesting to see if he comes off the bench to begin with which he's basically done his entire NBA career. Won't be much spacing with him and Humphries on at the same time.

He'd definitely be more effective as a 5 and if he's even 75% of what he can be he'd be the best big in the league.

Reply #949516 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

Zodiac, what do you mean no need to keep him? As if, we don't want to have too much front court depth, when we currently lack it?

Reply #949517 | Report this post

Screeningnick  
Last week

And just to add - the only thing that will stop Harrell in this league will be the worst refs in professional basketball and their obsession with touch fouls

Reply #949518 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

I remember this guy! Loved his energy.

He's not a 3 point shooter, so not sure about the fit alongside Humphries.

But if they can keep him when Martin returns, he could be that grunt guy off the bench- a superior version of Starling.

Reply #949519 | Report this post

MaxM  
Last week

Coming off an ACL, hasn't played any pro ball since August 2023

Reply #949520 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

NBL teams are not likely to get a player of this calibre if there was a reason for them to still be in the NBA. Unfortunately in this situation, an injury might be why he is gettable in the first place. Not sure. I am assuming he is ready to to because you're not going to replace and injured player with another injured player.

Reply #949522 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last week

Thanks for your service Kubank

Reply #949523 | Report this post

Ben  
Last week

Excellent get for the Sixers, I'm actually stunned they signed someone of this calibre.

Injury return aside, Trez should prove to be a formidable low post player.

As Master Chief said, if Trez plays well, I'd firmly expected Adelaide retains him.

Reply #949524 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/montrezl-harrell-nba-basketball

Interesting article he wrote in July this year.

Reply #949525 | Report this post

"I am assuming he is ready to go because you're not going to replace and injured player with another injured player."

Never forget that we are talking about Adelaide here.

Reply #949526 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

Maybe this being a short term thing, Harrell sees this as a good way to get back to the NBA? No one wants to give him a chance, so play in a visible league, show he can still hoop and get a mid-year deal with an NBA side once Martin is good to go.

Reply #949527 | Report this post

Eagle  
Last week

Do we know when he'll be in Aus/when he’ll play his first game for Adelaide?

Reply #949528 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

Let's hope he better than that guy SEM brought in last season as injury replacement, ex nba as well, everyone praised SEM at the time but he was horrible.

Reply #949530 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

Tyler Cook? He'd never been a credible NBA player and was mostly a G-League call up for teams. Not to say Harell is a guarantee to be good, but he's at least been an impactful NBA player for a good period of time.

Reply #949531 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Cook wasn't bad at all, absolutely ripped up the Blitz, but then got injured himself in their 3rd game.

Reply #949534 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

Dunkman, so one example of an NBA experienced player not working out is an argument against all NBA experienced players by that logic? Apologies if I have missed something though.

Reply #949536 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Put it this way- If Harrells as good as Cook (in the 5.5 games Cook played before getting injured- 3 Blitz, 2.5 regular season) 36ers fans will be rejoicing

I don't expect Harrell will be that good

A pass mark might be 10 points, 7 rebounds in 20 minutes, energetic low post and rebounding, and play solid enough defense that keeps Adelaide competitive and not getting torn up inside when Humphries is off, like a recent pre-season game

Reply #949537 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

No not Cook the three man, I think he in a round about way replaced moller when the other
guard left.
Cook was ok just couldn't play a lick D.

Reply #949540 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Master Chief,

I'm working on the assumption being an ex-NBA vet he probably isn't coming cheap and that we're signing him as a short term replacement until Martin gets back on the court. If we keep him after that cool but I wouldn't be betting on it for financial reasons.

Reply #949541 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Dunkman,

You mean Abdel Nader he hadn't played in 2 years, as opposed to 1 year for Harrell, and he was a swingman less effective if still not in shape unlike bigs that can get away with it a bit more. Like Big Sauce guy never looked in shape but was still effective at least in his first season.

Reply #949542 | Report this post

Cram  
Last week

Seems a good get. The guy is productive, which isnt always the same as being good, but should be able to provide good numbers without having to have a lot of plays run for him, which is perfect for what is ostensibly a replacement player. He's kind of that Kenneth Faried type of undersized bigs who just played with a lot of energy and hustle. Should be fun to watch.

Imagine he took a below market value short term deal with the hope of impressing someone to make it back to an NBA roster as a mid season replacement. Seems like it could end up being a win win for everyone.

Reply #949544 | Report this post

LV  
Last week

Abdel Nadar, ah yeah, he came into a pretty messy situation though. SEM's whole season was a mess after the halfway point.

Harrell would have to be cheap(ish) for 36ers to continue extending him, given they'll probably take a double hit (Harrell's salary plus tax due to DJ/Humphries full salary in the cap)

But if he's doing well, NBA teams might be looking at him later in their season, so for both fronts it does seem unlikely.

Reply #949546 | Report this post

Peter  
Last week

A positive is how quickly this has happened, a big step forward from JVG

Reply #949547 | Report this post

LaPark  
Last week

Michael Randall confirming Harell will be in town to suit up for the opening game.

Reply #949589 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

Zodiac, are you an accountant with the 36ers or something? I don't know or care what the financial cost would be, but I would fully expect them to accommodate Harrell if the situation was working mutually. They would then have to sort out how it work with Martin, as one would obviously come off bench. Premature discussion yes, but that's what we do here, lol. You said there would be no need for him as opposed to no space.

Reports on this signing have all made the point that Adelaide would want to keep him, plus it just makes sense anyway. Take things with a punch of salt a bit more. It sounded like Adelaide were always looking to upgrade where possible.

Reply #949590 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Have been told Martin has been injured by the trainer and his methods.

Reply #949594 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

He turned up well overweight, it easy now to blame the trainer. There is a reason other clubs walked away.

Reply #949595 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Not the first situation though

Reply #949596 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last week

Q Anon, how do you prove that's what has caused an injury objectively though?

Reply #949598 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Last week

Fair point. From what I've heard, and I heard this last season too, the trainer doesn't listen to the players feedback. Athletes know their bodies very well usually and can tell if something isnt right. If they are bing pushed to do certain things that they can feel is harming them, that should be taken on board and a new strategy implemented IMO.

Reply #949600 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last week

Now officially signed

Reply #949625 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last week

High energy low skilled big who can't shoot and isn’t a great defender. Loves to crash the boards.

Will be interesting to see how his athleticism is.

Reply #949636 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

Weston says Harrell is expected to arrive this weekend and will should play in Round 1 in Perth.

Reply #949658 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last week

will likely play/should play

Reply #949659 | Report this post

Eddie  
Last week

When Ninnis took over at the 36ers there was a disagreement over the methods used by the performance manager, Nic Popovic. His program was too focused on weights training and too intense. There was not enough fitness training and the players were fatigued, getting gassed in the final stages of games and losing. Ninnis and Kubank pushed back and the program was forced to change. Now that they're gone, there's rumours the program has reverted to intense weight training, and Martin was pushed too hard to lose weight, resulting in his current foot injury.

Reply #949703 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last week

Amazing, highly paid import turns up well overweight and not ready to play and trainer was bad for pushing him to get fit, silly trainer. I hope they got plenty of Louisiana chicken in town for his rehab.

Reply #949710 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Last week

"His program was too focused on weights training and too intense"
"reverted to intense weight training"
"There was not enough fitness training"

"Martin was pushed too hard to lose weight"

First you are saying the focus is on weights with no fitness training. Then you are implying he was pushed too hard with fitness training on Martin which caused the injury. which one is it champ?

Same performance manager that got Humphries through his most games in his career (28 games. He had played 29 games in the previous two seasons combined) and probably one of the reasons Humphries stayed here.
Same performance manager that got Starling through the entire season also.

Reply #949715 | Report this post

KET  
Last week

I agree that, I think, there were positive things in the media in terms of the trainer and getting Humphries to return.

However, I don't think you’re reflecting the chronology of Eddie’s post properly.

The post says they pushed Martin too hard with weight training having reverted back to that approach post-Ninnis.

"Same performance manager that..."
That’s all well and good as long as the training isn’t a “one size fits all” approach, because we know bodies are all going to be different and need different focus and regimes. G

Reply #949719 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this week

Trezz was supposed to arrive on Saturday around lunch time. I havent seen any interviews from him yet, which would have happened when he got off the plane.

Has anyone seen anything or know that he is actually in the country?

Reply #949822 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this week

I hope he has no immigration issues. Australian government loves denying people entry on menial issues and history.

Reply #949823 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this week

Talking about Australian government, I heard an interview with Cotton the other day, he said he's not counting his chickens (my words but to that affect) but thinks he’ll be naturalised in February.

Reply #949830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

Ten News just had an interview with Montrezl Harrell upon arrival at the airport I don't think I've ever seen an import arrive wearing that much bling!

Mr. T eat your heart out!

Reply #949849 | Report this post

Peter  
Earlier this week

He's definitely arrived and with a lot of bling!

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/NEfuHQhdtBCJZY6i/?mibextid=oFDknk

Not sure I'm keen on the first question being what's it like being the best ever import to be recruited to the NBL.

Nice way to mess with his head or set him up for a fall...... No pressure and hopefully he doesn't believe it and think it will just happen, otherwise he will be in for a shock. Hopefully he's too professional for that

Reply #949856 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

Al Harrington and Aaron Brooks would probably take umbrage with that question.

Reply #949857 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Earlier this week

Depends what we mean by best. He'd be up there. Got to remember that he was averaging close to 20ppg only a couple of years ago and is still only 30.

Reply #949870 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this week

I am no body language expert but that look away to the right is quite telling re his opinion of the question.

I like the fact that he came right out and said that he has not played for ... months because of an ACL so he is grateful for this opportunity
Or words to that affect.

Reply #949873 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this week

Not sure I really like seeing someone in their first practice with a new team barking at everyone like he's been here 10 years but I suppose he's passionate at least.

Reply #949886 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Earlier this week

I love he is barking instructions, he's been there done that with some of the best coaches and teams. Players can learn a lot if they listen to what he says.

Reply #949889 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

Where is the footage of him barking instructions?

Reply #949903 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Yesterday

Seven News last night.

Reply #949906 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Yesterday

Maybe he was just talking it up on D? Unless this is different footage to what Zodiac saw?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2658934897611483

Reply #949908 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Yesterday

I think he just seems eager and happy to be back playing somewhere.

I am sure Wells has a plan to embrace his wild side without it disrupting the team.

Reply #949912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 am, Thu 19 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754