Manders
Last month

Sandy age group

Report in the HeraldSun that Sandy registered a kid in the wrong age group and the team lost all their points and booted out of finals. Not sure how that happens. Perhaps clubs need to check birth certificates - the football club I am involved in does that as a matter of course for kids that are new to the club.

Topic #52259 | Report this topic

Bluey  
Last month

goodness me, that place is a mess

Reply #949161 | Report this post

LC  
Last month

Which age group, boys or girls?

Reply #949162 | Report this post

Hedge  
Last month

How the hell would this even happen?
Surely the parents would have known in the very least.

Reply #949163 | Report this post

hoopjunkie  
Last month

incident after another incident...

Reply #949164 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

U14 girls. Family allegedly a key sponsor at the club

Reply #949166 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Remains to be seen how much (if any) culpability the club deserves

I guess the only way to stop rogue actors is to request birth certs as mentioned above

Reply #949169 | Report this post

BigJase  
Last month

I have it on good authority that the girls mum registered her as one year younger than her actual birthdate. Not only in basketball, but in netball too.

@hoopjunkie and @bluey, the two recent and well publicized scandals are not the doing of the club, but moreover of two individuals. One of which will be categorically cleared of all and any wrongdoing following a police investigation.

Birth certificates are now required for ALL players registered at the club.

The club handled the other issue professionally upon learning of the complaint and was advised there was no case to answer.

What has been written in the Herald Sun and the Age is factually incorrect on many counts and has only added to besmirch a persons character that will be proven to be innocent of the accusations levelled at them.

Reply #949170 | Report this post

Bluey  
Last month

that's good to hear I guess BigJase. Strange to think that both the Age & the Herald Sun would print something of this nature if they can't back it up though. You would think their editors would be all over things like that.

Reply #949173 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Strange ? Media do nothing but write material that can't be backed up with facts. Guilty by media is the way it works. I hope Sandy ask for a full apology if proved innocent. Media watch on abc is worth watching to enlighten your knowledge.

Reply #949174 | Report this post

Mr. Cesp  
Last month

When I read this, I assumed it would be to gain some sort of a competitive advantage (either team or individual) and therefore likely be in a team at a high level, VC, VC reserve etc. But for it to be in a fourth team, why would anybody do that? What's to gain?

Reply #949175 | Report this post

Manders  
Last month

Yeah agree it's a bit odd, and a pity that clubs cannot trust parents to do the right thing / enter the right date because it just makes more work for people checking etc. Clubs don’t have endless resources. Assume all clubs will now start checking if they don’t already.

Reply #949176 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Rep is a lot more competitive than it was 20 years ago

Maybe faking the age made the difference between this girl getting selected for a rep team or not

Reply #949177 | Report this post

Hedge  
Last month

Our club checks birth certificates at their first tryout for the club
I assumed everyone did this?

Reply #949178 | Report this post

Massive  
Last month

Happened in my team as a kid. 2 mates wanted to play together. We (and they) were rubbish though!

Reply #949180 | Report this post

Esky 77  
Last month

The other complaint sounds pretty serious @BigJase. I would have thought a complaint that has ended up with Socit would require mandatory reporting to police straight up. Was it the BA Integrity department that advised there was no case to answer?
@Bluey not only the editors but also the legal departments. All very strange.

Reply #949183 | Report this post

Figure8  
Last month

Where there is smoke there's fire BigJase.
Surely big clubs do their due diligence when recruiting coaches rather than reputation alone. Keilor + Sabres +???
Associations need to do better. If so called CEO weren’t glorified court managers they would apply the same rigour as their counterparts in corporate world when recruiting.
Same for the board. They are ultimately liable here.
Interesting times ahead for these clubs and BV.
Might need to subscribe to the Herald Sun.

Reply #949191 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:03 pm, Sat 26 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754