Zodiac
Last month

Luke Travers signs with Cleveland Cavs

Congrats to Luke Travers signing a two-way deal with Cleveland, another Aussie in the NBA.

https://nbl.com.au/news/travers-to-sign-two-way-nba-deal

Topic #52248 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Last month

Best of luck to him, I just hope he doesn't get lost in the G-League.

Reply #948725 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

Good luck to him.

Last year the word out of his camp was that playing in the NBL rather than taking a 2-way was better for his development and that it was a mutual decision. I wonder what changed.

Reply #948727 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

He was very good last season, he is more a euro type player imo though, he's a team guy.

Reply #948731 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Last month

Congrats young fella. Wish him all the best. Has the size and all round skill set to be a boomer going forward.

Reply #948737 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Cram,

That may have been a bit of bluff from Travers side to get a better deal from the Cavs but clearly now he's willing to take a two-way deal. It was interesting that he was formally released by United beforehand which suggested the Cavs weren't willing to pay them buyout money for him.

Reply #948739 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

A lot of two way deals lead to nothing so I am not exactly over the moon about it. Most likely they just waste him in the G League and he ends up back in the NBL. Id prefer that didnt happen but seems most likely. I dont think Travers will stick in the NBA unless he becomes a knockdown shooter. Not to tear the guy down but we've seen this story numerous times now.

Reply #948806 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

His game will get him good money in Europe in a quality league, he's still young and without injuries will do very well.

Reply #948815 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Two-way deals stipulate that the player has to be called up to the NBA team at least twice during the season. They also give the guy a few games on an NBA court.

So barring some major injury Travers will play some NBA games this season and that right there is every basketball players dream fulfilled, to play in the NBA. What happens after that is immaterial. Will he stick in the NBA? Probably not. But once he gets ex-NBA player on his resume big money offers will come from Europe.

Worst case scenario he could always come back here and be a pretty good player on decent money but I suspect he will probably exhaust opportunities in higher paying leagues first.

The good thing if the Cavs cut him after the season? He will then be an NBA FA and able to neotiate with 30 NBA teams not the one NBA team he's had to negotiate with over the past couple of years.

Just remember Duop Reath was on a two-way deal with Portland and played so well they signed him to a 3 year extension.

Reply #948817 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Exactly Zodiac.

Reply #948819 | Report this post

Cram  
Last month

Lets hope his experience is closer to Reath than Jack White who seems a worse player after spending time in the G League

Reply #948828 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Jack White's a system guy. The G-League is a look at me, running up and down no defence BS league. System guy's would find it quite difficult to stand out in that environment but in saying that he did have some big games for the Nuggets G-League affiliate.

Certainly went backwards last season at South Bay but he got another call up to the NBA at the end of the season so was probably worth it but time to come home and start earning some money.

Reply #948832 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Jack White is not the same player he was prior to his horrible leg injury at the start of the year at South Bay.

Reply #948844 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

What happened to him at South Bay?

I remember him snapping his achilles or something at Melb United and he seemed to lose a fair amount of athleticism but didn't know he had another bad leg injury last season. That's terrible luck for him.

Reply #948890 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:52 pm, Tue 24 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754