BBALR
Last month

Lack of Facilities

There is some very good media this week highlighting the lack of facilities for our great game. The growth of the sport is far outweighing the growth in facilities.
Politics certainly has a big part in this, whereby numerous facilities get built in close proximity to buy votes in marginal seats, then areas like ours (Inner North-west of Melbourne) get left high and dry.
Council have been as useless as a hat full of assholes and our state members couldn't find shit in Werribee.
Have any of you had luck with Public Private Partnerships or circumventing morons to get what the community needs?

Topic #52246 | Report this topic

Grovermister  
Last month

hello from regional Victoria

we are a safe national seat and always will be so policies from a state perspective are always non-existent

in saying that we have had some great facilities built over the last 10 years or so

so cant complain... however every other Melbourne centric policy is non beneficial to me and my life... and the state government trying to convince us the big build will help me... no it wont

but i digress...

just keep petitioning your local member with the requirement of facilities and let the process take its long natural course... council is another option...

Reply #948695 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

Code sports have some great articles at the moment about Basketball, (behind a paywall, but pretty good value), in Australia just to meet current Basketball player needs we need over 900 more courts, and that doesn't included WA figures!

With average costs of a 4 court stadium now at about $30 million, that is $6.75 trillon dollars, (if my maths is correct) and that is with no increase in player numbers! OUCH!

Reply #948698 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I had been contemplating signing up to Code Sports just to read their recent articles on this issue

I have noticed this too- after recently doing some investigations into local junior clubs in my area (Melbourne).

I found out one of them is running half their trainings 15-20 minutes away (longer with peak-hour traffic). This is domestic not rep. I can only assume their aren't enough courts in local suburbs.

Reply #948699 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

Code sports have some great articles at the moment about Basketball, (behind a paywall, but pretty good value), in Australia just to meet current Basketball player needs we need over 900 more courts, and that doesn't included WA figures!

With average costs of a 4 court stadium now at about $30 million, that is $6.75 trillon dollars, (if my maths is correct) and that is with no increase in player numbers! OUCH!

Reply #948700 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

NSW is so far behind all states, there stadiums are antiquated but rugby league get good grounds torn down after 30 years and get rebuilt, you got have the right connections.

Reply #948707 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I'll add the afl had the show ground rebuilt at Homebush, it’s not western Sydney because the players, coaches, staff didn’t want to travel to Blacktown, the centre of western Sydney.

Reply #948709 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

Player numbers have almost tripled in the country since 2004. It's exploding and apparently we have a shortfall of 150K people who want counts but cant get on one. It's a bit of a quality problem to have but that 150K could have the Aussie Wembenyana in it so we need BA to lobby on this and for state governments to start taking it seriously.

Reply #948710 | Report this post

Easy As  
Last month

I recently spoke to someone in BNSW who said they have run the numbers and are somewhere around 300 courts short of being able to accommodate current interest levels.
That number is sheer craziness, but the money and space to even make a dent into that is absurd.

Reply #948711 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

Same in WA, many can't get their kids into the local association so have to travel further.

Reply #948712 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

That gym in Wangaratta looks better than most gyms in Sydney.

Reply #948772 | Report this post

+  
Last month

In the current climate infrastructure investment is wise by govt.

i.e. 10 people 5 work 5 unemployed - no infrastructure projects - 5 workers pay $100 tax = $500 tax gained - have to pay unemployment to 5 and no new stadiums.

10 people - WITH infrastructure projects - now 8 working 2 unemployed - 8 workers pay $100 tax = $800 tax gained - pay unemployment to 2 and a new stadium.

Project employs local people.

initial financial investment is recouped over time and new facility.

Just needs to have the weighting / support from public to have it built.

Reply #948775 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

I thought same Dunkman, both the Casey and Wangaratta stadiums looked alright

But maybe the priorities are out of whack, instead of a 1,500 seat grandstand (Casey) have a 500 seat grandstand with an extra court or two for the kids! (If it's indeed true kids are being turned away- whereas those grandstands are empty 99.99% of the time unless there's an NBL pre-season game or professional netball?)

Reply #948790 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Unless it's a temporary/retractable stand? Which I know some stadiums have

This is ultimately a problem of a rapidly growing population though. Melbourne estimated to have 8 million people by 2050 and basketball continues growing even relative to the population.

Reply #948791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 am, Tue 17 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754