Vikings

Gawler Gunners

Northern Rattlers

Hallet Cove / Southern Suns

Bridge Bullets

Riverland Raiders

Mt Lofty

feel free to add any history on how clubs came about -

i.e. Sturt Sabres = United Church > Sturt Pioneers > Sturt Sabres.

Just general history chat please.

Topic #52243 | Report this topic

Porzingis6  
Last month

Adelaides Latviešu Sports (ALS) merged with Venta to become Adelaides Sporta Klubs (ASK). ASK was later renamed Adelaide Basketball Club (ABC) which then became Southern Suns and Southern Tigers. The maroon in the Southern Tigers is a reference to the Latvian history of the club.

Reply #948643 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Last month

wasnt there a Budapest team that merged with Norwood?

certainly a lot of ethnic eastern European immigrants that founded basketball in the state (Botis autobiography does go into some depth about the history)

Plympton rebels was another team

central districts lions came about because the Gawler South Football club wanted something to do in the off season, the gawler south football team are called the lions hence the central districts lions moniker (my grand father and father were founding members, my old man designed the lions first logo) Barry mansfield... lauren mansfield's (PARIS 3x3 olympic fame) father was also a founding member i believe

Reply #948686 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Gawler Lions were the social club where the Mansfield brothers from North Adelaide Roosters played and the club was founded by an American teacher called Arden Herr. Great bloke.
The Lions merged with the Gazelles club from Salisbury SACRA to form the Central Districts Lions whose founding men's coach was Arden Herr. The women’s founding coach I think was Barry Mansfield.

Reply #948687 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Last month

I think you will find Modbury jazz and Northern Rattlers still rattling around....

https://www.facebook.com/TheNorthernRattlersBasketballClub/

They still play out of parafield rec but not as a district club in any sense

Old hoops post about NR
https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/1114-who-are-the-northern-rattlers/

Would love to see BSA grow the sport to a point where we are more competitive for div 1 spots... not the blanket 10 default teams making the grade. different thread though.

Reply #948691 | Report this post

benchballer  
Last month

Grote 12, while yes a different thread, think a good option is to stick with the 10 current district clubs and have all other clubs filter through to them (VIC model basically), otherwise we could spread the talent too thin, and end up like SA Cricket. Just needs a bit of structure, planning and open communication.

Reply #948697 | Report this post

+  
Last month

wasn't Southern Suns from Hallet Cove Baptist and Adelaide Giants ?

Woodville were from Cheltenham basketball club

Port Adelaide Telstars wore black and white stripes - played around St Clair

I believe Gawler Gunners merged with Centrals ?

Reply #948762 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Last month

Club History
In the beginning the Lions were known as the Gawler Lions Basketball Club. This club was formed in 1973 and played all of its games at the Salisbury Recreation and Sports Centre from September 1973. There were many teams from areas like Salisbury, Elizabeth, Gawler and the surrounding areas playing in this competition, so a number of the members decided to bring them all together under the one name.

The idea for the club came from Arden Herr, Gary Duncis and Ziggy Duncis.

The name 'Lions' came from the friendly association with the South Gawler Lions Football Club.

Reply #948788 | Report this post

Basketball man  
Last month

South Coast Cobras had a few teams 20 years ago, but don't know if anyone has any info on them

Reply #948793 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Last week

I know this conversation is dead but wanted to respond to benchballers
"we could spread the talent too thin"
Is a crazy statement to make.

Basketball is exploding every other state is introducing new clubs almost every year... except SA.

In SA alone we have so many non-district related basketball associations now
Fastbreak Academy
2 Hoops
GTM
Wings
Rodman
Green Light Academy

PLUS the development of "Skills centers"
Lab 46
Shoot HQ
Game Ready

There is probably some I am missing

And now clubs are so bloated most run their own mega domestic comps
South - the largest club interms of district teams now also have the largest domestic comp
Sturt - Thriving domestic comp
Southern - Large domestic comp
West - medium domestic comp
Norwood have ACBA in the area as well

I know this wont get responded too but basketball might be 3 -4 times bigger than it was 20 years ago.... yet we have had no club competition growth.

Reply #949603 | Report this post

Monix  
Last week

As an outsider looking in, I always was perplexed at the SA model. Seems so different to the rest of Australia. Seems like the same 10 clubs monopolizing the competition ?

I don't know Adelaide well enough, but surely your growth areas would spawn new clubs ?

Here in Vic, the Growth Corridor has developed some relatively strong clubs like Casey & Pakenham, as well as other clubs on the urban fringe popping up. Bacchus Marsh, Wallan etc

I know its not the topic...

Reply #949610 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Earlier this week

Monix, 100% its a solid Decopoly.

To think the growth of Adelaide from 2000 to now and we see the same number of clubs 24 years later.
population in yr 2000 1,122,000
population in yr 2023 1,446,380

Just a 29% increase in population but a 0% increase in clubs that can play division 1 basketball.
And now BSA has added player transfer rules that will restrict the growth of the sport and most likely lead to players leaving the sport due to these rules.

Reply #949816 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Earlier this week

In 2011 there was 223,393 people between the ages of 5 to 19 years of age.

In 2016 229,188.

In 2021 there is 241,070.

The census data isn't great for a quick like to like comparison earlier than that but it tells a similar story.

While there is a 23% jump in overall population we are looking at a less than 8% jump in the key demographics which drive club growth. Should a 8% jump in these demographics (with a birth rate that continues to fall and well below replacement level) warrant another club?

Reply #949820 | Report this post

Grote 12  
Earlier this week

https://www.abs.gov.au/census/find-census-data/quickstats/2021/4

This ABS census data indicated in 2021
AGE # of.
5-9 years 103,750
10-14 years 105,159
15-19 years 99,152

Which is 308,061

Reply #949826 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Earlier this week

I was quoting the Greater Adelaide region where as I think you've quoted all of SA.

I’ve just done the maths of the all of SA numbers and the picture is worse, only a 4.6% growth in the relevant age groups or about 14,000 kids.

Reply #949833 | Report this post

Reggie  
Earlier this week

How do the new transfer rules effect club growth or have kids leaving the sport. It only limits the movement of state kids really and even then a few are moving this year.

Reply #949846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 am, Thu 19 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754