Magpie Murray
Last month

Lamar Patterson

Boti Nagy suggesting he is 36ers bound.

How does he fit in, someone axed already?

Topic #52242 | Report this topic

JT  
Last month

You would expect that Rigoni or Griscti would be converting to a DP if this is the case? Cheap import to improve the roster...

Reply #948608 | Report this post

JT  
Last month

You would expect that Rigoni or Griscti would be converting to a DP if this is the case? Cheap import to improve the roster...

Reply #948609 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

What's his story? Did he marry an Aussie and settle here, content playing NBL1 instead of seeking overseas bball contracts?

Reply #948611 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

Or has he just dropped away from an NBL 1st teamer to an NBL bench player level in the space of 4-5 years at 33?

Reply #948612 | Report this post

JT  
Last month

Could just prefer the lifestyle? Many such cases

Reply #948613 | Report this post

Ben  
Last month

If true, Sixers gonna Sixer. I don't believe it though.

Lamer coming off a serious injury that kept him out of most of the NBL1 season.

Decent NBL1 player, but still nowhere close to the fitness levels that saw him capture All-NBL. If Adelaide were going to sign him to play 5-10 minutes sure, but why would you waste an import spot on that.

Reply #948614 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last month

Let's see if this scenario plays out

Local players offered and sign contracts (not DP or injury replacement contracts but player contracts),

-Scott Ninnis is sacked,

-Westbin with Barbieto come out saying this is the best team put together in a long time, must win

- a fwo weeks later club announces Patterson signing (but no mention of the local player who has been cut or forced into signing a lesser contract so the club can sign an import well past his best with minimal upside)

- Fan base who stuck around following Ninnis sacking claiming they follow the club to support the players don't care about the unfortunate local player cut/downgraded so long as Suxers win a championship. #win at any cost!

Nah, this club isn't for me anymore (yep I'm salty and sooky!)

Reply #948615 | Report this post

JT  
Last month

Because it might cost them 50k and give a worthwhile marginal upgrade over either the local 9th and 10th men. He's basically a local at that price. If 200-300k isn't available for a third import, I can see why they would do it.

Reply #948616 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

I don't mind if there's some bum deep on the bench who is going to provide less but not if its somewhat with a future or upside.

Reply #948617 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

A worthwhile marginal upgrade in what? His attitude sucks. He looks and plays like he doesn't want to be part of a team. His fitness is embarrassing so I can only imagine how bad his training ethic would be within the team environment.

The extra $50k would be the least of your problems!

Reply #948618 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

I think it's worth the gamble. No doubt we wouldn't be getting MVP level Patterson but he looks in good shape, better than he did with NZB or his second stint with the Bullets. Still young enough only just turned 33 too.

If he's coming cheap, which he would be, and goes ahead with citizenship we could get a few decent years out of him. Would be an upgrade on Rigoni for sure.

Reply #948619 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last month

Maybe Rigoni or Griscti haven't shown as much as expected preseason

Reply #948621 | Report this post

Bearcat Boy  
Last month

If they get rid of Rigoni, I'd be even more disappointed, to what I already am. How are the kids going to develop if opportunities keep being taken away. Coming from another club, trust me, this kid can play!

Reply #948623 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

It's pro ball it's brutal look what happened to Ninnis. A half fit Patterson, and he looks in great shape, is a huge upgrade on Rigoni who frankly really shouldn't have been on the roster anyway. He's an injury replacement type player like he was last season and would likely return to that role this season, assuming this signing goes ahead.

Reply #948624 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last month

Lack depth at the 3 spot so Patterson could be handy off the bench

Reply #948625 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last month

Reply #948626 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last month

Reply #948627 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

The pre season comments by DJV indicated that Ninnis was going to use Sunday as the fifth starter performing the POA defender role.
Maybe the new coach has a different game plan and is prioritising points over defense?
And when Joey Wright comes out on a Boti podcast and implies that LP has a fitness / team integration issue because of his possibly poor culture
You can maybe read into that why he is no longer in the NBL...
Or maybe the current 36ers hierarchy are looking at him because they heard Joey does not rate him… which would be petty…

Reply #948628 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Lmao, it might pay off but he'd have to be on absolute minimum.

Reply #948629 | Report this post

KET  
Last month

This is a biiiiiig ooft if 36ers do it.

Reply #948630 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Last month

I thought we cannot have a 3rd import.

We have 2 marquees DJV and IH.

We have 2 imports Davis and Martin.

The NBL article suggests Fatterson is not yet an Australian Citizen.

Reply #948631 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Last month

Rigoni is too old to be converted to a DP and I can't see them moving Griscti to the DP spot as he’s the only backup 5 they have and year 1 of a 3 year deal.

If Patterson comes in it’ll be at the expense of someone older than he is...

Reply #948632 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Good point Lovebroker, can anyone explain this.

Reply #948633 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Rigoni can just go back to being a NRP like he was last season.

There's been talk both DJV and IH would be marquees but nothing confirmed. Even if both are you can move one back onto the salary cap anytime like the Bullets did last season with Sobey's contract when they signed Prather.

Reply #948634 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Zodiac, how recently did you confirm this? He was in awful playing shape during the NBL1 from what I could see, lol.

Don't love it or hate it.

You'd imagine someone was told they'd be making way for a third import at some stage, but does make you wonder why they'd bother signing someone to the full roster.

Still only 33, and like a few have said, it's not like he's forgotten how to play.

Reply #948637 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last month

Correct Pasadena, and someone who is very popular with fans, especially young fans.

Weston won't stab one of his own (sturt) boys in the back.

Reply #948638 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Zodiac, I was looking at older footage, disregard.

Reply #948639 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

https://nbl.com.au/news/hools-is-hearing-mvp-candidate-set-for-nbl-return

Reply #948640 | Report this post

Magpie Murray  
Last month

It would be Starling I would think

Reply #948650 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

This would cost them a fair bit of money you'd think as it would mean either Vasiljevic or Humphries would no longer be a marquee. It wouldn't surprise me though, if one club is going to pick up one of the worst imports in recent times in terms of culture and work ethic just because he has some talent, it would be Adelaide!

Reply #948652 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

I've always felt a bit sorry for Patterson. He's obviously had problems keeping his weight under control and with someone who has a brother that is very overweight and all the issues including self-loathing that come with it I can sympathise.

Some will view it as unprofessionalism on his part, which to some degree it is, but do you really think Patterson has wanted his career to turn out like this? An NBL MVP level player, former NBA player resorting to plugging away in the QBL? It's pretty much the only league he plays in now too. Aside from the likely financial implications it has to be demoralising for him. At age 33 he doesn't have much time left.

I hope an NBL team does give him another chance, he looks in great shape and if coming cheap which he would be he could potentially make a serious impact off the bench for a team.

Reply #948653 | Report this post

Eagle  
Last month

I don't want him for the simple fact of we’ll have too many ball dominant players and with his history of being the man and attitude problems I can’t see him taking a lesser role well. Would have loved an import like windler from Perth who doesn’t command the ball (from the little I’ve read and watched of him) but helps with shooting and rebounding and athleticism. Don’t think Patterson will be worth the likely headache that will come with him.

Reply #948654 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Patterson was a superstar level player the last time he played in the NBL, now he's begging to be given a shot just to make a team. I highly doubt he's not going to try and fit in or delude himself enough to think he should be the man on the team. He would probably be happy with the pay and 5-10 mins a game.

Reply #948655 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

No thanks to a fat, unprofessional has-been. He looked like trash even in an NBL1 game I saw earlier in the season!

Especially so if he is replacing Starling who I think can be a valuable role player. Even if its replacing Rigoni, the team won't be able to marquee both Isaac and DJV so it’ll cost more than just his salary.

Final reason not to bring him in is he’d be taking minutes away from Lat Mayen, who is the only exciting Aussie the team brought in this offseason.

Reply #948656 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Last month

I think Jarrell Martin is injured still haven't seen him on the socials hence Pete Hooley mentioned injury replacment

Reply #948657 | Report this post

Mathew  
Last month

LP finished up playing in the TBT averaging 7ppg in 12mpg and played quite well, off the bench roll is something that might work well with him and the Sixers.

He can play the 3 and if humphries and or jarrell Martin get early fouls he could slide in the 4 as a stretch 4 and hold the fort for 10 minutes.

Reply #948658 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Although I haven't technically seem on the court I've seen him sweaty in full training gear standing on the sidelines so think it might be more precautionary.

Not sure how I would feel about it if Lamar's signing was as a temp replacement for Martin. It doesn't make sense a SG/SF replacing a PF/C. At 6'5" he's a lot shorter than Martin at 6'10".

Reply #948659 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last month

Talk about grasping at straws. Weston signed Griscti and Rigoni. Ninnis signed Starling. Join the dots.
Question is, whoever it is, will they try and screw them over on paying out the contract? Recent history says......

Reply #948660 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last month

Talk about grasping at straws. Weston signed Griscti and Rigoni. Ninnis signed Starling. Join the dots.
Question is, whoever it is, will they try and screw them over on paying out the contract? Recent history says......

Reply #948661 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last month

Reply #948663 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

This doesn't make sense of the 36ers having two marquee level Aussie contracts.

If they bring him in as injury replacement for Martin, I'd be pretty pessimistic about the start of their season.

Reply #948666 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Last month

Problem is he wasn't an all around player when he was a star from memory, he was an elite scorer. If he could fill that microwave role off the bench then it could work. But scorers who lose their mobility with weight issues aren't reliable. And just following what's been said it doesn't sound like he's gotten into half decent shape. But if he's cheap, buys in that he'll be a role player and not make waves it could be interesting. Rigoni might me local, but he's really just a garbage time player and someone for the fans to cheer if he gets a shot up. Patterson has proven he can score, and if offence is stagnant could be an option. Would have been good to see him play locally in offseason to get a better look. Or if he could have played in that Tassie trip. I wonder if he shopped himself to any other clubs because Adelaide would be the absolute only option.
But the Sixers really need their own Netflix show. With all that's happened, now this rumour. What's next I wonder because this stuff they've been coming up with is so random it's genius.

Reply #948667 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Patterson wasn't just a good scorer.

2018-19 - 17.8p @ 44% (35% 3p), 6.3r, 3.8a, 1.3s

2019-20 - 21.4p @ 46% (34% 3p), 6.0r, 4.6a, 1.1s

2020-21 - 14.2p @ 41% (35% 3p), 4.8r, 2.9a, 1.5s

2021-22 - 16.1p @ 43% (26% 3p), 4.3r, 4.1a, 1.0s

Reply #948670 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

In Hooley's article he said Patterson just averaged around 20-5-5 for the Pirates in the NBL1 North and looks the fittest I've seen him in that pic.

https://nbl.com.au/news/hools-is-hearing-mvp-candidate-set-for-nbl-return

Reply #948671 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

He's hardly a replacement for Martin, who’s he going to guard at the four spot, none of it makes any sense at all, probably true then as it’s the Sixers.

Reply #948674 | Report this post

Massive  
Last month

Shouldn't touch him if his legs are not there. At least young local talent has energy and will run hard. I’d take that all day over an import who is slowing down.

Reply #948676 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last month

If this happens the KFC outlets of Adelaide will rejoice.

Reply #948677 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

It depends on the context when deciding how to judge this move (if it is true).

If it is Patterson vs Starling/Rigoni/no third import, you'd have to say that even a lesser Patterson than previous offers something more.

If it is Patterson vs another third import later in the season that could address and impending team need, then I feel like Adelaide have just signed an import for the sake of an import.

No one really knows the financial aspects, if it is motivated by potential citizinship, and Adelaide are getting in before anyone else, or they genuinly think they've strucked value. It is really hard to say.

If forced to choose, i'd still prefer to chase an import later, and use the wait and see approach.

There has been concerns over attitude in the past, but was a seriously good all round player only very recently, still under 35, and offers experience to the bench.

Reply #948679 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Could he be an injury replacement for Martin till he's ready, that might not affect the marquee rules ? Still don’t believe he’s the right choice, Sixers need a player that can cover 3-4-5 spot that can get in the trenches, play D and rebound. He’s not it.

Reply #948680 | Report this post

LV  
Last month

In terms of fit, United could use what Patterson provides- additional scoring and offensive creativity, and plays 3. Would be an upgrade on Newley.

But I assume United won't look at him, for the same reason it doesn't make sense for Adelaide- it would force them to shift a high value Aussie salary fully into the salary cap by foregoing a marquee slot.

Reply #948682 | Report this post

Mystro  
Last month

If the trench is full of cheeseburgers he's your man Dunkman.
The shape he turned up to play for the Breakers was beyond a joke.

Reply #948684 | Report this post

word14  
Last month

Mystro, 'If the trench is full of cheeseburgers he's your man' gave me a good laugh, thanks!

Reply #948685 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

I'm still amazed how many comments are weighing up his scoring ability versus other options when what matters more is how he will detract from the team culture and work ethic.

That's why any decent coach wouldn't let him near their roster

What I'm amazed by is no one picked up Anthony Lamb who is recovered and just signed in Italy. I'd pay five times for him what LP would accept

Reply #948688 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Kolzee, you maye well be right, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but he did have two seperate stints with Brisbane didn't he? Was it under Lemanis too? Guys who are completely toxic usually do not last long and won't find a new club in the same league, but he has managed to re-sign with Brisbane twice I think. Just makes you wonder how accurate or bias the accounts are if he's come back and forth between a club and also played for NZ.

Reply #948690 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Last month

Yeah, that's a fair call.

My account is based on what I heard and saw when he was at the breakers especially.

I actual want the sixers to sign him to see what happens!

Reply #948701 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

He wasn't toxic NZB were pissed at him because he turned up quite overweight and then asked to be released from his contract 6 games into the season and the day after they released him he re-signed with the Bullets to a 2 year deal.

Reply #948703 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Last month

If they have the money to sign a minimum salaried import available given the tax/cap implications not sure much better than Patterson.

Withers in the country right now too would he be better than Patterson?

Patterson could be a decent sixth man type import with the potential to naturalise.

Davis/Cadee
Vasiljevic/Patterson
Dech/Marshall/Rigoni
Martin/Mayen
Humphries/Griscti

Reply #948704 | Report this post

Observer  
Last month

I don't think Martin is 100% yet ,so I am putting a few ideas across.
I think Patterson is injury replacement guy until Martin has fully recovered.
They would put young ones as DP yet.
Sixers are not using a third import.he’s probably just a handy bench player until Martin returns.

Reply #948713 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Zodiac, turning up to your new club overweight then leaving after 6 games for a rival club? That sounds like a player to steer clear of to me!

Observer that actually makes a bit more sense, if he's an injury replacement for Martin. Not a good sign for the season though. Reality is Patterson is not going to defend anyone, so he won’t stay on the floor very long.

Sixers are putting themselves in a big hole again if they’re starting the season with effectively one import! Davis is going to have to be exceptional along with DJ and Isaac and Starling and Mayen will have to step up.

Reply #948717 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Most teams will be impacted by one of their stars being injured for a month or more, but they generally have the depth to remain competitive.

In Sixers' case, though, I cannot see them being anything other than wooden spoon if any of their stars goes down, no matter how good the imports are. Talk about skating on thin ice ...

Reply #948718 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Observer, but there is still close to 1 month to go before the season starts.

You wouldn't be desperate to bring in a non-like for like player if it was only for a game or two.

If it was for a month into the season, plus the remaining month until it starts, then you really have to question why Adelaide signed an import in that situation, Jarell Martin or not.

Reply #948719 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

I think he'd just be an opportunist type signing. Mayhe Wells has identified they don't have the depth or balance right.

I wonder if Patterson could basically be a point forward type off the bench, 6th man role.

Reply #948720 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

That's what I'm concerned about if we're signing Patterson as an injury replacement for Martin. It's still 3 weeks until the season starts so if we're looking to sign a temp import that far out it suggests that Martin will likely miss more than the first couple of games of the season.

Reply #948723 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Plus the way Boti tweeted it suggested it would be for Starling. You'd think Boti would know/include that Martin is no good. No need to cut Starling if injury replacement.

Reply #948728 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

You learn very quickly the old Boti is regularly full of horse manure

Reply #948729 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Boti's general mail is crap, NZB didn't fold and move to the GC at the end of last season, but his 36ers mail is closer to the mark.

I could see how it could be Starling that gets cut as he was a known Ninnis guy who was re-signed before Weston became GM. Starling's 35 and didn't show much last season averaging 4 and 4. Poor shooter and really struggled at times from the FT line. I liked his energy and hustle but that's really all he can provide at this level.

Reply #948738 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Not uncommon for a coach to have a chosen vet at the end of the bench who is their guy
Steadying locker room presence whatever
Spoelstra had Haslem
Kerr had Iguodala
Giorg had Ingles
Vickermann had Newley...

Starling is Scotty's guy
I am actually in shock that he is still there

Reply #948742 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

He's probably still there because he has a guaranteed contract for this season.

Reply #948746 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

I disagree about Starling's worth. He has great fast hands, tenacity and defensive mobility, which makes him a good rebounder for his size and a guy who will force turnovers and change momentum in a game. He will be very useful in games where Isaac is struggling to cover pick and pop action on the perimeter (see Tassie and Hawks demolition of us last season).

I’ll be pretty disappointed if they dump him for Patterson, who will only give up twice as many points defensively as he scores. If they absolutely have to sign him then convert Rigoni, who really is a long shot to be an NBL player frankly.

Personally I think management has destabilised the team enough this preseason though. I think they should roll with who they’ve got and sign an actual difference making third import later if they think it is needed, rather than another bargain bin special.

Reply #948750 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Last month

Beantown, agree with that. Which is why Rigoni should make way.

What position does Rigoni even play? What does he bring?

Not trying to be harsh, just genuinly have not noticed him.

Reply #948752 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Rigoni's 6'6" plays as a PF in the state league but wouldn't be able to play that at NBL level slow and unathletic. He's got no business being on an NBL roster, IMO. I would much rather him cut than Starling who at least offers something but it sounds like Starling is the one in the firing line.

Reply #948753 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last month

Yeah, exactly right Zodiac. Rigoni is a good shooter, but I just can't see what position he can defend at NBL level. I don’t think the Sixers should cut anyone for Patterson, but if they have to, Rigoni has to be the one. If they dump Starling for Patterson, I’ll just have to assume we have another GM who doesn’t understand basketball.

Reply #948808 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Unfortunately guys at the end of benches are usually there as a favour or because they're a mate of this person or whatever. I suspect Rigoni is only there because he's from Adelaide and that might make the team more attractive to a potential buyer. For a while we only had one Adelaide lad Marshall, this off-season we added two more Rigoni and Griscti.

Plus Starling being a Ninnis guy probably means Weston is watching him hard looking for all the flaws as an excuse to replace him. Patterson would be a big upgrade on Starling but I do prefer it's Rigoni if need be.

Reply #948812 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Last month

Is Weston still associated with the Sturt Sabres?
( ie the same club as Griscti and Rigoni )

Reply #948820 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last month

Yes, he got the job as Sabres GM first before then getting the Sixers GM job.

Reply #948825 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Last month

"He's probably still there because he has a guaranteed contract for this season."

Ummmmm, yeah that would be it.

Perhaps at another club or in every other workplace but this is Barbato and Weston's 36ers, and they don't give a rats about contracts or paying them apparently (unless you are one of their guys).

Reply #948840 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two weeks ago

Sixers not signing him after all, according to Olgun.

Reply #949086 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two weeks ago

So once again Boti full of manure. Wow what a shock

Reply #949092 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two weeks ago

Not really, he trained with the Sixers last week and they decided not to sign him.

Reply #949093 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Two weeks ago

Just because the signing didn't eventuate, doesn't mean he was full of it. Olgun said he was training with them.

Reply #949094 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two weeks ago

Damn, I was looking forward to watching that fiasco from afar!

Reply #949111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:13 am, Sun 15 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754