orbit
Two months ago

baynes retires?

Is this true or will we see him get snapped up by another club?

Topic #52235 | Report this topic

Ben  
Two months ago

He's done.

And no other club is picking him up, they’ve seen the circus he created in Brisbane.

Reply #948448 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

I was surpsied when I looked at his stats, it seems he was contributing more still in those two NBL seasons than I initall thought. Yet still, didn't really pass the eye test, DEFINITELY massively overpaid. Estimates are at 850K a season in some places. Absolutely no way he warrants a cheque of even 10 percent of that now. He could have some use in a Jawai type role, playing spot minutes and just being physically big butt I think he comes with too much baggage and mental health issues to take on for anyone in the league. They've not called it retirement but I am pretty sure that is what it will be. A little bit of a shame in a way. He was one of our best ever big men in his prime and someone of his size and ability - near prime of course - would've continued to be of help to the Boomers over the last 2 campaigns. But for those who know exactly why he was injured at Tokyo, they'll also know he's too volatile for that. But a peak Baynes and Bogut combo is about as good a frontline as the Boomers have ever had and he'll always get a nod of respect for me for pulling on the green and gold and battling for us.

Reply #948450 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

So much speculation about Tokyo yet I've never heard anyone spell out exactly what they think happened.

Seems like something that will forever be shrouded in mystery

Regardless, the big Banga is an Aussie basketball luminary for his exploits for Boomers and in the NBA

Reply #948451 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two months ago

So what do you think / or have you heard actually happened ME?

Reply #948453 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Yeah it's a shame. Was great in the NBA a respectable 9 seasons. Awesome for the Boomers and an integral member of the group that eventually marched towards bronze.

Come NBL, he was a mess mentally and was a shadow of what I (and everyone else?) thought he would be. This not helped by the Bullets equally being a shit show.

As for Tokyo, I'd always suspected he let loose mentally in the locked room and did himself a harm of his own volition. Maybe something like a headbutt then falling heavily on the ground, but to be clear that's my own speculation only.

Reply #948460 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two months ago

My thoughts too - he banged his head against a wall so hard he damaged his neck, or fell to the ground where he damaged it.

(From what little I know, of course)

Reply #948466 | Report this post

Hedge  
Two months ago

@Me Jesus really????

I was always thought it was legit accident. That's bloody sad if that’s the case. Hope he’s in a better state of mind now.
If it’s true, makes the boomers run at the games even more remarkable with something like that happening behind the scenes.

Reply #948489 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

Come on.

Baynes is known for getting so pumped up his emotions get the better of him, in a Boomers camp he got worked up over a call he stormed off to the locker room for about 15 mins to cool down. Then we saw that game against Cairns last season, the incident with Mayen and the terrible footage of him shoving their coach in the locker area.

The rumour re: Tokyo was Baynes got so worked up during the Italy game he went back and head butted a wall in the locker room and knocked himself silly. He even said something about coming to and him busting to take a leak.

Reply #948492 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Anyway whatever, great servant of the game and a really very, very good career. Good luck to him in all his future endeavours and his family.

Reply #948500 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

Zodiac, I happen to know it for a fact.

Reply #948504 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

A good time for that old adage. "Don't believe everything you read on the internet"

Reply #948505 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two months ago

Wow, I didn't expect that ME.

If thats truth, he wasn’t in a good place

Reply #948506 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

It's really no one’s business, let him get on with his and his family’s life.

Reply #948508 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Explains the very odd injury. Still shocked if true though, damn.

Reply #948511 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754