Zodiac
Last month

Hugh Greenwood retires

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1202536/north-melbourne-kangaroos-veteran-hugh-greenwood-retires-after-unique-career-at-three-clubs

Played 121 games of AFL footy at 3 different clubs over an 8 year period.

Probably a question of what could've been for Hugh in basketball? Played college ball at New Mexico and then signed with the Perth Wildcats in 2015 only to quit a few weeks into pre-season and then signed with the Crows in the AFL.

Topic #52232 | Report this topic

Cram  
Last month

Its an interesting one.

8 years on an AFL list, with a few of those being in that team's best 22, he would have made some money. And arguably better money than a similar period in NBL. But given he was on trajectory to be a higher level player in basketball than AFL, he would likely still be playing for another couple of years at least in the NBL and could have made some decent money OS as well.

Reply #948427 | Report this post

Baller  
Last month

Hugh did a interview on SEN Tasmanian radio a couple weeks ago said he was keen to give basketball one last crack once football finished talked about playing nbl1 and seeing what came of it how old is he could be a option for nbl clubs as injury replacement during the season

Reply #948428 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Last month

He's 32 years old, so it's a little hard to see him transitioning to high level basketball and sticking for long enough for an NBL team to see an investment there. How long could he have in the NBL if he did find his way to top form, 3-4 years? He'd have to show and prove in NBL1 for a season before a team would take a punt on him.

It's hard to believe he's already retiring from the AFL. I remember when he was fresh out of college and it felt like he turned his back on hoops. I was probably more personally offended than I should have been lol. I think the rationale was he didn't think he'd make the NBA or an Olympic team so figured he'd give it a miss. Had he held out I think he could've possibly done both at some point.

Reply #948449 | Report this post

Bullets  
Last month

If Greenwood is in shape, he'd be worth a look.
Surely would be able to contribute at NBL1 level.

What about Tom Wilson... he’s another AFL convert that’s come back to hoops albeit younger.
See he averaged close to 20ppg in NBL1 this year.
Is he a chance of getting picked up somewhere?

Reply #948452 | Report this post

Scout  
Last month

Rumours he is going to have a run with the Hobart Chargers

Reply #948496 | Report this post

pitergreyyy23  
Yesterday

If Greenwood's in good shape, he could definitely make an impact at the NBL1 level with his experience and versatility. As for Tom Wilson, averaging close to 20 points per game in NBL1 is impressive. Given his age and the fact he's already shown he can perform after switching back from AFL, I'd say he’s got a solid chance of getting picked up by a team. His skills and athleticism should make him an attractive option for clubs looking to add some scoring punch.

Reply #949900 | Report this post

word14  
Yesterday

He's also rejoined the Suns as a development coach, but that probably wouldn’t stop him from playing a few NBL1 games

Reply #949901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:08 pm, Thu 19 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754