ME
Two months ago

How to improve fitness/conditioning after 2 years off Bball?

So I am flirting with the idea of playing basketball again. The last time I was in a team was early 2023, and I still had fairly decent fitness and agility for it when I left. I am now turning 38 years old and want to give the game one last go before I completely age out of social basketball. I went for a light shoot around and it felt like I was running in mud. I could still hit some shots and make some moves, but the jogging was super light, and the moves were with fairly reasonably gaps between. I've concentrated on weight lifting in those years and cardio has very much been an afterthought.

So my question is what steps should I take to return? Is there a progression that others have seen who have done similar and is this 'running in mud' feeling on my return pretty normal?

I did a 30 minute shoot around today and I imagine it will be a whole'nother beast in a live game with proper intensity.

Any thoughts or insights would be helpful.

Topic #52191 | Report this topic

McBlurter  
Two months ago

Skipping rope

7 minutes of cardio

1 minute rest

2 minutes double jumps

1 minute rest

3 minutes weighted (cable role fed through a garden hose, your delts will burn)

15 minutes every morning

Reply #948330 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Oh, so you're one of those lift(-only) bros, ME? I thought you were a personal trainer but may have my wires crossed.

I assume you have an aversion to getting on a treadmill or going for a jog even though you're up in the gym? This isn't a criticism because let's face it, straight out running is boring for most of us (yawn).

I'll propose something a little bit different then, you could call it a hack - play another sport, one which you don't care about where you have to run but are distracted by the fact you're chasing down a ball. The time will fly by because it's fun.

Go and find somebody who will put you through your paces in squash - I don't know how it happened but recently I've been doing this to randoms with all guns but no endurance and they love it. The last two got injured early on but to their credit were warriors and are now better for it after becoming hyper fixated on chasing down that little black ball. One was an ex-basketballer.

Too bad you're in Adelaide because I'm licking my lips at the prospect of putting you through your paces.

Reply #948339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two months ago

This might be the nicest/meanest PW post ever?

Reply #948341 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

It's all love.

Reply #948370 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754