T_MCD11
Two months ago

Returning to Basketball after 10 years - Jumpshot feedback

So I'm actively working on my fitness and basketball fundamentals again after not playing for around 10 years. I was never much of a shooter, but would like to be.

I’m after some feedback on my jumpshot form, as I’m still working on my 3 point consistency. Most often my misses are from hitting the front of the rim, leading me to think my jumpshot arc is too flat.

Below is a video including some clips of my jumpshot from different angles, aswell as a few slow mo’s at the end.
I’ve also included my freethrow, although I’m not so much looking for help with that as it’s quite consistent.

[Jumpshot form](https://youtu.be/kED2aR_SPyY?si=8YRGmtn_Uarp3xmL)
[Freethrow form](https://youtu.be/DpJMWj-SFk8?si=gjPMMcj3EqiBeT1M)

Topic #52172 | Report this topic

retired  
Two months ago

If the ball is hitting the front of the rim then you need to look at having legs bent more and have more leg power.

Your arc may need to be better so ensure your arm is going straight up rather than on an angel like 150-165 degrees and a good follow through.

Reply #947984 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

As retired said, try and get your arm at a bit of a higher angle at release so that there's more arc in the shot.
So feel the motion through the legs, upper arm, elbow, wrist, fingers in that order.
Can't tell from the vid, but just in case, release the ball off the finger tips, no palm touching
All the best mate

Reply #947990 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

You're kind of jabbing at the shot, and it's more of a push motion than anything that will give the ball a chance to really fall into the ring. You need to get more of your legs under you and release the ball higher as suggested in this post. You seem pretty accurate when you shoot from the top of your jump but when that rhythm is a bit off you're bouncing all over the place. So just concentrate on your legs and the rest will come.

Reply #947993 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two months ago

you also have got a very slight case of the [Aussie] double movement.
Ie you are lifting the ball up into shooting position while the knees are still bending down.
This causes the ball to stall in its motion just slightly when it gets in front of your head, and this slight pause causes your flat arc.
it's not really noticeable until the slow mo because yours is very slight.

US NBA scouts reckon its an Aussie thing, not sure why they say that, possibly because of Simmons, but then his action has pretty much most flaws.

Reply #947995 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two months ago

freethrow is much better, no noticeable double movement.
maybe you could be a little better balanced,
you might be falling forward slightly,
but i am not sure that that could be identified as a "fault".

Reply #947996 | Report this post

T_MCD11  
Two months ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it.

I'll keep the tips in mind next time I practice and try to work on my form.
Are there any drills/exercises that could help?

Reply #948004 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two months ago

Main thing I see is you need to release with your arm higher

My rule of thumb is your elbow should be above your eyes upon release

The jump shit looks like you're flinging from the elbow, resulting in a low arc

Reply #948006 | Report this post

Red84  
Two months ago

It's obvious you need to get more height in the shot soon after its release. On the odd shot you get your legs under you and you kick a bit more, that gives the ball a bit more "early height" which improves accuracy consistent with ME's advice. I think Ballin Fan is on the money, there appears to be a timing problem in your mechanics - I think it results from you thinking that your leg kick will do all the work in getting early height in the shot trajectory. So you move in this order - 1. Get the shooting grip and elbow bend first (which occurs way too early IMO) ....and then 2. you bend your knees to get lower, loading up the kick.
IMO look to get early height in the shot without the need for a big leg kick if you allow for modest uplift in your elbow as part of the shooting action. It is the combination of vertical lift in the elbow (of about 30 cms in the point of the elbow) PLUS the straightening of the shooting arm - occuring simultaneously - you should be striving for, with a distinct snap felt at the release of the ball from your hand. Others will go into the need for greater wrist bend and last finger touch, which is all reasonable. But i think if you correct for the absence of vertical elbow uplift you will greatly improve your shot.

Reply #948158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 am, Tue 22 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754