Basketball213
Last month

South Sudanese Basketball Players

Australia needs to start serious development of young South Sudanese basketball players for their national programs. There is a lack of athleticism within the Boomers. If you look at France, they have integrated the African refugees into their junior programs heavily. This gives them an opportunity to really compete in the future with the U.S. It's like Australia jumps on the "Basketball IQ" bandwagon to justify keeping non athletic players. But that should be a junior’s coaching thing.
The U.S. use to be stuck on the “quarterback IQ” thing and would not integrate black quarterbacks at the position in the past. They eventually got over it now the game is better for it. Australia has the same opportunity with the South Sudanese. Imagine if Bul Koul and Thon Maker had been on the Boomers. You have depth in athleticism and defense but also offensive IQ.

Topic #52167 | Report this topic

SixersFan  
Last month

Why do they need to focus on South Sudanese? Why not any Sudanese? The correct answer is they already focus on serious development with any junior regardless of heritage.

Reath is in the team and he is from South Sudan. He is in the team because he is good enough to be in the team.

Those Australians that went to play for South Sudan aren't good enough to be in the Australian team is is as simple as that.

If juniors are good enough they will make COE or NBA academy. I imagine there are several Sudanese in these programs.

Reply #947755 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Last month

??

Have you been under a rock for the last few years?

Sudanese have been integrating into all sports with their athleticism. Between Sudanese and children of US imports the Boomers are getting less pasty white each tournament.

Reply #947757 | Report this post

JT  
Last month

Moreover, there is a clear trend of these players now opting to play for South Sudan. I don't see that reversing any time soon.

I'm not sure I agree that we lack athleticism and size in our upcoming generation of players either.

Reply #947759 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last month

Are they 'good enough', though?

Is being tall and athletic (& generally skinny) with a reasonable outside shot enough to do well against tough, skilled and physical Euro players at both ends? If they’re playing as stretch forwards, then who’s going to be doing the rebounding for their shots? If Landale and Magnay struggle against a Jokic, how would guys like Thon Maker go?

Can they follow instructions? Can they take criticism constructively?

Can they make sound decisions based on reading the game, or at least make decisions that advanced players would generally make, so that they can fit in fairly quickly?

Can they fit in with a Boomers culture or structure or do they prefer to do their own thing? (Again, are they better suited to Euro-style team ball where they will be banged around a lot, or NBA iso ball where they’re going to be well-protected by the rules?)

That’s just me thinking out loud. I’d assume that everyone, regardless of colour or background, would need to meet most of these criteria in order to play for the Boomers.

Reply #947762 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Last month

Hoopie most of what you're asking I believe is a coaching and development opportunity for associations at the junior levels. Also not all South Sudanese are physically built the same. But even for "thin" guys like Wemby its development and opportunity. If you look at Wemby’s development how many coaches generally would tolerate 1 leg 3 point shots or behind the back step back 3pt, or him grabbing the rebound and pushing it. Not many if any.

Reply #947781 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

Thon can do more than Kay who can't do anything.

Reply #947789 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Short and Fabricated memories around these parts. Kay was excellent in our medal team, yes been average since. Thon I'm not certain his achievements are that great if anything, like he’s been everywhere and now into the Lebanese league.

Reply #947794 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

There are players who play in Japan, so playing in Lebanon is not a problem. Reath also has experience playing in Lebanon.

Reply #947804 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Last month

Dunkman. Maybe you're not aware how international basketball leagues operate. You say Thon now plays in Lebanon. Thon played in China last year. This is now the off season. You will now see players playing in smaller leagues and tournaments such as the Lebanese Leagues, the NZBL, or NBL1 to stay active or even earn extra money.
I think Nick Kay and Doup both played in Asia and if I’m correct I believe only Thon and Doup played in the NBA out of the 3 of them. And I think Nick Kay has been "everywhere" also.

Reply #947805 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

I actually do understand that, I'm just haven’t seen any league where he been great. His nba career was so below par it shouldn’t be mentioned.

Reply #947808 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Last month

Is Magnay playing in the best league? At best, he's playing in the NBL.

Reply #947814 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Magnay certainly not playing in the best league, probably be lucky if it's top 5, more around 7-8, not certain what Magnay has to do with it.

Reply #947820 | Report this post

Alpha  
Last month

Both the African communities and basketball community need to step up in helping younger kids access district basketball. Generally the African kids due to transport and fees only start in 16s, take a year or two to learn team concepts and structure. Then by 18s the time is ticking, finally the IQ is starting to catch up with the height and athleticism. Guys like Rashad does a great job with skill development, but they'll have no idea with team basics.
As for Olympic selection, none was going to make the Boomers apart from Reath. Hell, an old Ingles made the team over Thybulle. And like a lot of immigrants there is national pride, bet a lot of kids with Italian backgrounds would like to suit up for Italy if they couldn't make Socceroos.
AFL will no likely be the winners with the cash to throw at the youth level and get a bunch of 6 9 kids kicking the footy because they get identified at school.
As for the women, if Australia ever gets the African girls to participate then they really will dominate internationally.
So it's a 2 way street, African kids shouldn't get huge resources thrown at them, just need a level playing field and their community needs to take responsibility for some of that as well.

Reply #947831 | Report this post

DraftBust  
Last month

Actually Dunkman Nick Kay plays in the Japanese Basketball League and Thon plays in the Chinese CBA. The Chinese CBA is recognised as a tougher and better league than the Japanese League and has a higher quality of former NBA players.
Thon averages 15pts and 7reb in the CBA where Nick Kay avg 16 & 9.
As to say Thon's entire NBA career was pedestrian the fact that he started and contributed mightily on the defensive end with back to back 5blks game to push the Boston series to 7 games and in his rookie year actually played well in the Toronto series is something our guy Nick Kay could only dream about.
To last 4.5 years in the NBA is an accomplishment in itself. There are role players in the NBA who are on the bench with low stats but high enough when you go per 48. Nick Kay game doesn’t translate in the NBA as he is a liability on the defensive end and offensive end in such a IQ and entertainment league.

Reply #947839 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Your opinion is fine, I'll stick with mine on Maker, re Kay as I’ve said many times previously, I’m not really a fan, I’ve just stood up for him and pointed out some truths that he’s had some good games, just like Maker. Re the b league and CBA, neither are that great, not bad but compared to a fair few euro leagues, not as good. Any way it’s all supposition, we are all allowed our opinions, you can have yours, I’ll stick with mine.

Reply #947844 | Report this post

curtley  
Last month

This has been talked about ad nauseam but I dread the day a South Sudanese team with 1/3rd of the team developed in Australia beats the Boomers or beats a team that means the Boomers get eliminated.

South Sudan did well in the circumstances this Olympics and will only improve in years to come.

At what point has a team got enough opportunity to develop to the point where they become a genuine team ranked 4-8 or even better?

I also think the rule of naturalised players shouldn't apply to teams ranked, say 1-5 in the world. Spain getting Ibaka (when they were a top 2 team) and USA getting Embiid is not right IMO.

Reply #947889 | Report this post

Yup  
Last month

I remember reading an article maybe 10 years ago, going along the lines of once these Sudanese kids have a generation or two in our systems and with our nutrition we can expect all of our Olympic teams, not just basketball, to be like 70%*+ Sudanese descent because they're simply better athletes...

Reply #947909 | Report this post

Coach_Al  
Last month

@Basketball213 - the black players in the French teams are not "African refugees". They are all French by birth, often sons or grandsons of immigrants from French speaking former colonies (or even current ones like Guadeloupe). France has a substantial black population due to their colonial past and this reflects in all their national teams, basketball or other.

Reply #947939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 am, Tue 17 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754