Observer
Two months ago

Sixers import

Any news about sixers import ? Heard a rumour that Chretham signed with Japan and Martin is still injured.
Any names or they just going to sign someone from no where.

Topic #52136 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Two months ago

Jarrell Martin

Reply #945848 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

What are you saying Tornado? Do you think Martin is a done deal?

Martin would be a good fit for the Sixers if he has fully recovered from his knee injury. But it was only last December and a lot of times players take at least a year to get back to their best after knee injuries.

Fingers crossed Sixers management make a good judgement call here! I will certainly feel good about the Sixers starting 5 if they sign a fully healthy Martin.

Reply #945851 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

The injury Martin had is a max 6 months if all goes right, he should be in full training now. Imo he is probably not the best fit next to Humphries defensively, offensively they would be great.

Reply #945856 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

Hopefully that's right Dunkman. I’m not up to speed on exactly how long each type of knee injury takes atm. I’m just going by a lot of different players with knee injuries who I saw come back to play after 6-8 months, but weren’t really at their best until at least a year later.

Agree that he is not perfect defensively next to Isaac, but I think the flexibility of a bigger 4 like Martin will be crucial for the Sixers defensively when he switches to cover the centre position. An athletic 4 like Cheatham would struggle to play as a 5 defensively.

Reply #945858 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Should the Sixers have kept Wiley?

Didn't put up massive numbers, but seemed like a great energy guy last season who got the team and crowd going. Wouldn't think he'd break the bank either.

Or was he so poorly lacking in a specific area that the team simply couldn't keep him around and needed to improve on?

Reply #945862 | Report this post

SixersFan  
Two months ago

Ben, no!

Reply #945864 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

Lol good call Sixersfan

Reply #945866 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Sixers got lot scoring power, they need a quality defensive four that rebounds. It can't be that hard.

Reply #945868 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two months ago

"An athletic 4 like Cheatham would struggle to play as a 5 defensively."

He played a bit of 5 in the Euroleague and did it well. He'd be fine.

Reply #945870 | Report this post

Observer  
Two months ago

Jarell Martin has been signed with Sixers ,our roster is complete.

Reply #945872 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Two months ago

Not sure how he and Humphries co-exist

Reply #945875 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two months ago

"An athletic 4 like Cheatham would struggle to play as a 5 defensively."

"He played a bit of 5 in the Euroleague and did it well. He'd be fine.“

Its a moot point anyway, since he already signed in Japan, but he only played 6 games and averaged 4.8 rebounds in the Euroleague right? How many actual minutes at the 5? Surely was just for handful of minutes?

From what I've seen of Cheatham, he’s a great player, but he’s a 3/4 rather than a 4/5 because he is only 6’6 and is too lightly built to play much 5 successfully at NBL level.

Reply #945879 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Nbl had better watch out, Japanese b league can seem to get who they want. It took a reported one million a year to get Cooks back. Like Australia they limit it to three imports.

Re Martin, he's a good signing, don’t think he’s turning the needle into a top four side though. No problem offensively, on D I’m yet to be convinced on the Humphries, Martin partnership.

What is the whole Sixers list now.

Reply #945882 | Report this post

Jonno  
Two months ago

I like it, hes the type of player they always said they wanted and has NBL championship experience.

The 6ers rotation will look something like

Humphries /Martin
Martin /Starling
Mayen /Marshall
Vasiljevic /Dech
Davis /Cadee

Thats a balanced 9 man rotation,

I think our locals overall are potentially slightly worse, but in a way better having Vasiljevic for the full season and not putting minutes into McCarron who it just didnt work out with.

I think our imports are much better and actually fit what the team needs/wanted.

So I think its overall atleast around the level of the team that had a decent record under Ninnis so should atleast be in the mix for the top 6, which is super hard to crack in the NBL especially given you can already pencil in Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Tasmania and probably Hawks into 4 or 5 of the 6 spots.

But overall I like what Ninnis/Weston have done this off season, and follows the plan and logic they set up from the start of the off season.

Reply #945887 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

@SixersFan - what was wrong with Wiley?

Not advocating for him nor saying your sentiment is incorrect, just curious on general thoughts.

Reply #945889 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Be interesting to see how Mayen goes, Dech might have to start in the three for D. Overall a reasonable team that should be competitive.

Reply #945894 | Report this post

Dave  
Two months ago

I'm still holding out hope that they move one of the young guys to a DP role during the season and bring another high level player in around Christmas as has been alluded to a few times on this forum. They are definitely still a high level player away from giving me any confidence.

Would love to be proven wrong.

Reply #945904 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last month

"How many actual minutes at the 5? Surely was just for handful of minutes?"

He's a natural 4, but he can slide to the 5, which is what Adelaide needed. Against Real Madrid (who had Walter Tavares in the middle) he played extended minutes at the 5 and had 20 points and 8 boards.

He showed last year at NZ he can easily play minutes at the 5 in the NBL, he's a class above most NBL back-up centres.

Reply #945917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Mon 9 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754