word14
Earlier this year

JJs sign Te Rangi as McVeighs replacement

Not who I was expecting them to sign, but probably didn't break the bank to get him so understandable. Would expect Deng to now be their starting 4-man.

Topic #52124 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Earlier this year

Not a great replacement for McVeigh. I'm surprised Te Rangi keeps getting chances, 12 years in the league on to his 4th team now. I would've thought the only team that might've signed him was NZB but I guess Tassie are keeping open the possibility McVeigh might get cut during the season so then they could slot him back in and pull RTR from the roster. Would be a lot harder to do that if they signed a big name/big money player to replace McVeigh.

Reply #945092 | Report this post

word14  
Earlier this year

Had the exact same thought in regards to if McVeigh comes back.

Reply #945093 | Report this post

Knowall  
Earlier this year

Be interesting to see if Roth and Mika can get quality minutes out of Reub.

Reply #945094 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Earlier this year

McVeigh will be stuck in G League similar to how White was. Would earn more $'s in the NBL.

Reply #945097 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Yes, smart if they think McVeigh could come back.

I don't see it happening though this season unless he really hates the joint, two way salary is around 560k US minus taxes etc, I believe, not certain his salary at JJs covers that.

Reply #945098 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Earlier this year

Two way deals pay a lot more than an NBL salary

Reply #945099 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

I'm actually interested to see what Roth can get out of Te Rangi. He's only had one season where he's managed to piece it all together, but I think this might be a good opportunity for him.

Reply #945102 | Report this post

EssenX  
Earlier this year

I wouldn't write RTR off. He's got athleticism and skills, just hasn't put it all together consistently in the NBL. Has played well for the Tall Blacks from time to time. If there's anyone that get the best out of him, it's Roth and co. McVeigh was a basketcase pre-JJs and look at him now.

Reply #945104 | Report this post

KL  
Earlier this year

McVeigh is on that new supplementary two way contract that has been added for next season. Payment is entirely based on games played with no payout if the player gets cut. Not great financially but McVeigh won't care. It gives him the foot in the door and he will be backing himself that he can prove he is an NBA player, get minutes and onto a full contract in due course. Roth must see the abilities and values he rates in Terangi. Don’t be surprised if he revives his career and flourishes in the JJs system.

Reply #945105 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Games played in g league or nba, there must be some sort of base salary ? @ KL, cheers.

Reply #945106 | Report this post

Ben  
Earlier this year

Seriously astounded Te Stinky has had his career salvaged, again.

As Zodiac said, 12 seasons in the league and he's had one 'good' one. Says something.

Would've thought he'd used all of his chances up by now. Good luck to the Jacks trying to get something out of him.

Reply #945107 | Report this post

KL  
Earlier this year

@Dunkman, this is what I could find online:

"Players can sign up to two years on a two-way contract, with no more than an estimated $77,745 guaranteed per season. A two-way contract can guarantee up to half of base compensation (approximately $290,136 for 2024-25) should the player is not waived by the first day of the regular season (1DoS). Players can have up to half of the pro-rated amount guaranteed if signed in-season.

The cut-down date is January 10, though a player must be placed on waivers by January 7; otherwise, the full remaining salary becomes guaranteed. Some may sign later in the year to a non- or partially-guaranteed pro-rated salary, but since they are past the cut-down date, the salary is functionally guaranteed (FG)."

From what I understand, that means if you are kept on contract full season then you will make the $580k or thereabouts in salary that is often spoken about. If you are cut before the start of the regular season you just get the $77K unless the NBA team has guaranteed a larger amount which can be up to the $290K.

Reply #945108 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

^^^^ excellent, makes more sense in the signing of Terangi, McVeigh could be back if it doesn't go well or he doesn’t see much of a chance. Thanks again KL.

Reply #945109 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Earlier this year

Roth will tell Te Rangi that playing for the Jack Jumpers is the same as playing for NZ. That will get the most out of him.

Reply #945155 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Earlier this year

There was a bit if a stuff up with the JJ's media release on this one. It was supposed to say that Te Rangi was the replacement for the guy that carries Jack McVeigh's bags.

Reply #945350 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Terangi certainly got big shoes to fill, he was very good tonight. I get the feeling that JJs think he might be back before season end.

Reply #945351 | Report this post

Baller  
Earlier this year

I heard they had a decent crack at moller first but he wanted to much coin in the end

Reply #945430 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Terangi would have been budget, JJs are deep, McVeigh, big loss though, Imo I think JJs think he might be back and no need spending coin on a fill in.

Reply #945433 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

I heard they had a decent crack at moller first but he wanted to much coin in the end

They should have paid the man, he's seriously underrated.

Reply #945559 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Te Rangi has played some decent ball for Tall Blacks.

He's 29, you never know.

Reply #947698 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Two months ago

TeRangi should be coming off the bench at NBL1 shocked hes got another contract

Reply #947865 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

He's just a fill in on minimum budget, JJs think McVeigh will be back. Under Roth he might be better, who knows.

Reply #947873 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two months ago

Anyone who's been paying attention the past three years knows Te Rangi will play a solid role for the JJs. How many guys who've struggled at other clubs has Roth been able to find a niche for?

Reply #947882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Fri 18 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754