Carlik Jones
Khaman Maluach
Kuany Kuany
JT Thor
Marial Shayok
Nuni Omot
Peter Jok
Wenyen Gabriel

Congrats to Sunday & Majok really happy for them, especially for Sunday after all the crap the 36ers have put him through the past couple of seasons. Kuany Kuany ex-NBL player too.

Topic #52122 | Report this topic

Cram  
Two months ago

Gutted for Thon not getting his clearance from FIBA

Reply #945010 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two months ago

A force in a few years and forever more.
When you look at who could come in next time...

Reply #945012 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Two months ago

And when you look at the potential of Khaman Maluach
17yo 7'2" signed to Duke

I reckon he played the Boomers in Melbourne last year
So much potential upside

Reply #945013 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

My understanding is Australia accepted Thon's release, Sudan wanted him. I really dont see why FIBA couldnt get that done. Sure you dont want players swapping countries non stop, but from adopted country to home country of birth should be a totally fine thing to do.

Reply #945017 | Report this post

Monix  
Two months ago

Especially with that 'betterment of basketball' rule for transfers.
Hard to think of a better reason for it than South Sudan. Astonishing what they've done in such a short amount of time.

Reply #945018 | Report this post

Cram  
Two months ago

Yeah the announcement suggested BA were late in submitting the clearance letter which if true is inexcusable.

Reply #945032 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Half the team being made up of South Sudanese-Australians is pretty awesome. Hope they do well!

I wonder how Duop Reath feels about it considering he's dual nationality which is basically identical to those guys. Probably would be a starter for South Sudan playing key minutes, as opposed to seemingly be relegated to the 3rd string centre for Aus.

Reply #945045 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two months ago

Thon tweeted he started the process April 5th, should have really commenced it earlier. Even though it should only take a couple of days for a decision to be made, but bureaucracy moves slow.

Reply #945046 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Thon Maker put his hand up to play for the boomers a year ago for the world cup and was in the squad of 17 before it was cut to 12 (or something similar). Had they known Landale was going to be unavailable he probably would have made the 12.

BA did the right thing in accepting the release, but i'd also understand why they wouldn't have rushed at the opportunity considering he expressed recent interest in the boomers and had been in final squad contention.

Reply #945047 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

Landale had already gotten injured at that camp up in Cairns and Goorj cut Thon anyway from the initial 17 man squad and told White he was on standby depending on how Landale came up in the warm up games. Landale re-injured his ankle almost immediately so White went to the WC.

Reply #945048 | Report this post

Kingston  
Two months ago

Oh lol my bad - not as close to selection as I had thought

Reply #945051 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

It was a bit disappointing that Goorj had already decided White rather than Thon was going to be Landale's replacement and so no surprise Thon then turned his back on the Boomers and tried to play for South Sudan this year.

Reply #945052 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Sunday Dech didn't play against the USA?

Reply #945055 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Australia has so much depth.

Reply #945058 | Report this post

rjd  
Two months ago

Was JLA ever in contention? I viewed him as a Boomers candidate, so I assumed he must've secured a spot on the SS team instead.

Reply #945083 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two months ago

"It was a bit disappointing that Goorj had already decided White rather than Thon was going to be Landale's replacement."

Not if after the camp the coaching staff thought White was the best replacement.

Reply #945086 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754