tf247
Two months ago

Trend of State Teams and # of kids from certain clubs

Curious if anyone has access to data showing the different players selected to state teams compared to the club they are from, particuluarly from Victoria.
I was interested to see at recent u16 champs that Nunawading had 5 boys in the team and it made me think is it a trend, one off luck of group of boys, or does the number of kids being selected have anything to do with what they are coaching there, what they are focused on, or just who is involved in selection.

I guess I want to see if there is a trend over years around how many are selected from a certain club and does that align to multiple years of development from that club or just luck of the draw.

I have been watching a local club and have noticed in recent years less and less boys being selected from this normally 'big' club and wondering if it is a reflection on the club going backwards, more focused on winning VC then developing kids for the future or just run where they haven't got the best atheletes at that time.

Topic #52116 | Report this topic

Massive  
Two months ago

might just be best club team in country this year. they won u14 nationals easily so looks like they just carried on. club success attracts best players to win big comps but can be a problem on other side. look at sturt. lost players and now only 1 d1 team in finals (i think) which is unbeleivable for them. only had 1 player in boys state team none in girls. similar for 18s i think. but will turn around and players will return once there is a glimer of success again. cycles happen. needs hard work and wuality coaching from young age. no quick solution other than poach and that is unethical.

Reply #944890 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two months ago

the under 18 SA metro girls team this year had 7 girls from Forestville but rather than that being a reflection of the player development of that club its more that clubs ability to attract kids from other clubs. 4 of those girls started at other clubs. Yes their district team is likely the best in the comp but for the same reason. Thats not a knock on their development as I think they do a good job but being centrally located really helps them compared to some of the other clubs that are geographically challenged perhaps?

3 of the 4 best players in SA in that age group are from the one club and have been since they started playing

In sa the girls comps are so uneven that you cant knock anyone for looking for a better club however

Reply #944928 | Report this post

Manders  
Two months ago

Depends on how much DC is willing to put themselves out to push for their players. It's all subjective, and so influence counts. Some DCs are more focussed on their own position and don’t want to push for their kids. I always look at movement between clubs at the end of the year to see who is working for their kids. Lose a couple of good players, then board should really challenge the DC as to what they had done to actively retain talent and become a destination club.

Reply #944931 | Report this post

retired  
Two months ago

Sometimes it comes down to where the State Coach is at and you find players go there to try to advance their chances of being in good with the State Coach.

Also parents do what they think is best for their child and move them to that club as well.

The other issue is the Club itself looks to poach the bette rplayers from the weaker clubs and then they look to win the VJBL Title and get the numbers into the State team as well.

Their are certain Associations in NSW that look to get the better players from smaller and other Associations to win titles etc.

The question at times should be asked is how many of your players in the team are local juniors from scratch in the team and in some cases not many,maybe 1 or 2.

Reply #944938 | Report this post

Lobby  
Two months ago

Pay to play my friends.
Give them a reason to stay.
Or charge development fees to the poaching clubs

Reply #945586 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:46 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754