BBALR
Earlier this year

Junior coaching and parents

I am putting together some information around junior coaches and the way to manage parents. Essentially best methods to keep parents engaged and informed and limit the ugliness that can happen when they go rogue. Anyone know of clubs/bodies that have implemented good systems in this area?

Topic #52113 | Report this topic

Massive  
Earlier this year

has anyone asked the parent group ever to come up with there own set of expectations or code of conduct for the season?

Reply #944802 | Report this post

Manders  
Earlier this year

Team Manager is the key. Conduit between parents and coach, and if they do their job properly they can create he right team spirit amongst parents that then most likely flows to the kids. Conversely if you have a team manager that doesn't engage or speak with parents and just pays the door fee or sits in the bench with arms folded, then it can create a very bad atmosphere. Need to choose the team manager carefully, and be careful to give it to the person that puts their hand up too quickly.

Reply #944804 | Report this post

retired  
Earlier this year

Parents can be difficult to deal with and are only there for their child and not the team.

As a coach I generally look to hold a meeting with the parents at the start of the season to let them know my rules with regard to supporting the team and allowing the coaching staff to do their job and not have them coaching their child from the grandstand.

Also I advise them if their child has an issue with court time for them to come and discuss with the staff and if I hear of whispers in the background from parents then I will bench their child even though some will think that is harsh but parents need to stay out of it and just all group together and support and encourage the whole team.

Reply #944939 | Report this post

+  
Earlier this year

know your parents - if you area volunteer and any of the parents are committee or work for the club - do and implement what they say

Reply #944944 | Report this post

BBALR  
Earlier this year

Manders - Wow. What you said is so spot on. TM can make or break you.

Reply #945428 | Report this post

MattyP  
Earlier this year

Make sure what you want to do is, and will be, supported by DoC and/or committee.

Reply #945584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Fri 18 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754