AussiePride
Two months ago

South Sudan vs USA

South Sudan lost by 1 point to USA 100-101 after leading by 1 with 20 seconds on the clock. This exhibition match was played in London.

Topic #52111 | Report this topic

James Harvey fan  
Two months ago

What's the story with Thon Maker? Is he eligible to play for South Sudan?

Reply #944760 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two months ago

Not yet.
Team will be very good next major tournament when alot of guys have been cleared to play.

Reply #944761 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

What a fantastic contest!
SSD shot very well.
Great to see Majok Deng with some nice buckets.
The crowd were clearly going for the U.S. but SSD almost snagged the win. Shame.

Reply #944762 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

SSD unlucky and possibly robbed on that final play
It looked like it might've been a foul on the offense put-back in the last 2 seconds.

In any case, this game was a profound statement to the world, and an immeasurable inspiration to Sudanese both in the homeland and throughout the diaspora.

I felt a bit of sentiment and joy seeing some familiar faces from the NBL as well.
This will further the fuel the growth of local Sudanese talent

Reply #944764 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Two months ago

Apparently Thon will find out Monday if he's allowed to play. (according to him)

https://x.com/ThonMaker14/status/1814785783263600972

Reply #944769 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two months ago

This speaks volumes to the quality of international basketball that you can take a team like South Sudan, who aren't favoured by really anyone to progress from their group, and who dont even have indoor courts in their country, and they can damn near beat one of the "greatest teams ever assembled".

The fact that this was an exhibition doesn't take anything away from what was achieved. There is no way in hell the Dream Team in 92 lost to any international team, whether they scouted them or not. The fact that these guys can hang with Team USA, today, for 40 minutes, regardless of any other considerations, and play bucket for bucket for a team worth well over a billion dollars puts a smile on my face.

Way to go South Sudan. For all the talking heads saying no one would get within 40 of the USA, you've made them look downright foolish and I love it.

Reply #944779 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

I still believe USA will win this reasonably comfortably, in saying that world basketball is a lot stronger than the original dream team days, most countries have improved immensely.

Reply #944785 | Report this post

ozehooper  
Two months ago

Great effort by South Sudan. Hopefully a sign that the US isn't up to it. The NBA has become softer over the years, especially for the 'superstars' on this team. Coasting by with a favourable whistle, playing no defense and flopping all over the shop just because you're a 'star' and it suits the NBA's narrative should and hopefully will get found out at the international level where there's no room for that BS. If they fail to win the gold it might lead to some serious self-reflection and changes for the better.

Reply #944788 | Report this post

NBLfollower  
Two months ago

Can NBL fans please explain why South Sudan FIBA players are allowed to play as locals in the NBL?

I know there is an asian exemption in the NBL for the Chinese for example, but where do African's fit into that?

I think its been beneficial for the NBL and the Africans to have Bul Kuol and Majok Deng registered as locals, but can anyone clarify the ruling please?

Reply #944790 | Report this post

TrevorTorrance  
Two months ago

The have Aussie passports so are considered as locals.

Reply #944791 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Duel passports, very common in the world now, sport and business.

Reply #944792 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

Most spent the majority of their lives here and obtained citizenship when they arrived in Aust as kids.

Reply #944793 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

^ I meant, after 4yrs.

Reply #944794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754