Master Chief
Earlier this year

36ers sign Marko Marinovic as senior assistant coach

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/marinovic-signs-on-for-nbl25-season

Sorry everyone, don't usually start topics, but have just provided link as this news hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Another interesting move by Adelaide? Again, have to question the motive of both club and assistant, plus how Ninnis must feel about it.

Topic #52110 | Report this topic

KET  
Earlier this year

If you're the Serbian national team assistant coach...why would you want to be an assistant of a domestic club let alone Adelaide? Super confusing!

Good get then, I assume?

Reply #944724 | Report this post

Dorito  
Earlier this year

I actually like the move, now we have quality NBA experience, international experience and euro experience on the bench, Id hope this can only strengthen the staff.. and let's not forget that the nbl now isn't just a pathway for players but also for coaches from around the globe, plus a relatively short season and great lifestyle.

Reply #944726 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Earlier this year

We already signed the lead assistant coach Mike Wells.

Adelaide 36ers are excited to announce the signing of Mike Wells as lead assistant coach for the NBL25 season.

Wells has three decades of coaching experience in the US, including 26 years in the NBA and Team USA.

https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/wells-signs-on-for-nbl25-season

Reply #944727 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Earlier this year

It also raises the question as to how much money they're spending on assitants that could have been used on players?

Reply #944729 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Earlier this year

Looks a good signing, should get on well with Vasiljevic. Smart head coaches rely a lot on good assistants, I like it.

Reply #944734 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Earlier this year

If I am Ninnis my seat is not feeling very comfortable

Reply #944735 | Report this post

AngusH  
Earlier this year

"If I am Ninnis my seat is not feeling very comfortable"

Yep, agree.

Reply #944736 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Earlier this year

the mantra has been sign local players, develop local players...
and the local coach that they are developing is .. Ninnis?

particularly important now that the two lead assistants coming in have their roles clearly defined,
this I suspect was part of the problem that CJ had.

Reply #944738 | Report this post

Dorito  
Earlier this year

Sure you can see it as Ninnis feeling uncomfortable with all the experience and talent around him, but you can also see it as, if you're going to go into battle, who are you going to want have in your corner? the best strongest and most experienced coaches who can help you get the W or a couple nbl1 coaches with no experience at the highest level and take L just to save your ego? I know what I'd prefer.

Reply #944739 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Earlier this year

If you're the Serbian national team assistant coach...why would you want to be an assistant of a domestic club let alone Adelaide? Super confusing!

Did you read the article?

He was head coach of a Serbian league club last season (not Adriatic where the likes of Partizan and Red Star compete in), so the NBL is a step up.

The national team role isn't full time.

Reply #944740 | Report this post

Beantown  
Earlier this year

Yeah, I agree Perthworld, NBL is a step up from where he has been coaching. National teams usually have several assistants and not all of them are accomplished head coaches. Sometimes they are young coaches who are being given an opportunity to learn.

I don't get all the negative assumptions in this thread? Why does he have to be a threat to Ninnis? He has probably been brought in knowing full well this is just an assistant gig. Unless I hear otherwise, I am going to assume Ninnis has been consulted and is fine with it.

The other assumption is that spending money on coaching staff and not players is a bad thing. Given what has happened at the Sixers with all the coaching changes since Joey left, I think the absolute first priority is to get a stable, high quality coaching team that can build a winning culture over several years.

Perth under Gleeson and now Melbourne and Tassie have shown the way. Its no coincidence that players go there and improve, giving them a constant pipeline of new talent. Contrast that with the Sixers who have consistently blown big $$ on players who just come and go, leaving the club with no growth from year to year at all.

The club has been saying since last year they want to build a strong team culture and everything they have been doing since replacing CJ with Ninnis suggests its not just talk. We now have an experienced coach, and a GM and two assistant coaches with decent credentials in place.

I think a decent coaching structure will pay much bigger dividends over time than a third import or a deeper bench. So I'm going to be positive about this move unless he proves otherwise!

Reply #944748 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Earlier this year

Beantown, I think it is more so just an ambigious situation for some.

Ninnis deserved an oppotunity to continue, and did a great job with Kubank. I think the concern is that scouting the globe for high level assistants might have the capacity to destablilse before even properly starting. There should be enough quality assistants in Australia already, and it is not necessary to seek these kind of assistants. Like many have also said, you have to question the motivation for international coaches to completely relocate to the other side of the world for an assistant role only, unless it was seen as a stepping stone. Most were questioning the idea of Joyce being here, and it seemed like Ninnis and Kubank were working well together.

In saying that though, coaches like Roth, Tatum, Maor all came to the league as assistants and were influential before going on the be successful head coaches.

Hopefully, the intention is to just surround Ninnis with some great assistants and that it works out for the best.

Reply #944749 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Earlier this year

Think they're focussed on surrounding Ninnis with X’s and O’s guys with being the head figure/culture guy.

Reply #944750 | Report this post

JT  
Earlier this year

36ers fans have become so conditioned to poor performance and management that they are perceiving genuine investment and sound basketball decision making as some grand conspiracy.

Reply #944774 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Earlier this year

What happened to Brandan Joyce? Didn't we sign him as a lead assistant early on in the piece???

Reply #945096 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Earlier this year

The person paying the bills changed

Reply #945101 | Report this post

KET  
Earlier this year

As in the owner changed or inserting the GM changed it?

Reply #945111 | Report this post

LaPark  
Earlier this year

Achtung Baby - Boti Nagy massively jumped the gun announcing we signed him. Talked to him yes, but I don't think he ever got offered the role. He was interested in coming over though.

Reply #945113 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Earlier this year

Joyce was definitely in the frame back in April but as mentioned above, situation changed

Reply #945119 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Fri 18 Oct 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754