word14
Two months ago

Creek released from SEM contract

Direct quote from Olgun- Mitch Creek has been released from the remainder of his SEM contract in order to pursue overseas opportunities, the team says. He is expected to strongly assess his interest in Asia, sources told ESPN.

Topic #52108 | Report this topic

BeeGee  
Two months ago

Also posted by the NBL on instagram...I wonder how Nathan Sobey is feeling now?

Reply #944563 | Report this post

Superfan  
Two months ago

@Dunkman...…..

Reply #944565 | Report this post

Q Anon  
Two months ago

Sobey knew before he signed

Reply #944566 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Well, well, he hasn't been that successful at SEM despite all the hype, defensively he was a liability, still a very good player, his teams just don’t win. In saying all that I’m still surprised at this news, maybe last year of contract was less money and players only have so long at the top.

Reply #944570 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Disastrous for SEM.

Just when it looked like they had a roster that could've contended.

Reply #944571 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

@Dunkman Creek played a GF for Adelaide and SEM were 17 points up in the semi final decider in 2021

Don't think SEM's woes are mostly his fault.

Reply #944572 | Report this post

word14  
Two months ago

Turning attention to his replacement- assume it's an import? any ideas?

Reply #944573 | Report this post

JMS  
Two months ago

Huge loss for SEM. Mitch has been a great leader and stood up during throughout the difficult last few seasons. I disagree that he is a liability on defence, was rarely beaten and is actually undersized (height wise) at the 4.

It's a pity as it would have been good to see him play as the 2nd or 3rd option this season, I think he would have got some nice looks.

Reply #944574 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Close but no cigar, as I said, good player but over hyped, @ LV as you know with United, D wins championships and the closer to games end the better the D has to be.

Reply #944575 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Gary Clarke.

Reply #944578 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

Creek actually played in two GF's for the 36ers.

It wasn't so much his defence at SEM that was an issue it was more they signed him to huge money at the time to lure him back from the US to be the face of their new team so they cheaped out a bit on the rest of the roster.

I believe his second contract which was after the DV allegations he was said to have taken a pay cut to put better players around him but just ended up with his mates like Sauce (lazy, injured) and Browne (mediocre, injured). The signing of Nader a guy who hadn't played a game in 2 years was an act of desperation.

But one thing that can be said is since Creek & Sobey left the Sixers, both guys who weren't the man here, to become the man at new teams both those teams SEM and the Bullets have struggled for success.

It will be interesting to see if Sobey will now be the man at SEM or if it will be Walton. If it's Sobey don't expect much success for SEM then. He and Creek were very good 2nd or 3rd options they're not #1 options, they can't carry a team.

Reply #944580 | Report this post

Knockdown3  
Two months ago

Great points Zodiac

Reply #944587 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

OK so I retract my pick of SEM in the finals!!

I agree LV creek is very good both ends of the floor and above all else is a competitor willing to try take control of games. Sure that can be a problem at times but far better that than some of the other flakey and highly paid personalities in the league

Reply #944589 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

If Sobey becomes the #1 option, I pray for Phoenix fans. I say this from experience.

Bummer Creek is leaving. Was keen to see how SEM would fare with the overall roster they'd assembled, given they've had recent shit luck.

Reply #944594 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Sorry you're right, 2 GFs with 36ers

I don't think he's a poor defender

SEM were competitive but held back by an underwhelming coach (Mitchell), then last year were 8-6 at the halfway point before being decimated by injuries.

Reply #944597 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two months ago

@Ben

The SEM roster build reminds me of the ones at Brisbane that had Sobey at #1. They are going to struggle (SEM that is).

Shame Creek is gone, I wanted to see him and Sobey going at each other. They aren't exactly best friends.

Reply #944599 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

SEM are already better with Hunter, Glover and Walton at the point already, yes I agree with Sobey but he's on his last chance you would think. Creek wasn’t a team D player and @ QAnon & @ super fan might confirm this as they seem to have intell at SEM, but Kelly had a few run ins with Creek over his D.
Mitchell probably wasn’t the best coach but when everything resolves around one player who has control it’s always going to be hard to win.

Reply #944602 | Report this post

101 annon  
Two months ago

This would be funny if this happens, Creek has left & his replacement is Jarrell Martin. SEM goes gets an Australian backup 5
With Walton, Glover, Hunter & maybe the possibility of Martin it would be fun to watch when they play Sydney
I know this is right out of left field but it would be interesting

Reply #944603 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two months ago

Think underestimating Sobey.

He's never had a PG as good as Walton Jr since Randle 2016/17.

Get the third import right team is strong.

Reply #944610 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two months ago

That's because he wanted to be the PG at the Bullets. He selfishly screwed up their rosters the first few years he was there under Lemanis, who deserves some of the blame, Sobey did the same at the 36ers his last year here. Joey didn't appreciate it too much lol

Reply #944612 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

You can only hope (or to be more accurately, SEM can only hope...) Sobey has matured now and realises what stage he's at with his career.

Reply #944613 | Report this post

Even if the third import is good they seriously lack any front court depth.

Reply #944614 | Report this post

Hooper  
Two months ago

There are so many haters in this forum "overhyped" blah blah, “pray for Phoenix fans”. Like winning an NBL chip is easy, or performing at the level these guys do for years is light. Would love to see the positive Vs negative comment ratios for some of you whingers. From Boomers complaints to roster construction complaints, all you forum GM's need to reevaluate.

Reply #944624 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

@ Hooper, while I agree with you to some aspects, it is an opinions forum for punters thoughts and while championships are hard to win, JJs have made finals every year and won a championship with no player at time of signing rated better than Creek and at a guess on a lot less coin.

Reply #944625 | Report this post

Scout  
Two months ago

JJs have updated their fb page with a background that looks like a Creek....

Reply #944630 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

JJs taking the piss @ scout, lol, Tasmania is a little bit further from Asia than I believe SEM would agree to.

Reply #944631 | Report this post

Kolzee  
Two months ago

Hooper - pull your head in and take a look at your previous posts in other threads. You've expressed negative opinions like those you're criticizing.

You probably have a point but you're not in a position to take the high ground mate

Reply #944636 | Report this post

Billo  
Two months ago

Not 100% surprised by Creek leaving, but it is certainly a blow to SEM. Just when I was getting excited about the year ahead, maybe the 2024/25 expectations have cooled a fraction.

Really like Sobey as a player, but not convinced that his best basketball is when he is the main guy. I like when he has that slight chip on his shoulder, but that sometimes can be a bit difficult to build around.

Let's hope that SEM can make the right replacement/s for Creek or they risk having another average year.

Reply #944637 | Report this post

KL  
Two months ago

Roth is on record that the JJs won't be signing any high end local to fill McVeigh's roster spot. That was however before Creek announced his departure from SEM. So that might give Roth some wriggle room. He is perhaps the only high end local I could see fitting with Roth and the JJs. They will have an absolute war chest if Magnay goes too and I can’t envisage they would not add someone on big $$ if that happens. Roth has known about the McVeigh situation since March and this thing with Creek has been going on for just as long. He knows what is going on with Magnay too. The timing of the Creek announcement does add a little smoke to the whispers but it may all be just coincidence and as Dunkman says is not consistent with the messaging out of SEM on Creek’s departure. Time will tell.

Reply #944643 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Creek may be doing a CJ Bruton sneaky since once a player has been released to an overseas club the NBL team, in this case SEM, can't do anything about it if his subsequent club is back home.

Reply #944651 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

If that eventuates he'll be the most hated man in John Cain Arena

Reply #944654 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

That didn't come out right above - if SEM release Creek because "he's heading overseas" for the upcoming 2024-25 season and he lands in TAS it ends in SEM being up shit creek.

Reply #944655 | Report this post

KL  
Two months ago

Think that rebranding on the JJs Facebook page is more likely something to the do with the upcoming Intercontinental Cup in Singapore with the water colour, grid lines and isobars etc. but quite obscure whatever it is supposed to represent. Like other NBL teams though they do have history of placing hints about upcoming signings on their Facebook page so can see where Scout is coming from.

Reply #944660 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

@LV - I don't think that would bother Mitch, considering he was the most hated man in every other arena not that long ago :)

Reply #944663 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Fair point!

Reply #944680 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two months ago

Surely SEM would release Creek for international opportunities only.

He can't just say I am going to Chyna and then show up in Hobart.

Reply #944682 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

No, but it could work via an overseas club as intermediary.

Reply #944704 | Report this post

Peter  
Two months ago

Met Creek a few times and while he's had a few issues off the court, when it comes to team, he comes across as very loyal and high character. This is why he unfortunately will never were a 36ers jersey again.

Going overseas as a way to get to Tassie is a bit of a dog act to his current team and club so can't see him even considering that

Reply #944706 | Report this post

Superfan  
Two months ago

"while he's had a few issues off the court", talk about an understatement! Lmao

Reply #944742 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Two months ago

JJs CEO with an emphatic no re Creek and JJs this morning on SEN. Weird rumour.

Reply #944743 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

It was never happening, I'm not certain Creek would fit into a Roth coached side, JJs are a club that play as a team, not one player dominant.

Reply #944745 | Report this post

KL  
Two months ago

Interestingly, Roth also said on SEN that in the event McVeigh becomes uncontracted at NBA level at some point he will resume his JJs contract. Also said Magnay most likely to be staying with JJs but if anything emerges with a NBA team it will be in the next few days.

Reply #944756 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two months ago

He's currently playing in the Canadian Elite Basketball League (CEBL). Strange...

Reply #944993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754