a5ian nbl fan
Two months ago

Batemon signs with Bullets for 2 year

https://www.brisbanebullets.com.au/news/bullets-add-import-point-guard-james-batemon-for-nbl25

As i mentioned in the resigning thread
Don't think he's MVP level but can definitely shoot the ball

Topic #52106 | Report this topic

word14  
Two months ago

So that's Brisbanes roster just about complete

PG: Batemon/Norton/Devers
SG: Cook/White/Savage
SF: Prather/McDaniel
PF: Bannan/Adel/Bairstow/Kunen
C: Harrison/Zikarsky/Smith-Milner

Thoughts? Not great on paper but everyone said the same about the NBL22 JJs. My prediction is they'll fight for a play-in spot but not much more than that.

Reply #944509 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two months ago

I feel like hes not MVP level but keen to see him and Cook

Reply #944511 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two months ago

I'd say
PG Batemon / Norton / Savage * DP
SG Cook / White / Devers * DP
SF McDaniel / Prather / Adel
PF Bannan / Smith-Milner / Kunen * DP
C Harrison / Zikarsky ** NS / Bairstow

Both Cook and Batemon can shoot at a good clips but my worry is who is going to run the team.

Reply #944512 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

It's a solid team, could fight for playoffs if things go well, on the other side coin all players can’t afford bad days, there isn’t enough talent to carry any player. Harrison, Prather, Bannan need good consistent seasons. I think they will need McDaniel in the starting five or at least play big minutes.

Reply #944513 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two months ago

Certainly looks a very solid European player standard, normally settle into nbl very nicely.

Reply #944515 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two months ago

Would you say Batemon, Cook, healthy Prather, Adel, Smith-Milner, Bairstow is an upgrade on Sobey, Smith, Scott, Baynes, Mitchell

Reply #944517 | Report this post

word14  
Two months ago

I'd like to think so. That was a very, very poor import trio last season.

Reply #944518 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

Being honest, another lacklustre off-season from the Bullets.

Ownership group wants to keep roster spend at minimum and is comfortable seeing an average team on the floor. So long as franchise value goes up, they're happy. Certainly not an obvious playoff contender, staring at a bottom four finish.

Batemon appears 'ok’ but is NOT the All-NBL point guard Brisbane has been screaming for since they re-entered the league. Another middling signing in a looooong line of middling signings.

Going to be another ‘meh’ season for local fans. If the team comes out of the gate poorly, will be interesting to see what crowds they get in to BEC which seats 10k.

Reply #944542 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

I think many are overestimating Prather's prospects btw.

He looked cooked last season. Cooked. Coming off injury, hadn’t played in three years, yeah I get it.

Aside from a 2020 stint in Israel, he hasn’t performed at a high level in seven years though.

Good dude sure, but he’s not winding the clock back and will be a meek to modest import here this season, which is disappointing when Brisbane need all the firepower they can scrape together. It’s all about (not spending) the money in Brisbane though.

Reply #944544 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two months ago

Is he Jamaican?

Reply #944547 | Report this post

a5ian nbl fan  
Two months ago

I'm not sold on prather because he just gets banged up easy but I wanna be proven wrong

Reply #944551 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Locals just aren't good enough. I rate Bannan long-term but unless he takes a pretty considerable step forward this team is going to have to hope Batemon and/or Cook are MVP-level.

Reply #944592 | Report this post

Basket 91  
Two months ago

Would Batemon/Cook be better than Sobey/Smith?

Reply #944595 | Report this post

Statman84  
Two months ago

@Basket 91

Yes

Reply #944598 | Report this post

LV  
Two months ago

Batemon and Cook played for the same German team, one in 22/23 and the other 23/24, wonder if that's just coincidence.

Both are 27 which is when basketballers often reach their peak. Both look like strong scorers based on their recent numbers in Germany (and Israel too for Batemon).

You never know, best case scenario is those guys are strong, Prather is better than last year after a pre-season and the young frontcourt of Bannan/Harrison/Zikarsky takes a big step forward.

Reply #944600 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two months ago

Hang on, did we release Scott?
I thought he was contracted again this year...

Reply #944627 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two months ago

Yep, mutually agreed to part ways, or so the press release goes.

Reply #944628 | Report this post

Ben  
Two months ago

@Bullets - easy to miss the press release when it was only two sentences :)

Reply #944634 | Report this post

KL  
Two months ago

Roth is on record that the JJs won't be signing any high end local to fill McVeigh’s roster spot. That was however before Creek announced his departure from SEM. So that might give Roth some wriggle room. He is perhaps the only high end local I could see fitting with Roth and the JJs. They will have an absolute war chest if Magnay goes too and I can’t envisage they would not add someone on big $$ if that happens. Roth has known about the McVeigh situation since March and this thing with Creek has been going on for just as long. He knows what is going on with Magnay too. The timing of the Creek announcement does add a little smoke to the whispers but it may all be just coincidence and as Dunkman says is not consistent with the messaging out of SEM on Creek’s departure. Time will tell.

Reply #944642 | Report this post

KL  
Two months ago

Sorry, wrong thread with previous post.

Reply #944644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 am, Sun 8 Sep 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754